Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #41
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I lived on a sailboat in Ft Lauderdale for years without A/C or refrigeration back in the day.

I was younger, poorer and dumber back then....so not as many choices as now. I did sleep away a couple nights a weeks and when deployed....maybe that helped.

My main trick was a cool shower before bed, then leave the damp towel across me to cool me as I fell asleep. Later if it was hot I just tossed it off or was there if I needed something to keep the morning chill off.

Worked for me.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"but then I wouldn't live in NYC without it either."

In NYC the sea water temp even in Sept is modest, living comfortably is no big deal.
I wasn't just referring to on the water. However, whether on the water or in midtown Manhattan, the days with no air movement are stifling and the water temperature will make it less uncomfortable perhaps but will not make it comfortable. The water temperature in NYC in August averages 74.1 degrees. Some years even as much as 76.7 degrees.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #43
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
There is one minor luxury that the vast majority of us will NOT live without and that's AC in the summer in Florida. I wouldn't be here without it under ANY condition, and I want mine working ALL YEAR. Even in the winter, we occasionally have a heat wave with high humidity and I just don't like to sleep hot.

Now, one can get a fairly low cost AC unit for a boat and power it with shore power or a Honda Generator. I used the Honda years ago when the boat didn't have a genny. But the small cabin and the AC running made it quite comfy.

I had a buddy that tried living on his sailboat without air and he gave up. I helped him install a window unit on the top hatch that worked very well, but did require a hook up (he didn't have a genny).

And NO amount of wind will make it tolerable. Now, add some misquotes and bugs and you have to mess with a screen that blocks the wind.... NO WAY.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #44
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTF View Post
I have reasons for wanting a power boat, hence why I was trying to ascertain what trawler layout / sleeping arrangement would have the best ventilation.

I thought this was an interesting solution:

Without regard to stateroom ventilation for a minute, you might look at designs where saloon furniture is loose, i.e., not built in... so you could then have the option of installing a sleep-sofa of whatever configuration floats your boat.

Not all saloons are well ventilated, of course, so just being able to sleep there (instead of in a stateroom) doesn't necessarily solve the whole temperature problem. Doors and windows probably will help, but then at the risk of bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Understand you'll also be dealing with the humidity and moisture and often may find the sheets wet before you get into them.
Yes. Even here on the Chesapeake, we have to run the ACs a lot, especially in July and August, to keep stuff dry in the cabins... just as much as we did when we were in south Florida with our previous boat.

And to take a bit of the load off the fridges/freezers.

For OP, given your intentions, I'd guess your electrical budget and electrical system (alternators, genset, batteries, chargers, solar and/or wind augmentation, etc.) could well have as much or more influence (than AC) on how often you have to run a genset.

-Chris
Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Also, study the science regarding sleeping and temperatures. The evidence is clear that we sleep better in cooler temperatures. There is a huge difference between sleep and good sleep.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Everybody has different priorities & tolerances. Personally, that just strikes me as contrary to my (& many others) reasons for wanting to live on a boat (particularly on the hook) in the first place. Besides the cost and the noise, seems antithetical to seal myself off in a cold cocoon from the tropical environment I'm there to enjoy.
What's your hurricane plan for staying on the hook?

Don't really care what your plan is, this is to make a point. You can live on the hook >80% of the time as you desire. There will be things (such as hurricanes) that will or at least should make you alter your plans. The easiest way to defeat yourself is to be totally inflexible...... mother nature screws with people like that strictly for entertainment value.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #47

City: MIAMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Without regard to stateroom ventilation for a minute, you might look at designs where saloon furniture is loose, i.e., not built in... so you could then have the option of installing a sleep-sofa of whatever configuration floats your boat.
Yeah, I was thinking some type of Europa style Sedan setup with the shaded overhang that allows lots of saloon windows to be left open (even during rain as long as it isn't sideways), plus a big sliding door in the back (with a screen). Ideally it would just be 1 big room, with a single head in the bow and particularly small v-berth I could use as storage instead. And ideally the galley would flank the engine room, so I'd have full width to lay a real bed elsewhere (without obstructing the access door).

I haven't seen any such layout though, so that's kinda why I was asking.
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
What's your hurricane plan for staying on the hook?
Buy I boat that doesn't cost more than I can swallow to lose if it sinks. Then either hurricane hole, marina, or haul out.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #49
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking some type of Europa style Sedan setup with the shaded overhang that allows lots of saloon windows to be left open (even during rain as long as it isn't sideways), plus a big sliding door in the back (with a screen). Ideally it would just be 1 big room, with a single head in the bow and particularly small v-berth I could use as storage instead. And ideally the galley would flank the engine room, so I'd have full width to lay a real bed elsewhere (without obstructing the access door).

I haven't seen any such layout though, so that's kinda why I was asking.
Agree totally. SHADE and OVERHANG. A "traditional" Grand Banks type of deal, with master aft, roof in sun, no A/C, is death down below in the tropics.
Have you considered a power cat? Lots of topside salon sq feet. Low draft, your anchored, so dock hassle is gone. Stable on the hook.
My experience is the less the draft, the more likely you are to get into a better primitive anchorage. It gives you more options to be leeward/windward as desired.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #50

City: Houston
AC or no AC?

I get it...your a 'purist'. And perhaps a 'minimalist' when it comes to amenities on a boat. That's certainly ok, just know that if you ask for opinions, you will get plenty and the (vast) majority here are giving you their experience and wisdom to have AC available. The advice is free, but it's worth a lot.

But some people can deal with heat better than most. Personally, I have too much...natural insulation. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and we didn't have AC for years, Just a huge attic fan that pulled air in through all our open windows with screens. That was actually pretty effective...brought outside air in through all the rooms. And might work on a boat if you set a fan on a hatch when it isn't raining. (as soon as AC became practical, my dad installed it)

So not trying to persuade you about AC...but one other thing: If you've been running the engine(s) in a trawler during the day, the residual heat down below has to go somewhere. Even the best insulated ER's transfer heat upward.

200 years ago, in the French Quarter in NOLA, the homes all had a buggy / double door entrance into a courtyard. The Gulf breeze blew across the top of the open courtyard, which created lower pressure and pulled air in through the front door, and up through the opening, which also pulled air through all the windows. Neat. But still pretty warm.

And not that it matters, but you may have visitors on your boat - at least in the beginning - who don't have the same heat tolerance as you.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Also, study the science regarding sleeping and temperatures. The evidence is clear that we sleep better in cooler temperatures. There is a huge difference between sleep and good sleep.
Me & you clearly just have different thermostats (which is perfectly OK). For you, even NYC is too hot without AC. Wisconsin & NYC have very similar summer temps. I grew up in WI without AC & it was never a problem. I actually slept with thick quilts & a heated mattress pad year round. Summer in NYC on a boat, I'd be more worried about having enough blankets, than an AC.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #52

City: Houston
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...948&id=2290156

Scroll through here - there are wind scoops for every situation.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
I get it...your a 'purist'. And perhaps a 'minimalist' when it comes to amenities on a boat.
I don't have any sort of hippie sailor dogma I'm trying to adhere to. Just know that I already don't NEED a/c on land, so figure there's some salty dogs living on the water without.

But the contrary opinions are useful, if I'd need to constantly run AC (and generator) in FL, then I might as well spend the diesel fuel migrating north seasonally instead.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #54
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
I have reasons for wanting a power boat, hence why I was trying to ascertain what trawler layout / sleeping arrangement would have the best ventilation.

I thought this was an interesting solution:
If you like that one, you'll probably love the Krogen Silhouette. The whole aft is a dedicated suite with its own shaded back portch and transom tailgate.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #55
Guru

Krogen Silhouette.

1988 Kadey Krogen Silhouette 42 SeaDeck Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
A "traditional" Grand Banks type of deal, with master aft, roof in sun, no A/C, is death down below in the tropics.
Have you considered a power cat?
Yeah, the full beam aft cabin trawlers with a screened/hard topped sundeck above, would be an ideal setup space wise. I could even sleep up there in the summer. Problem is most those full beam cabins have nothing more than a couple tiny vents. In FL without ac, I'd probably end up sleeping 10 months on the sundeck and 2 in the actual stateroom.

That's why I was thinking possibly a DC with big windows + a top hatch (and/or rear access door), in conjunction with some sort of bimini above (over the mid-deck). Biggest weakness to that layout is the rear cabin being lower than the saloon would partially impede traditional bow to aft airflow.

Alternatively, a sedan layout (with one big room) would theoretically provide more robust flow from bow directly back thru a large aft sliding door. Just depends if I could find a vessel customizeable enough to plop a bed in the saloon.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #57

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
You just might not need that A/C! Thinking of some of the characters I know that live in the swamps I've come to believe that anyone can become acclimated to sleeping in 75-80 degree temps at night. Through out the Caribbean Islands most locals have no A/C and rely on sea breezes and fans to cool their homes. Just what you get use to having or not. I'm use to A/C, I sleep in it, work in it and relax in it. Hope it works out for you!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Have you considered a power cat?
Before I knew anything, I caught a crush on PDQ 34's. Once I started researching deeper, I couldn't justify the cost vs what you can get older mono's for. Even so, I'd be really jealous of the shallow draft and fuel economy (at those cruising speeds / dual screw handling advantages).
Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
You just might not need that A/C! Thinking of some of the characters I know that live in the swamps I've come to believe that anyone can become acclimated to sleeping in 75-80 degree temps at night. Through out the Caribbean Islands most locals have no A/C and rely on sea breezes and fans to cool their homes. Just what you get use to having or not. I'm use to A/C, I sleep in it, work in it and relax in it. Hope it works out for you!
Exactly, it's like a lot of modern "necessities", the more you use it, you more you need it (and vice versa). Even when I run my AC, I just set it to 80 (but I'm skinny and possibly anemic).

Weird thing I've noticed about most southerners is they bundle up in jackets/gloves/earmuffs if they visit a moderate climate, yet damn near every home & business in the deep south blasts AC at about 60 friggin degrees all summer. I gotta keep a sweatshirt in my car at all times, just in case I want to grab a bite a restaurant without shivering.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Before I knew anything, I caught a crush on PDQ 34's. Once I started researching deeper, I couldn't justify the cost vs what you can get older mono's for. Even so, I'd be really jealous of the shallow draft and fuel economy (at those cruising speeds / dual screw handling advantages).
When I didn't know anything, I adored the PDQ 34. When I still didn't know anything, I learned to adore the PDQ 41 too. The more I learn the more my adoration grows for both of those boats.