PURE insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Anyone have experience with Pure insurance, a newer high end insurance company?

PURE has been around for a while. Actually Privileged Underwtiters Reciprocal Exchange. Not a typical Insurance Co. but we’ll thought of for the most part. Not the cheapest out there. When we used them , one had to insure everything through them. Claims were easy & the biggest selling point was you could get cash value if your house was destroyed, rather than having to rebuild to claim.

High end, the company we should have had when we had the house fire, but I knew that. AIG, Pure, and there is one other that is highly recommend. More premium but superior coverage with less to no hassle. Chubb, that's the other. Alfred Browning Parker masterpiece 1964, Floridan architect. Parts of the house reminded me of a boat, and it was designed to look like a boat from the air. The only good thing is no one was killed.

Attachments

• img_7956_2399883.jpg
    img_7956_2399883.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170731_Fulp House Scouting_0067.jpg
    20170731_Fulp House Scouting_0067.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170731_Fulp House Scouting_0121.jpg
    20170731_Fulp House Scouting_0121.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170731_Fulp House Scouting_0086.jpg
    20170731_Fulp House Scouting_0086.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0780.jpg
    DSC_0780.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.26.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.26.21 PM.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
We have PURE insuring the boat I work on and they seem fine, but we have no claims experience. The PURE navigation limits are a little more generous than the Chubb limits on my own boat, but the Chubb policy is a little less expensive per $ covered.

Unlike some insurers, PURE covers us from west coast North America to Hawaii, and they cover us in Hawaii during storm season. But they won’t extend our nav limits west/south of Hawaii.

You don’t know what your premiums are buying until you file a claim. It’s just all supposition and PR BS until you actually exercise the terms of the contract.

Rick

I have AIG now and Pure is basically the same price.

Trying to decide between the two

I used PURE for the past 4 years for home, auto, and umbrella coverage, but recently switched to Cincinnati.

As others have said, PURE has been around for a while, though was acquired two years ago by Tokio Marine Holdings.

Since the acquisition by Tokio our premiums have increased 50-100% each of the past two years, despite filing no claims and having no changes or other extenuating circumstances. After another 50% increase for the coming year, I shopped around and chose Cincinnati, which seemed to have good references and was significantly less expensive than the PURE quote for the coming year.

My understanding is that Tokio doesn't want to be in certain businesses, such as insuring homes in coastal areas, and will only continue to provide coverage if they're able to get insanely high prices. They apparently designated my entire state as a 'coastal area.'

YMMV, especially if you're not in a coastal area.

I used PURE for the past 4 years for home, auto, and umbrella coverage, but recently switched to Cincinnati.

As others have said, PURE has been around for a while, though was acquired two years ago by Tokio Marine Holdings.

Since the acquisition by Tokio our premiums have increased 50-100% each of the past two years, despite filing no claims and having no changes or other extenuating circumstances. After another 50% increase for the coming year, I shopped around and chose Cincinnati, which seemed to have good references and was significantly less expensive than the PURE quote for the coming year.

My understanding is that Tokio doesn't want to be in certain businesses, such as insuring homes in coastal areas, and will only continue to provide coverage if they're able to get insanely high prices. They apparently designated my entire state as a 'coastal area.'

YMMV, especially if you're not in a coastal area.

That's interesting. I first went with Pure because they had much more reasonable rates and coverage for waterfront property vs Chub and AIG. Nobody else would even quote for waterfront property. I sold the waterfront property so that no longer matters, but it's interesting to see the change.

That's interesting. I first went with Pure because they had much more reasonable rates and coverage for waterfront property vs Chub and AIG. Nobody else would even quote for waterfront property. I sold the waterfront property so that no longer matters, but it's interesting to see the change.

That's why I also went with PURE 4 years ago, for similar reasons. I've experienced a big change since they were bought by Tokio.

I chose PURE for my home in 2009 because they were one of very few companies offering coverage for a high value home in a hurricane prone area. A couple of years ago they raised my rates due to a report from Lexus Nexus that said I had some unpaid mortgages ( which was incorrect). Tried to fight it but they weren’t interested in listening. We’re talking about home insurance not home loans! I went exploring and found better coverage for less. One of the brokers told me PURE had taken some big losses and was getting out of the high value home market. Another example of insurance musical chairs.

Back
Top Bottom