Poll: Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of the choices best describes your insurance situation

• I carry insurance on damage to my boat plus liability

Votes: 122 89.7%
  • I don't have coverage on my boat, but I do have liability insurance.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I don't have either.

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Boat insurance is what it is. If you can afford to self insure and sleep well at night, great. I lost a 40 ft trawler and a 40 ft sailboat in hurricane Katrina. Happy I had insurance on both. There is great disparity in rates for boat insurance so shop around. For low cost check association like AARP or USAA, the tow companies can be a good source Boat US and Sea Tow, Nationwide has a good low cost policy. I have coverage on my trawler and sailboat with Foremost.

I was very impressed by what Boat US offered as a quote on my boat last week, I needed a fresh survey but had it done and will be switching... Survey cost saved in one season !!!

I'm in the insurance business, sorry I wasn't more specific. Rather than name the companies whose policies I feel have glaring weaknesses, I will simply state the companies whose policies I feel are good. Ace and Chubb for marine policies. I am a State Farm agent and their policy is equally strong, as long as you buy $1 million in liability and have an Umbrella. State Farm covers environmental damage as part of liability, while the other two have separate environmental damage coverage.

I have reviewed nearly a dozen different policies and all are different. Not only do most boat owners not know their own policies, most general lines insurance agents don,t know them either. [emoji27]

Back
Top Bottom