Propane oven/range question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
Howdy, I’ve got a regular old propane oven that has a shelf built about 3 maybe 4 inches below the unit. It’s good to slide a few thin pans on top of but has limited function. Under that are some cubby holes for additional pots and pans. The top surface of the shelf has 4” square ceramic tiles glued to it. In order to do some decent cleaning under the stove I removed the shelf and am considering not reinstalling it.
I don’t know if the tiled shelf is there as a heat barrier or not.
It’s not part of the oven, just part of the build.
It’s a pain to remove the way it was installed.
The builder had it screwed to some wooden rails and the screw heads were tiled over. Pretty but hardly serviceable as I am unable to get my arm between the oven and the shelf to clean.
Any ideas as to if it’s needed as a thermal barrier?
I could fashion it to just slide in and out but I will have to narrow the shelf down a bit and that will require trimming the tiles down on each side. It only came out of the cavity canted to the side.
Thanks

Well, I asked my neighbor the same question above and she wisely suggest I run the oven and take a temperature reading.
So after letting it maintain a 500 degree temp for a half hour or so with a temperature probe about an inch and a half below the oven the temp only reached 121 degrees.
If the internet is correct paper won’t ignite spontaneously until it’s temperature reaches somewhere around 450 degrees Fahrenheit then 121 degrees should be more than safe without any heat barrier.
Only problem is now I need to go buy a frozen pizza because that’s all I’ve ever cooked in the oven and the boat now reeks of pepperoni.
Much better smell than normal I’m sure.

Your thought pattern is correct. The tile was not there at the request of the stove manufacturer.

Thanks Tiltrider1

Back
Top Bottom