Question about haulout single handed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Were having the boat hauled out at the boatyard tomorrow. Our plan is to have my wife drop me at the boat. I will run it over to the yard while she drives over with the truck bringing parts.They don't have any available dock space right now so its right into the travel lift.
I wanted to check with you guys. Am i going to be able to manage this single handed? I assume yard staff will take lines and position the boat in the slings??
My wife will be on shore. Should i give her a handset to direct me from shore? First time for me coming out of the water not on a trailer.
Thanks

Can you drive over by car and look over the layout. Or Google earth it. It’s nice to now what you are getting into. Check winds for the day .

If there's yard staff there to receive you, it should be easy. Pretty much just pull into the pit, get a couple of lines to guide it into the slings, kill the engines and walk it the last few feet into the slings.

All the above. Put a couple of dock lines on both sides where people on the dock can reach them.

Last edited:
Depends on the yard...some have a gaggle of people there ..... others have just one or two plus you.

Call ahead and let them explain their procedure and you offer your comfort zone.

One positive thing is it looks like about high tide. I did give the yard a look and it seems straight forward but still wanted to run it by you guys.

Depends on the yard...some have a gaggle of people there ..... others have just one or two plus you.

Call ahead and let them explain their procedure and you offer your comfort zone.

It's intimidating the first time but as long as conditions are nice its nothing to be too concerned about. There are definitely some things to think about and discuss though.

Your job is basically to get the boat into the stall without hitting the sides and to stop short of the final lifting point. That is definitely a one person job. They will likely walk the boat to its final position for hoisting. HOWEVER:
Definitely call them and go over the procedure. They will be able to tell you whether there is likely to be a current affecting your entry to the stall. They will also tell you whether they want you to have fenders out or in and whether they will use your lines at all. My haulout tells me to put everything away. They grab the boat with pikestaffs on the rails in all 4 corners and hold it in position and walk it forward with those. Be conscious that you should not use your bow thruster once you are in the 'zone' unless told to do so. Make sure you have a line of communication with the operator (open window, cell phone, whatever).

If you know where the slings need to be placed (some boats have labels) be aware that often those labels can't be seen from above (which will be the perspective of the travelift operator) so mark them with blue masking tape or similar.

Good luck, take video. It can be fun!
~A

Last edited:
All of the above plus go slow. If you don’t think you’re aligned properly back off and try again. I’ve done this many times and if you relax and go slow it’s easy. Good luck.

Like the above comments, I go right into the slings. I'm on the phone with the Travel Lift guy before I leave my slip to be sure he's ready for me. Slow is good when you're maneuvering. Once or twice, you'll be a pro.:thumb:

Last edited:
I am going into seaview boatyard at shilshole in seattle. It seems like a professional place and they give you a time,in my case 2:00 pm, and expect you to be prompt. They say they will have the slings dropped and waiting for me. I ask them if they wanted me to show up early and they said no they wanted me there at 2. I can see the lift from the bay and with a 30 min trip will give myself time to bob outside the harbor.

Not a bad idea to let the yard know it's your first time. They can advise you any needed lines or fenders. And the crew to be aware and maybe send some extra hands.
No shame....It's all new to everybody on here the first time.
Generally all you have to do is show up, put it between the slings, and follow any directions they give you.
Piece of cake !!

Good luck with your haul out.
Let us know how it went :)

It may make you feel more comfortable if you go a day before and watch them haul a boat or two. That way you will understand their procedures.

Boat yards are not like a doctor's appointment.
They say 2pm, be there ar 2pm.
The only question is, do they provide lines or do you.
When there are 2 lines over, shut down the engine, step ashore and either watch the fun or leave.

Most yards will only allow you to move the boat into the slings at their direction due to insurance, and reduce mishaps.

Everything and yard can be completely different.

So far the best advice I have read is go there the day before, watch a couple boats like yours if possible and talk to the operator when he gets a chance.

If he thinks your a concerned, good guy and knows any of your concerns...it will probably go smoother.

There are horrible places and conditions to get hauled in.

Everything from threading the needle between expensive Yachts to the pit, to horrible cross currents, to getting hauled in a gale (or lose your date for weeks), etc...etc...

So visiting can be a real good experience.

Can you do it yes. Should you do it ummm maybe not. When we take ours to the hill we always have 2 people onboard. Even at our old haulout yard that just had a simple dock as he used a crane we would take a mate. You never know what might happen and im sure you can find a friend that wouldn't mind going for a boat ride and just bring them back in the truck. But as long as you informed the yard you were comming solo and would need assistance that could work as well esp thay had a dock you could pick up someone at

Can you do it yes. Should you do it ummm maybe not. When we take ours to the hill we always have 2 people onboard. Even at our old haulout yard that just had a simple dock as he used a crane we would take a mate. You never know what might happen and im sure you can find a friend that wouldn't mind going for a boat ride and just bring them back in the truck. But as long as you informed the yard you were comming solo and would need assistance that could work as well esp thay had a dock you could pick up someone at

What a bunch of baloney. Folks single large boats frequently. Pulling into a travel lift well is no different than pulling into a berth. In fact, most times it is probably easier in that the wells are a staright shot in. And who ever heard of a marina that did not have dock hamds ready to assist in securing the boat in the well? The slings will alreqdy have been prepared for entry. Inform the yard you are coming in solo, yeah, I guess so, but, beyond that, there is nothing to worry about except for that metoer that might smote you. I have done it alone several times with a 56,000# DeFever 44, the easiest landings I have ever had.

What a bunch of baloney. Folks single large boats frequently. Pulling into a travel lift well is no different than pulling into a berth. In fact, most times it is probably easier in that the wells are a staright shot in. And who ever heard of a marina that did not have dock hamds ready to assist in securing the boat in the well? The slings will alreqdy have been prepared for entry. Inform the yard you are coming in solo, yeah, I guess so, but, beyond that, there is nothing to worry about except for that metoer that might smote you. I have done it alone several times with a 56,000# DeFever 44, the easiest landings I have ever had.
:thumb:

We've been doing it that way for 22 years, without a problem or a thruster.

Like every voyage, mission and circumstances dictate equipment and crew....

Not "typical" conditions or circumstances.

We've been hauled out at three different places in Seattle. I always plan to arrive at the correct time, but I always call ahead about ten minutes before. That gives them a chance to get ready. No lines needed. They have people on both sides with boathooks to guide you in. Shut down engines when told to and either get off the boat or ride it up, whichever you are instructed to do.

kill the engines and walk it the last few feet into the slings.

Anything you can do with engines off, you can do with engines in neutral. My engine doesn't get get turned off until the boat is secure. That is usually when the slings are in place and they're lifted enough to put pressure on the slings.

Anything you can do with engines off, you can do with engines in neutral. My engine gets get turned off until the boat is secure. That is usually when the slings are in place and they're lifted enough to put pressure on the slings.

Normally, I agree. Engines stay running until I'm very sure I won't need them anymore. But when hauling, plenty of yards want them shut down before the props are near the slings, just in case.

At the two yards I use they want fenders and lines stowed. No stuff hanging from the gunwales to get tangled in the slings.

Nowadays one wants me off the boat and it shutdown ASAP. The other I stay aboard and they use long poles to guide the boat once the boat is approx. positioned..

I suggest you call your yard and like you questioned, ask them. That's the best way.
Don't take all our suggestions to heart. ASK the yard.

At the two yards I use they want fenders and lines stowed. No stuff hanging from the gunwales to get tangled in the slings.

Our yard also wants stuff out of the way when coming into the slings. Generally we flip the fenders up onto the side decks when we're ready for the final walk into the slings, get the boat moving, toss the last lines aboard and finish the move by hand and boat hooks.

I am going into seaview boatyard at shilshole in seattle. It seems like a professional place and they give you a time,in my case 2:00 pm, and expect you to be prompt. They say they will have the slings dropped and waiting for me. I ask them if they wanted me to show up early and they said no they wanted me there at 2. I can see the lift from the bay and with a 30 min trip will give myself time to bob outside the harbor.

You will do fine. Seaview lift is well protected and they are pros. I just ease into the bay and they will grab me with the slings, no lines involved. Make sure there is nothing hanging from the rails. No fenders, no kayak rack etc. Come in clean. Once they grab my boat with the sling, they can move it around and adjust the opposite strap to where she needs to be lifted.
Slow is the key and try to keep a line of sight to the operator, he will signal what he needs from you. You will just drive in over the straps until he snugs them up when you are forward enough.

Good luck with this.

Went just fine. The only thing that confused me was i was barley moving forward in neutral and it felt they let me go a little further in then i should .I marked the rails with ribbon indicating the sling points and i watched the sling slowly go by. He gave me a hand signal to stop but i was unsure of the rear sling position and the prop so i didnt hit reverse an he was implying.They caught it just fine and he lifted a sling to hold the boat.The bottom paint is a little thin and they want to coat the prop and rudder with some better coating so a couple change orders right off the bat.

Attachments

• haul out.jpg
    haul out.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 15
  • prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 18
I hauled out at Seaview for my first time a few years ago. I told the yard manager I needed help. He put 2 people on the boat with me and 2 on the walkways next to the travelift to catch lines.

I suggest you call and ask for help. You have an awesome boat (NP45) and you don't wanna damage it. The yard doesn't want you damaging their facility.

Ask for help. No regrets.

PS, it might be a good idea to invest in headsets. They are marriage savers. I also give one to the refuel guy when fueling up so we can talk when I'm on the other side of the boat filling or in the engine room watching the fuel gauge. I have one to the travelift guy and the guys that helped me move into position. Nice calm conversations. Worth their weight in gold.

I have hauled there a few times in a previous vessel (Tollycraft 53). Its a pretty easy one to get into. Now, the last time we were departing it was pretty windy. 20+ knots blowing south. It was much windier than expected when they dropped me. It got a little dicey backing it out as there was a large boat just aft and starboard but they had someone on the corner just in case.

Ultimately I got it out, but was far from ideal. I really like this yard and love that they let you work on most the stuff yourself except the bottom work.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom