Proper VHF hailing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
We got the deal done today on the now our Grand Banks 42 Classic. Yes the old adage about the two best days in a boater’s life is true with me so I’m relishing the moment! I’m embarrassed to admit what number boat this is, but at 62 I remind myself that even with the hope of many healthy years ahead, there won’t be very many more “euphoric boat purchase days”
The plan is to begin the trip from Nashville TN to Guntersville Alabama Monday morning, where we will winter, and then take her to our Josephine AL slip on the AL coast until we start serious cruising in a year or so.

My question is what it is the proper hailing technique on the VHF radio when trying to reach other parties from a Trawler? We’ve seen every approach under the sun in our years of sailing however I always tried to identify ourselves as “the sailing vessel “fill in the blank at the time”name. It might be overkill on my part but in narrow channels, high traffic count, etc. I suspect the vessel I’m calling, and quite possibly other nearby vessels appreciate knowing which boat and where, as to understand my intentions or request.
With a trawler is it “motor vessel”, “power vessel” , “motor yacht”, “ or “ trawler Sea Turtle”? An acceptable answer might be it doesn’t matter, however I’ve always desired to be specific and innuniciate plainly, at least as much so as a born and raised southerner is capable! ?

Probably power boat would be the best description as many boaters may not readily recognize your boat as a trawler or yacht.

Generally I refer to my boat relative to the other vessel. "Vessel Petunia, this is the vessel Slow Hand a stern of you requesting permission to overtake you." "Tug Rockhall, this is the vessel Slow Hand 2 miles a head of you, 1 whistle or 2?"

Ted

Any of those would be fine....though some may disagree because they dont believe a recreational boat can be a trawler.

If hailing a commercial vessel, lock, or bridge I identify myself as "pleasure craft xxx'. The label is effective, we are last in line for locks and bridges so no mistakes will be made. Other than that it's just the vessel name. Doesn't matter if you're a sailboat, motor yacht, or trawler. Nobody cares. Back when I was sailing I would kid my friends when they called themselves "sailing vessel xxx". Asked them if they needed help getting thier engine fixed or needed a tow in. Sailing vessels do not have engines (running). If your engine is running, you are NOT a "sailing vessel". If you need to make the distinction for some reason like bridge height, "sailboat xxx" is the proper term. And if your boat has never pushed or pulled barges or ships around it's not a "tug". If it doesn't stink like fish it's not a "trawler". Used to be a real trawler that was converted to a yacht in the marina, in the right weather you could still smell the fish.

I would favor trawler or motor vessel. The yacht thing may put some people off.
I also appreciate contact by other vessels to exchange intentions and don't care much what they call me.
Good luck w the new vessel.
We have stopped at Guntersville with the mororhome and really enjoyed it.

We usually just call 2x2, say the name of the boat we are calling, or lock or whatever, 2 times followed by this is Black Dog 2 times. There really isn’t a lot of need for stating what type of vessel you are. We repeat it 2 times because a lot of times the first time you say the name people don’t pick up on it so we do a repeat. We do try to speak slowly and distinctly so we are understandable.

.....My question is what it is the proper hailing technique on the VHF radio when trying to reach other parties from a Trawler?.... in narrow channels, high traffic count, etc. I suspect the vessel I’m calling, and quite possibly other nearby vessels appreciate knowing which boat and where, ......

It can depend upon the local preferences and whether you are calling a recreational vessel, commercial vessel or military. Observe the hails and responses in the area you are operating in and learn what is commonly used and accpetable. Especially valuable when communicating with commercial vessels.

In general their vessel name, if known, first. Then your vessel name and your relative position to them. I do think it's good to let the other party know you are a pleasure vessel especially when hailing commercial or military. I don't give a style of boat i.e. trawler, tug, sport fisher etc. Yacht, motor yacht, pleasure vessel all work fine.

If you don't have the other vessel's name try using their geographic location. i.e. "Calling the inbound ship at buoy 13"

The biggest problem I have experienced is hailing military vessels. I can only guess why it's difficult to extablish comms. Maybe someone with military experience can fill us in as to why. Followed by working fish boats. They'll be on their working channel(s), possibly not even VHF.

On a log race in San Diego, with 6 other boats and had to pass close to an anchored Navy frigate off the Silver Strand. Contacted Navy vessel and stated our intentions. Passed without being stopped by Naval security, unlike some of the other boats who failed to identify themselves.

Forgot to include a photo of the event.

Attachments

• Warship.jpg
    Warship.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 48
I identify ourselves as a motor vessel when hailing on the vhf but if I'm in sight of another boat, I'll usually hail them by what I view them as. For instance, If I want to call a sailboat, I'll hail them as a sailboat, weather under power or not such as "sailboat off of my port bow, this is the motor vessel Yellowbird off of your starboard. What are your intentions?". Or, "Sportfisherman headed south near marker 15 on the Pungo River. This is the motor vessel Yellowbird ahead of you. We'll stay to the outside of the channel and you can just come on past us. Your wake will be ok". All actual hails that I've made in the past. AIS makes it so much easier nowadays, though.

We got the deal done today on the now our Grand Banks 42 Classic . . . With a trawler is it “motor vessel”, “power vessel” , “motor yacht”, “ or “ trawler Sea Turtle”? An acceptable answer might be it doesn’t matter, however I’ve always desired to be specific and innuniciate plainly, at least as much so as a born and raised southerner is capable! ��

Hearty congrats on your new to you GB 42, Rodbone! What a handsome, satisfying boat.

When trying to establish VHF comms with a vessel in sight, my thoughts have always turned to the context of the situation. Who is likely to be listening to the VHF in the pilothouse of the vessel I'm trying to hail? What are they likely to see if I succeed in getting them to look my way?

For example, when running a GB 42 encountering a shrimp boat, I wouldn't presume to call myself a trawler, but instead say "this is the westbound motor yacht _____ approaching from your east." (Assuming said shrimper is operating in your home waters along the Alabama coast, there should be no issues with your accent)!

When hailing another recreational vessel, I would still tend to favor identifying a trawler yacht as a "motor yacht," since many recreational boaters make no distinction. Same goes for bridgetenders or lockkeepers, commercial traffic, LEO or military vessels. If there are multiple vessels in sight, referring to mine as a motor yacht might help distinguish me from the tug and barge also approaching from half a mile astern of me, that a novice boater might think qualifies as a motor vessel. (It does, but it ain't the same thing at all).

Last edited:
Lots of good and differing advice, except I would never refer to myself as a "yacht." It's pretentious sounding and generally results in negative encounters especially in less developed areas or commercial ports.

I use “power boat” (to describe us) but I’m in a different league than you all.

I describe us as private trawler. If they confuse us with a commercial fishing boat even better.

Thanks @ASD, so officially we would use either “motor vessel” or “recreational vessel”

Having been up and down the rivers you will be transiting a few times, I can reiterate with certitude that your best bet with locks will be "recreational vessel." If you have AIS transponder with your identification as a rec vessel properly entered, the locks already know you are there and who and what you are, and you can just call them with your vessel name. The other advice you have been given is all good. :)

If you are hailing another vessel (actually if you are hailing anyone), you say their name first. The Coast Guard would have you say it three times as in "Blue Bayou, Blue Bayou, Blue Bayou". That's all you have to say, then wait for their response. You don't have to say your vessel's name or type when you hail them.

Once they answer, you say what you need to say. If your vessel's type or name is important, say it. If not, don't bother.

I refer to my vessel as a "trawler". If someone doesn't like that, it's their problem.

I once asked someone (on the radio) if they were that "large white trawler approaching me". Their answer was (in a huffy voice) "No, this is a motor yacht!"

Last edited:
Personally, I don't bother with the "motor vessel" or other designation when hailing unless there's a reason it would matter in a given situation. And I don't generally waste airtime repeating names 3 times either.

Depending on distance to the other boat and if I've heard them on the radio to indicate they're paying attention, I'll either repeat once or twice. You want them to hear you, but no need to do more than it takes to catch their attention. So typical for me would be "xxxx, xxxx, this is Hour Glass..."

In general, the goal is to be clear and concise. If you're getting in contact and getting the message across quickly (especially before switching off 16 where you don't want to waste airtime) and you're not having to repeat or clarify things to the other person, you're generally doing it right.

From.... https://www.fcc.gov/ship-radio-stations

How to Call Another Ship Using Voice Calling

Make sure your radio is on.
Speak directly into the microphone in a normal tone of voice -- clearly -- distinctly.
Select Channel 16 (156.8 MHz) and listen to make sure it is not being used. NOTE: Channel 9 (156.45 MHz) may be used by recreational vessels for general-purpose calling. This frequency should be used whenever possible to relieve congestion on Channel 16.
When the channel is quiet, press the microphone button and call the ship you wish to call. Say "[name of ship being called] THIS IS [your ship's name and call sign (if applicable)]."
Once contact is made on Channel 16, you must switch to a ship-to-ship channel.
After communications are completed, each ship must give its call sign or ship name and switch to Channel 16.

When the name of the vessel being hailed is unknown, an alternative protocol may be used, e.g.:

ME (delivering a 95' three-decked dinner-dance / sightseeing boat across the Gulf of Mexico, about 50 miles offshore from anywhere).
VESSEL HAILING (a deep-water shrimp trawler and the only other vessel in sight).

VESSEL HAILING: "How 'bout that big ol' blue & white riverboat lookin' thang over there, come back?"

ME: "Vessel hailing, this is the motor vessel XXXX XXXXX, channel one-six, over."

VESSEL HAILING (still on 16): "Yeah, cap'n, you got any cigarettes on that thang you wanna trade for a few pounds of shrimp?"

When the name of the vessel being hailed is unknown, an alternative protocol may be used, e.g.:

ME (delivering a 95' three-decked dinner-dance / sightseeing boat across the Gulf of Mexico, about 50 miles offshore from anywhere).
VESSEL HAILING (a deep-water shrimp trawler and the only other vessel in sight).

VESSEL HAILING: "How 'bout that big ol' blue & white riverboat lookin' thang over there, come back?"

ME: "Vessel hailing, this is the motor vessel XXXX XXXXX, channel one-six, over."

VESSEL HAILING (still on 16): "Yeah, cap'n, you got any cigarettes on that thang you wanna trade for a few pounds of shrimp?"

You are lucky to even understand what many are trying to say.

I have been on numerous rescues where I almost got so frustrated and gave up listening to fishing boat captains calling for help...... :eek:

Radio procedures????? "we don't need no stink'n procedures" :D

Personally, I don't bother with the "motor vessel" or other designation when hailing unless there's a reason it would matter in a given situation. And I don't generally waste airtime repeating names 3 times either.

Depending on distance to the other boat and if I've heard them on the radio to indicate they're paying attention, I'll either repeat once or twice. You want them to hear you, but no need to do more than it takes to catch their attention. So typical for me would be "xxxx, xxxx, this is Hour Glass..."

In general, the goal is to be clear and concise. If you're getting in contact and getting the message across quickly (especially before switching off 16 where you don't want to waste airtime) and you're not having to repeat or clarify things to the other person, you're generally doing it right.

I generally say the name of the boat or location I am calling twice, but the Coast Guard repeats everything three times. If there were to be anything to relieve congestion on the VHF, it would have to start with the Coast Guard itself.

When calling, I don't identify myself in the original call. I wait for a reply and then say the name of my boat and description if necessary.

The major problem without IDing yourself in the initial call is often the other vessel waits for a second call or hesitates with the "vessel hailing XXX (them), go ahead". So maybe, mabe not a wasted transmission.

Also being clear and concise is important, but many are not good on the radio and sometimes the first call or two can be confusing, so NOT recommending a channel and switching immediately is an issue in some areas at busy times.

The people who say "up one" don't get the rules either (in the USA).

What I usually try..... " vessel xxx, vessel xxx, this is Freedom, switch and answer ch xx"

Which should be the only transmission on ch 16 needed. I sometimes try ch 13 first hoping the rec boater is also savy....and it almost always works on commercial vessels. The other freq I would use would be if it was a monitored waterway with a mandated frequency.

Last edited:
The major problem without IDing yourself in the initial call is often the other vessel waits for a second call or hesitates with the "vessel hailing XXX (them), go ahead". So maybe, mabe not a wasted transmission.

Also being clear and concise is important, but many are not good on the radio and sometimes the first call or two can be confusing, so NOT recommending a channel and switching immediately is an issue in some areas at busy times.

The people who say "up one" don't get the rules either (in the USA).

What I usually try..... " vessel xxx, vessel xxx, this is Freedom, switch and answer ch xx"

Which should be the only transmission on ch 16 needed. I sometimes try ch 13 first hoping the rec boater is also savy....and it almost always works on commercial vessels. The other freq I would use would be if it was a monitored waterway with a mandated frequency.

Agreed on ID-ing who's calling being useful. I typically skip the "switch and answer" part to keep the initial transmission short. No reason to waste airtime before I know the other guy is even listening. So I'd typically transmit something like "Freedom, Freedom, this is Hour Glass on one-six" and expect a response of something like "Hour Glass, this is Freedom, switch six-eight".

I've gotten in the habit of specifying which channel I'm hailing on based on the behavior of many commercial boats. And I appreciate when people do it as well. Saves those with multiple VHFs having to look to see which one is squawking. If I know what channel I'm hearing a call on, I know which mic to pick up for a response.

...and leave the "over and out" to the movie people who do not know better.

Funny. I’ve even seen them holding the microphone backwards in movies.

BTW we tend to use “over” at work on our TEAMS meetings quite often, especially after giving a long discourse. But then again, these guys are all rocket-heads and they have their own (very cool) language

I've gotten in the habit of specifying which channel I'm hailing on based on the behavior of many commercial boats. And I appreciate when people do it as well. Saves those with multiple VHFs having to look to see which one is squawking. If I know what channel I'm hearing a call on, I know which mic to pick up for a response.

Multiple VHFs or monitoring multiple channels. Give the recipient a clue.

Coming from an emergency services background, I have always been taught and operated under the main premise that an important message must be clear, concise, and most importantly understood. To achieve this goal, confirmation is required.

While not tying up the airways (in particular Ch. 16) is important, ensuring that your communication is understood is critical, and doing so in a prescribed manner often results in taking less time in the long run.

When hailing, always use the "hey you, it's me" approach. The official method does call for using each vessel name 3 times, hence that is what the Coast Guard does. (Lead by example type of thing). Many boaters successfully shorten this to 2 times. Two times is actually needed (minimum) to stand a better chance of not only being heard but actually achieving recognition. The first time may get someone's attention, but was that really me they were calling??? The second time confirms that it was you being hailed.

So it should go something like: "Freedom, Freedom.....this is Pilitak, Pilitak on Channel 16 (one-six)". Followed by: "Pilitak, Pilitak.....this is Freedom.....switch to 68 (six-eight), 68". This is best followed by "Roger Freedom 68".
This method takes only a few seconds longer than trying some "short cut" method, but it ensures that the message is clear, received, and most importantly understood. Without confirmation, the original caller is guessing that the message was actually "complete and understood". I have heard many, many "botched" attempts at radio communication that end up taking much more radio time (CH 16) and "contacts" to finally get everyone on the same page (in this case, channel). If regularly contacting the same vessel (say a companion boat), after the first contact, this can be shortened as long as both mariners understand how that is being done.

I have heard many even professional mariners violate good radio communication protocol. A prime example locally is the BC Ferries (they operate large vessels on multiple routes on a regular basis). Regularly they announce a "Securite, Securite, Securite... then a message giving their intentions like direction of travel, what pass, etc." However, they do not repeat their vessel name at all, and they ramble off their message speaking very, very quickly. I know what they are saying having heard the message hundreds of times, but most times I miss key parts like vessel name, direction, etc. According to radio protocol, if a message is important enough to broadcast, ensuring understanding (or making best efforts to do so) is most important, or why bother to even do the broadcast? If they repeated the vessel name at least 2 times and slowed down to improve message clarity, it would add only a scant few seconds to the overall time to deliver the message, but it would much more likely actually be understood. "What good is babbling something over the air that few (if any) actually understand" just to do it quickly??
Obviously this must be "adapted" if you don't know the name of the vessel you are trying to contact, and then things like descriptions, positions, directions of travel, etc. are needed (at first).

After 26 years in LE I have some (obviously) ingrained habits when it comes to radio communication. As a result, I have to consciously think about what to say and how I say in on the VHF. It’s not automatic like it is at work.

For instance, at work the first transmission is always your call sign. The exact opposite procedure when on the VHF.

Back
Top Bottom