Racor Liquid Filtration system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenBuchanan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Make
1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
Hello all,
When I bought my 1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck, a previous owner installed a 'Racor Liquid Filtration System' to filter the oil. It connects where an oil filter is normally screwed on. It uses a stainless steel wire cloth, that is reusable to trap particles in the oil. It comes in 28, 40, 60 and 115 micron. I am not sure what one is installed on mine.
My question is: Does anyone else have one? Do you like it? Do you think it is better than a traditional oil filter?
It is a pain to clean as you remove the top, of which, then oil drips all over, either being caught with paper towels/rags or a container. Then you need to use clean diesel fuel or something to clean the screen, then reinstall.
I guess I'm wondering if all the hassle is worth it or if I should change it back out to a normal filter.
Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
Len Buchanan

Racor Liquid Filtration System

Well,
I have some information of the above product. I was researching the internet and did find that at one time these systems were even marketed to autos. I found a chart which reference different brand cars with different configurations of the filtration system. The latest car model was 1994.
Also, I sent an email to Parker-Hannifin asking about the system.
Their reply was:

"The product line referenced is obsolete. Any support or service parts moved to another company".

So, that pretty much tells me that before next summer, as it is now towards the end of the boating season in the Great Lakes, that I will be removing the 'system' and going with a regular oil filter which will be less messy to deal with when changing.

Hello all,
When I bought my 1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck, a previous owner installed a 'Racor Liquid Filtration System' to filter the oil. It connects where an oil filter is normally screwed on. It uses a stainless steel wire cloth, that is reusable to trap particles in the oil. It comes in 28, 40, 60 and 115 micron. I am not sure what one is installed on mine.
My question is: Does anyone else have one? Do you like it? Do you think it is better than a traditional oil filter?
It is a pain to clean as you remove the top, of which, then oil drips all over, either being caught with paper towels/rags or a container. Then you need to use clean diesel fuel or something to clean the screen, then reinstall.
I guess I'm wondering if all the hassle is worth it or if I should change it back out to a normal filter.
Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
Len Buchanan

I did a quick research of the micron rating of several well-known filter brands, They all filter to 20 microns at 99% efficiency. So, your Racor system does not filter as well as any spin-on filter. Begs the question of whether one filter brand is better than another when they all pretty much filter to 20 microns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom