No GPS Garmin 4212

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
1982 42 Grand Banks MY, Garmin 4212 on flying bridge. Took the boat out for a spring cruise yesterday and no GPS on my 4212. Everything else looked fine, depth was displaying, chart was properly displayed.

When I went to settings and GPS, it showed that satellite grid with the circles where you would normally see the satellites it was tracking and it was completely blank.

Unfortunately one of my weaker skills is the electronics, it is has some sort of bus, we have radar, depth, it drives our Autopilot and such.

Not sure where to start. Any ideas?

1982 42 Grand Banks MY, Garmin 4212 on flying bridge. Took the boat out for a spring cruise yesterday and no GPS on my 4212. Everything else looked fine, depth was displaying, chart was properly displayed.

When I went to settings and GPS, it showed that satellite grid with the circles where you would normally see the satellites it was tracking and it was completely blank.

Unfortunately one of my weaker skills is the electronics, it is has some sort of bus, we have radar, depth, it drives our Autopilot and such.

Not sure where to start. Any ideas?

I would start by checking the small fuse supplying either the GPS antenna (nmea 0183 or the network that the gps is on (nmea2000).

Check if the gps is getting a signal by going to home> system > gps

Go to home > config> communications> nmea2000> devise list to see if its talking to your gps19x antenna
If you have an older gps 17x it's amea0183 so you would do the above except go to nmea 183 instead of nmea2000

Where might I find this fuse? on my flying bridge, the wires leave the unit and immediately dive below the flying bridge console, is there a fuse in one of the lines?

Thanks so much Shawn, I am going down to the boat today and do exactly what you are talking about. I really appreciate it.

...The GPS sensor is also done via the GPS SD chip same as the 4212.
I assume you are referring to the internal GPS sensor, I will try that out today, I have never updated the software, owned the boat for 4 years, so might need update.

If it's a gps19x nmea2000 antenna, the fuse is more than likely under the dash where the nmea2000 buss is. The buss is a series of tees and the fuse that powers the buss will probably be bright yellow and will be connected to one of the tees.
You probably have a nmea0183 gps17 antenna, to match the vintage of your 4210/12 plotter. Trace the power cord down from the back of the plotter and at the end of it is where the gps nmea output connects to the plotter nmea input. The fuse will be there. Most of the time, it'll just be a matter of wiggling the fuse to reseat the connection. Garmin fuses have had that issue in the past.

It's always good to have the latest software but if it was working when you shut it down last season, it should work this season, regardless of the software version.

Just to clarify, the 4212 uses an external GPS sensor that looks like a mushroom with Garmin’s name on it mounted on a short mast or even flush mounted somewhere on the outside of the boat. If it is a GPS-19 it is NMEA 2000 or GPS-17 it is NMEA 0183. Once you know which one it is, you will know what cabling to look for.

Tom

Tried all the suggestions above, removed every plug on the unit and reattached. Did the software update, crawled around under the flying bridge, nothing really looks amiss. Found two fuses, disconnected and checked, reseated and reconnected. Restarted unit multiple times along the way, no joy.

Created a YouTube video on what I see on each configuration screen. I think I figured out it is NEMA 2000. Also sending a picture of the GPS antenna, not sure it is the one for the Garmin 4212 as I think I traced the wire to the lower helm and another smaller GPS down there.

https://youtu.be/FxbIpEBNvWQ

Attachments

• IMG_3496.jpg
    IMG_3496.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
The gps antenna pictured is not nmea2000. If you traced it and it has multiple wires at the end of the cable, it's probably a gp17n antenna & should have a fuse. If it's a coax cable with a bnc connector at the end and connected to your smaller gps, it's a ga29 antenna. It sounds complicated but it's really not. It's just hard to troubleshoot without seeing it firsthand

I watched your youtube video. Your gxm51 weather is working and talking to the plotter but your gps antenna isnt. I still think you'rve missed a fuse or a wire came loose. It's (the plotter) not even recognizing that you have a gps antenna connected.

I watched your youtube video. Your gxm51 weather is working and talking to the plotter but your gps antenna isnt. I still think you'rve missed a fuse or a wire came loose. It's (the plotter) not even recognizing that you have a gps antenna connected.

Looking at the 4212 Installation Manual, I don't think I have found the bus as it is described in the diagram below from the manual. I need to go back to the boat and find out where these network connections are.

Attachments

• 4212 diagram.JPG
    4212 diagram.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 18
Yes, no GPS sensor on the NMEA 2000 bus. That bus has its own 12V power connection somewhere. it could have lost power. First find the sensor.

Yes, no GPS sensor on the NMEA 2000 bus. That bus has its own 12V power connection somewhere. it could have lost power. First find the sensor.

Thanks so much for your help, found the sensor, the nema bus and the problem. broken wire on sensor. Pictures below to complete the topic.

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3505.jpg
    IMG_3505.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 13
This weekend I have had the same issue with no GPS signal on my Raymarine system. After some research on the internet, found out the antenna (like the one you show) has a battery in it (CR2032). I have not taken mine apart yet, maybe next week. I will attach a link that explains why it has a battery and how to change it. You would need to research and see if other makes have this feature. I would think yes.

https://helpfulcaptain.com/raymarin...ently-showing-gps-no-fix-position-lost-alarm/

Problem resolved

Repairs made to a few wires, back online.

Attachments

• 2220EA57-DC0C-4C82-A90A-EA0191603C98.jpg
    2220EA57-DC0C-4C82-A90A-EA0191603C98.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 11
No GPS on Garmin 4210

Hello
I don’t know how similar they are, but I had the same problem on my GPSMAP 3210. Turned out to be a bad GPS antenna. When I replaced it, everything worked fine.
I purchased at GPS City, which is a Canadian site. You may be able to find elsewhere, but Garmin may not have the antenna. They can help you with the product code for purchase though.
Good luck

Garmin 4212

IF you were able to see things other than the GPS signal then it probably isn't a fuse or circuit breaker. You have power. to the unit.

Like most computers, I'd turn it off, let it sit for a min and turn it back on. IF no change then look here (http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_4000-5000_Series_OM_EN.pdf) to the manual.

I hate to say it but it is an older model and you might want to look here (https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-00592-01&tab=software) to see if there is an update to the unit. It's an older unit so if there isn't an update you might want to consider an updated model.

My 8616xsv connected to the autopilot actually drives the boat for us. Vision cards allow that to work.

Want to know more, drop me an email.

Good luck.

Problem fixed back at post#17. Broken wire at solder joint.

Back
Top Bottom