Old 11-25-2020, 03:22 AM   #1

City: Elliot Bay
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
pump out problems

When to pump out for the first time and had problems. at the dock they had a head with a valve with a 90 degree drop. On my boat the waste cap is inset in an alcove and i couldn't get the assembley to set vertical to make a seal. I was thinking perhaps a flexible length of tube.
Have any of you guys seen this?
Attached Thumbnails
waste-water fill.jpg  

magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Most pumpouts have camlock fittings in one place or another. You can likely get a camlock adapter than screws into your deck fitting, then the pumpout can connect directly to that. Or make up an extension of some sort using PCV pipes.

https://www.camlock-fittings.com/pol...couplings.html

Note that some deck fittings have an extra-planetary thread that is completely non-standard, either SAE or metric. My last encounter was 1-1/2" 14 TPI. In that situation, you could have custom adapters made, but I found it was much easier, cheaper, and ultimately more flexible to replace the deck fill with one that uses a standard thread. Sea Dog makes a line of very nice stainless deck fills that are very reasonably priced.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Vessel Name: Stinkpot
Vessel Model: 1985 Hatteras MY 48 - 6V92TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Most pumpouts have camlock fittings in one place or another. You can likely get a camlock adapter than screws into your deck fitting, then the pumpout can connect directly to that. Or make up an extension of some sort using PCV pipes.

https://www.camlock-fittings.com/pol...couplings.html

Note that some deck fittings have an extra-planetary thread that is completely non-standard, either SAE or metric. My last encounter was 1-1/2" 14 TPI. In that situation, you could have custom adapters made, but I found it was much easier, cheaper, and ultimately more flexible to replace the deck fill with one that uses a standard thread. Sea Dog makes a line of very nice stainless deck fills that are very reasonably priced.

Do you know if the 1 - 1/2" - 14 is the most common one? I need to make an adapter that screws on the deck fitting and I'm not sure what tread size it is. Can't access the boat right now. But when I go for a pumpout, I just take the screw-on cam lock adapter they give me and it always fit. I'm thinking my deck fill is pretty standard.
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Yes, I've seen an 18" flex tube with appropriate fittings on each end - probably custom made. Last saw one at Green Turtle Bay Marina - the marina used it for pumpouts. Your setup would be problematic for a 90 degree fitting on the pumpout hose, but would be ok for one that is straight, as most are. Good luck
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Guru

City: AR
Most dock pumpouts don't connect directly to the deck pumpout fitting...you need one of these SeaLand NozAll on Defender It threads into the fitting and sticks out far enough for the pumpout hose to connect to it using a cam lock.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #6

City: Elliot Bay
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
On my boat the cap is held on with a chain. At the pump out station the end of there line had a soft tube with a sealing donet. It looked like it was designed to seal against any hole but i couldnt get it to seal at the back. Do i need to remove the chain and come up with a more direct connection? It was raining like hell when we tried the pumpout so i didnt get any pictures or look real hard at there setup.
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Do you know if the 1 - 1/2" - 14 is the most common one? I need to make an adapter that screws on the deck fitting and I'm not sure what tread size it is. Can't access the boat right now. But when I go for a pumpout, I just take the screw-on cam lock adapter they give me and it always fit. I'm thinking my deck fill is pretty standard.

1-1/2" - 14 tpi in non-standard and I have never seen or heard of a manufactured adapter that fits. The only ones I know of have been custom made.

A standard thread would be 1-1/2" - 11.5 TPI which is standard NPT pitch. The commonly available adapters will fit this.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Most dock pumpouts don't connect directly to the deck pumpout fitting...you need one of these SeaLand NozAll on Defender It threads into the fitting and sticks out far enough for the pumpout hose to connect to it using a cam lock.

--Peggie

Those are great.... as long as you don't have one of the freak-thread fittings.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I needed to remove the chain from the Pumpout fitting to get a seal.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #10
Guru

On my boat the cap is held on with a chain... Do i need to remove the chain?

You definitely need to remove the chain. Chains are fine on water and fuel tank fittings caps 'cuz there's no need to create a vacuum to fill either one. But you only open the deck fill fitting to stick a hose into it to fill water and fuel tanks...you open a waste tank deck fitting to pump out the tank...and it's impossible to pump out a tank if the dock pumpout connection "leaks" air...you have to have tight seal. which cannot happen if a chain is there. So remove the chain...and ALWAYS stow the cap where it CANNOT fall overboard when it's off. This is especially important if you have an older boat with original deckfills that have 16 TPI (threads per inch) instead of the 11 TPI on current fitting...'cuz you will NOT find a replacement that fits...the only solution is a whole new deck fitting. I found this out when I had to replace missing cap on my last boat (1980 Trojan)...and I had access to every wholesaler, importer and other source on the planet!

--Peggie
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Everything floats when you drop it overboard, it either floats on top of the water or floats on the bottom of the water. Deck caps definitely float on the bottom of the water. Good advice about securing the cap when it is off.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Everything floats when you drop it overboard, it either floats on top of the water or floats on the bottom of the water. Deck caps definitely float on the bottom of the water. Good advice about securing the cap when it is off.
Yup! And I have one of those 16TPI deck fittings. Donít want that floating on the bottom!
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
When to pump out for the first time and had problems. at the dock they had a head with a valve with a 90 degree drop. On my boat the waste cap is inset in an alcove and i couldn't get the assembley to set vertical to make a seal. I was thinking perhaps a flexible length of tube.
If the pump-out hose is run up the walkway then the nozzle with the 90* might go in with a slight bend of the hose. It won't work coming perpendicular to the boat side.
Yes the chain must go. Its usually held in place by a screw inside the fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
waste-water fill-2.jpg  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
Maybe a good time to relocate the pump out fitting to a more accessible location???
Old 11-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #15

City: Lavonia,GA - Charleston,SC
Vessel Name: As You Wish
Vessel Model: 2010 Marine Trader 38 SD
As noted, chain must go to make sure you're able to create a proper vacuum. I've bought a selection of different adapters from here.

https://marinesan.com/site-nozzle-qc...ash-guard-1-5/

All the marinas I've encountered have a banjo fitting at the end of their hoses with their nozzle attached. Easy to just remove whateverfinal fitting they have and install yours. I prefere a nozzle with a sight glass just to make sure I'm getting good flow and the suction hose with splash guard . The splash guard helps create a secondary seal around the deck fitting for good suction.
jbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
Guru

Definitely remove the chain. To get a good seal you can run a hose with water and run it around the deck fitting so that any vacuum leak will suck in the garden hose water instead of air. Works easily and great.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
Guru

There's a sight glass in most dock pumpout hoses.

--Peggie