Old 06-29-2022, 09:35 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Ocean Alexander Quality

Iíve had a 53 Selene and am now looking into a Ocean Alexander. Is the OA a value boat or a really good build?
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My OA Mk 1 is a 1981 build, and was the model that in some respects launched the brand in western markets. Ed Monk Jnr designed it and a number of subsequent models. At the time the Mk 1 was aimed at the upper end of the market, but well priced. It was a solid build. Those of us with these old boats may say things like the electricals are an achilles heel. But then you also need to consider the impact of "DIY owner improvements" over many years, and it is likely the root cause of most complaints.

OA moved to larger boats, and only recently re-entered the owner-operator segment again. The fact that they are still going strong after more than 40 years says something.

I don't have detailed knowledge of their larger and more recent designs and builds, but my guess is that they'd be ranked upper midrange in terms of quality.

But bear in mind brands can vary over time. Some models are better than others. Brand and model specific forums and fecebook group could be very informative where they are not restricted to owners only, and you are able to join them.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbraga View Post
Iíve had a 53 Selene and am now looking into a Ocean Alexander. Is the OA a value boat or a really good build?
Which OA?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:15 AM   #4

Which OA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
which oa?

2010 54í
Old 06-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Yes. It is one or the other, depending on point of view and which boat and when and where built. In general, the quality of build is good, but it's also a value boat in that may use less expensive materials inside, but that's often due to the original buyer. As with any boat, the survey is important.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #6

Vessel Model: 1991 66' Cheoy Lee LRC
I have been incredibly impressed with every OA I have been on. Great quality, heavy build, just beautiful......
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
2010 54’
If this is the trawler style OA with the forward raked windshield, not too many were built. The price matched a similar sized Nordhavn or Selene but seemed to lack attention to “blue water” design detail.

I’ve been on a few. If you care to, PM me with exact model and I may have some insights.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #8

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Ocean Alexander was the first "Taiwanese Trawler" company to really emphasize quality, it is what first set them apart. Based on my experience and examination they're generally well designed and constructed with good hardware. I know a post above called them a 'midrange' boat, that's the first time I ever saw midrange and OA in the same sentence.

Nordhaven and Selene focus more on blue water use than OA does. That isn't a reflection of quality it is a reflection of design priority. Things that make a comfortable cruiser generally aren't ideal for open ocean use (big cockpits and large windows for example). Conversely the things that make a boat good for crossing an ocean often make them less ideal for coastal use. OA has done well in identifying what their market needs and delivering a quality product that fits those needs.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #9

OA 54 Classico

Itís a single C-9 CAT with 2,200 hrs. Iím super interested in the keel design as well as other stability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
If this is the trawler style OA with the forward raked windshield, not too many were built. The price matched a similar sized Nordhavn or Selene but seemed to lack attention to ďblue waterĒ design detail.

Iíve been on a few. If you care to, PM me with exact model and I may have some insights.