OpenCPN vs. PolarView/PolarNavy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenBuchanan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Make
1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
Hi all,
I currently use PolarView/PolarNavy as my chartplotter on a laptop using NOAA raster charts (same for Canadian). A couple of years ago, Polar View/Polar Navy stopped supporting the product, although I have never had a problem with it.
My concern is if a problem arises of converting over to OpenCPN. I know a lot of people utilize this as their chartplotter.
What is the ease of use?
How well does it flow from one chart to the next and/or the embedded charts for harbors, etc.?
I have utilized Polar View for the last 8 years with no problem and cruised Lake Superior in 2021 with no problems.
We are planning a 4 month cruise next year 2024, from Lake Michigan up through the North Channel of Lake Huron, into Georgian Bay and then the Trent Severn Waterway to the Thousand Islands and don't want experience problems along the way with a chartplotter.
I guess I'm looking for user experience with OpenCPN.
Thanks in advance
Len Buchanan

I really liked OpenCPN...

I never did use it for more than a chartplotter.... some connect radar, AIS, etc..... I never felt the need.

It is only as good as your computer so make sure the computer setup is as sophisticated as you feel you need chartplotting (backup power, plenty of memory and processing power, protection from the elements, etc)

I use OpenCPN. I have it integrated with a Simrad Halo20+ radar, a Raymarine Evolution Autopilot system with EV-1 core and ACU-200 actuator, my Standard Horizon GPS+AIS VHF-DSC radios, my EmTrak A100 Class A AIS, a NMEA2000/J1939 engine monitor gateway for my genset, and a bunch of other NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 devices.

I like it very much. Everything works smoothly and well for me and has for the last ~5 years across many hardware upgrades.

My lower helm, which I rarely use, has a PC with a 15" touch screen and OpenCPN as well as a small Autopilot head and data display.

My upper helm has a 15" kiosk-type waterproof touch display for a behind-the-scenes OpenCPN PC and a new Simrad NSS 12 Evo3, as well as well as a wind display and autopilot head.

I've got the OpenCPN system right next to the latest Simrad. The Simrads display seems crisper in the sun that the one I put in and the touch is more precise. But, I still prefer OpenCPN and, with both of them on and running, find myself using it.

I don't really use the POI or auto routing features of the Simrad, Open CPN fully supports all the features of the radar, and I just like using it better.

Mostly, I have OpenCPN up for navigation and the fish finder up to look pretty on the simrad.

I have two different depth transducers so I have each one set to use a different one, so if either looses it's mind, as the brand new Airmar ST810 has twice (Replaced twice in its first month under warranty) the other one is there for me to see and notice that something is up.

After 5 years my old kiosk-type display owes me nothing, so I've ordered some different units with better specs and this time optical bonding. Well see how they do.

I'm actually hoping to find a factory in China that can produce really crisp, bright displays at a good price to sell on eBay. I'm not really looking to make money -- I just think it'd be great for a lot of OpenCPN and other PC users on boats.

But the requirements for a truly excellent solution are proving tough for the price point I want....multi-touch PCAP (so it works wet), 1500+ nit, optical bonded, brightness adjustable from the front at least 20% - 100%, IP66+ from the front, US FCC, etc, etc, etc.

Last time I tried this exercise I got a bunch of good solutions, but nothing I really felt moved the need for the price point. Well see what comes up this time.

But, my biggest downer with OpenCPN hasn't been Open CPN. It's just been that there seem to be a ton of good to fine, but not truly excellent, solutions for the outdoor touch panel.

The big name companies have great screens.

But, I like OpenCPN enough that I've been poking at getting past that because I really like the software.

They aren't the best pictures on earth, but my helm is shown attached.

Attachments

• 20230603_192935.jpg
    20230603_192935.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230603_192941.jpg
    20230603_192941.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I've used OpenCPN for years and now use it exclusively as my chart plotter and planning tool. As with any powerful complex software there is a learning curve. There is an active group on CruisersForum to help you get up to speed if you need it. I think this link will work https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/

I find that a pointing device, mouse, trackball etc helps with accuracy. But that's just a personal preference.

I used PolarNavy for years until it quit. I also have iNavX. I now use OpenCpn.

OpenCpn is different, but works once you get used to it. It stitches raster charts seemlessly, like you are used to with PolarNavy. The newer Canadian raster charts are not locked like they used to be, so they play well with OpenCpn, and will seemlessly stitch, zoom, and pan with NOAA charts. iNavX would not stitch raster charts (maybe that has changed, haven't looked in years) which disqualified it for me.

Back
Top Bottom