Pacific Trawler 40 rudder seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
This forum lead me on to which seal I need and thank you!

Now I need to replace it. The rudder arm needs to come off and more. This is no problem and it looks very starlight forward.

But looking at a short distance 18". The seal looks even with the top of the fiberglass post. So before I dive into it, I thought I would ask. How does the seal come out? Or will I see how by removing the rudder arm and ring that holds the rudder post.

Hi Iggy,

Look up this topic on the Pacific Trawler Builder's Forum:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s33/pacific-trawler-rudder-seal-38343.html

Can you provide some more details on the build date of your Pacific Trawler? They were built over many years, by multiple builders, and rudder installation details may differ. Some pictures of your installation may be helpful as well.

If your Pacific Trawler is one of the later (around year 2000 or so) vintages, manufactured here in the PNW by Pacific Trawlers, you likely have a two-piece rudder shaft with three rudder bearings, and one seal. If so, you will have to haul the boat to change the rudder seal, as the seal is at, or below, the static waterline. It cannot be removed without dropping the rudder and shaft, which in turn cannot be done with the boat in the water.

Regards,

Pete

Its a 2001. Going to my boat today and it is in the hard. I was told by a mechanic that you don't need to drop the shaft. That to can get to it from the upper plate where the rudder arm is. In other words, pull it up to the top of the shaft. But I really don't know but soon to find out.

If I have to drop the rudder, so be it. Just more work but it will be done.

Thanks for responding!

I am at the boat. At the rudder arm there is a 4" bushing that seats in a 3" hole. If I take to arm off, I should be able to look straight down to the seal. Maybe pull the seal up and out.

Not sure, but in any case. How do you pull it out even if you drop the rudder?

I had to remove the rudder post as every one mentioned to remove the seal. I am about half way though doing the job and about 5 man hrs. Not ever doing this before it is a learning curve. The rudder arm was the hard to remove, I almost bought a gear puller to remove it. But I kept tapping it and noticed it was coming off.

My next question!! The cup that the rudder seats in. There is a cutlass bearing in the cup and I want to replace it. Is there a brass bearing in there too?? I did not notice one but a friend said to double check sometimes the brass can look like the cup.

Back
Top Bottom