Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 AM   #41
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Large locking with 100 pleasure boats is a rare event in Seattle but does happen on holiday weekends. The locks are open to the public and you can stand on the gates and watch all the insanity without having to participate.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 AM   #42
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
John and Tom, here's what the bollards look like in all the dams on both rivers EXCEPT for Bonneville. Those have a weird setup where the part you tie to is a couple of feet higher than this setup.

Tom, note that we tie up using only a midship line, not bow and stern lines. Remind me when you call to explain why.

Everything about the tie off in the picture is wrong. The lines should not be cleared/wrapped on the bollard. The line on the rail will rip off the railing if the bollard hangs up.

fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #43
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Everything about the tie off in the picture is wrong. The lines should not be cleared/wrapped on the bollard. The line on the rail will rip off the railing if the bollard hangs up.

Not sure about cleating on the bollard (I don’t know locks at all) but I also thought about that rail when I first saw the picture. However, the line runs from the deck cleat, to the bollard, is cleated there, then is simply laying over the top of the rail. It is not attached to the rail and will not provide any stress on the rail.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #44
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
From my RCMSAR training, the only thing "wrong" with Tina's method is the lock on the last of her figure 8s on the bollard. The free end should be held, not locked and dropped over the rail.
The securing of the line on the bollard should depend on friction, so if it isn't tight enough, another wrap will suffice. If locked, as in the photo, and jerked tight too many times, it may be impossible to undo.
Otherwise, I wouldn't criticize Mike or Tina, as they live this and know exactly what they are doing.

I was in Revelstoke last week, saw the snowpack that has to melt and come down past you guys. The current up there is lots more than what you see too.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #45
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Not sure about cleating on the bollard (I don’t know locks at all) but I also thought about that rail when I first saw the picture. However, the line runs from the deck cleat, to the bollard, is cleated there, then is simply laying over the top of the rail. It is not attached to the rail and will not provide any stress on the rail.
After a closer look I see that the line is free over the rail, but that doesn't matter. If they are lowering and the bollard hangs up the rail and the cleat are coming off. As for cleating off to the bollard I have never seem it before. My observation is that folks attach a line to the mid cleat, run it around the bollard and back to the boat and hold on the cleat.

Now that I have studied the picture I see its absolutely wrong. If the bollard hangs up, the cleat is going to rip out. Once pressure is placed on the line there will be no way to get it off. The knife is the only option.

I am not being confrentational. People need to know the risks of not being able to release the line on a floating bollard if it hangs up.
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #46
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Moving bollards makes it easy. I've not been on the Colombia, but on the Welland and St. Lawrence, some of which were 60' lifts. I would advise making a fender board. This is just a 10 or 12' 2x6 or 2x8 of rough lumber. Drill some holes for lines, hang it outside your fenders. The board is what scrapes on the rough lock sides, and will slide easier than your fenders. Going up, if there is pressure from the lock currents (serious pressure in the Welland locks) your boat is smashing the fenders into the rough concrete, and they are trying to tear themselves off the cleats. Going down the lock is draining and there is usually no pressure, but if there is the fenders try to climb over the rail. After one or two you get the hang of it.

The Welland was the worst: drive into a dark canyon, they throw lines down from 70' above. You are supposed to control the boat with these lines going straight up, which need to be tended and hauled in as the water rises. On the St. Lawrence there were two locks with the floating bollards, made it dead easy.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #47
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
As someone pointed out, the line that goes over the railing is just there so she can grab it in a hurry if needed. She often wanders the bow to stretch her legs and get some sun but when we start to go up or down she's right there at her station at the cleat/bollard.

When the lock is either going up or down it's doing that at the rate of about 5' per minute. I doubt that if the bollard hung up, she wouldn't have time to unwrap the line even if it was just figure 8'd around the bollard horns, hence the knife. It's always attached to her pfd so she knows where it is and knows how to open it. Dock lines are cheap, I have lots, so if she had to cut one I really wouldn't care.

Guys (and WifeyB ) when Tina and I first met about 12 years ago she'd never been on a boat. Ever. It took her awhile to become comfortable going out on the deck when the boat was moving, and even more time to build her confidence in going through the locks.

Now, I joke that I have the best deck hand on the Columbia. I don't judge her on how fancy she is with how she does with the lines on the bollard, but I do judge her on how quickly she gets us secured.

Last year we were going through a lock. From where I drive I can't see her or the bollard so I just bring the boat up to where I think the bollard is and rely on her to give me directions if I have to move the boat. I asked her if I needed to move forward or backward and she replied "We're good!"

I asked her to let me know when we were secured so I could call the lockmaster on the VHF and let him know that. Her reply to me was "I just told you we're good. We're already secured."

So, as I said, I don't give brownie points for fancy knots. She gets extra points for how quickly she can get us secured. And she ain't half bad looking either!

And as I said earlier, I really don't care if the fenders get scraped up by the lock walls. These fenders are probably 15 years old, show lots of "battle scars" but still work well. I haven't had any guests comment on my fenders so I guess some things just are not all that important. They're like a tool--they're made to be used and when they're used they are going to have the marks to show for it.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #48

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Tiltrider, sounds like you have had the joy of going through the locks after Seafair....
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
Tiltrider, sounds like you have had the joy of going through the locks after Seafair....
Seafair, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Now I moore the boat in salt water and drive the car past the locks.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #50
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Seafair, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Now I moore the boat in salt water and drive the car past the locks.
When you drive past do they make you have 50' lines in your car like they do on your boat?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
When you drive past do they make you have 50' lines in your car like they do on your boat?
No, but the homeless are more inebriated than the boat operators and there are a lot more of them.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #52
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Dock to St. Helens

Got off the winter dock around 1230. Heavy current all the way to St. Helens too. Lots of ship traffic too. Pretty bad when you get pasted by a bulk carrier. We had following seas with the wind a good stead 15kts. I am loving my new auto pilot.

Stopped at St. Helens marina to fuel up. We took on 287 gallons at $3 per gallon. From there we went to the city docks where they have electric and power. We like St. Helens as it is peaceful and folks just come down to the docks to see what is going on. So sitting on the bow enjoying a scotch and a cigar and everyone wants to know about your boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	76588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	76589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	76590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	76591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	76592  

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #53
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Left our home dock this morning and are now tied up at Govt Island a free dock provided by Oregon. We stopped at Donaldson Marine to top off the tanks, 195 gals. Last time we got fuel was Oak Harbor Wash last September.
The current isn’t as bad as I thought it might be but I suspect that as we get closer to Bonneville dam it will pick up a bit more. At 1600 rpm we are at 4.5 knots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D71D2A1D-93B1-479C-A4C7-C957FC546638.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	76584   Click image for larger version

Name:	689EC576-C38C-48C9-82FA-BE47296CCF3D.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	76585   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0E7B564-CED8-4C47-A832-331E81823D64.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	76586   Click image for larger version

Name:	19FC1472-AE2D-4016-A766-2F7B8D719806.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	76587  
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #54
Guru

St. Helens to Gov't Island

Gave ASD a quick water rinse to get rid of all the pollen on everything. Help the Admiral too. left about 8:30. This was a good run. Heavy current, making about 6kts at 1500RPM. Once we got above the Willamette River the current died down a bit. Beautiful day clear skies and 82f. I was worried about the railroad bridge. Water was at 30ft. No need to swing the bride we had 3 feet to spare. I-5 bridge no worries.

As we were passing by the airport the Sheriff was conducting training on cold /river rescues, with the USCG hovering overhead.

We arrived at Gov't Island around 12:30 and was greeted by Pairadice and a cold beer.

We also have a fellow TFer here at the docks: Mur Sea

Life is good.

First pic is Warrior Rock and Light. Normally this is sitting high on a rock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	76593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	76594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	76595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1181.jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	76596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1182.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	76597  

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	76598  
Old 05-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #55

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
John & Tom,
I hope you have a great adventure. Watch out for the nets that are strung out into the river.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #56

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
John and Tom, I hope to meet you while you're staying at Clover Island. I'll even buy a round....Klondike bars can make you thirsty! Safe travels.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #57

City: Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Enjoying this. Neat to see my regular haunts from a visitor‘s perspective. Have fun!
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #58
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post
Enjoying this. Neat to see my regular haunts from a visitor‘s perspective. Have fun!
I was reading yesterday how most people have never seen all the tourist attractions in their home area. My thought at the time was that even when they've seen them, they haven't appreciated them like a visitor would. Maybe one should just go find some kids and bring them in and see it through their eyes. We recently hired someone who was from the delta of Mississippi and had never left that area until she got on a bus and came from there to Fort Lauderdale. She just went with us for six weeks from Fort Lauderdale to Boston. Probably the best part of the cruise was seeing things through her eyes and watching her excitement. It gives one a new appreciation.

Hope their perspective has given you a fresh view and renewed appreciation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #59
Guru

Gov't Island to Beacon Rock

Beautiful sunset. We said goodbye to the crew of the Mur Sea.

I love my auto pilot!!!! It was current all the way up the river. Both John and I was pushing only 5kts, sometimes 2 kts!

Passing under the power lines at Camas reminded us of the current in Canada. The 27 mile trip worked the AP a lot. The gorge is beautiful. It is different now because of the big forest fires last year.

Approaching the dock at Beacon Rock State Park the current pushed us up against the dock. The wind was clocking at about 20 mph. We will stay here for a few days. The ladies are going to climb the trail up to the top of the rock.

Then off to the first locks to get our cherry tossed aside!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	76623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	76624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	76625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	76626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	76627  

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	76628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	76629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	76630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	76631  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #60
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Anyone get the impression ASD likes his new autopilot? Each post has an "I love my autopilot" inserted.

Glad you're enjoying the use of it and you're using it now in an area where it benefits you only moderately. Just wait until you use it on the open sea. Imagine some of the long Alaskan runs.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote