A new type of "Coastal Cruiser"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Duckworth’s site it looks like they’ve built some trawlers of about 21.3m, so there’s one at least. But I doubt you’d get near the same level of finish and fitout with an American built boat for the same price.

“The development of a proper preprimer was another big step forward in metal boat building. The coating is a weldable primer, which means its zinc-rich chemical formulation resists the intense heat from welding. Only a small amount of preprimer is burned off as steel is welded together-most of the steel remains primed and protected.
So successful is the use of weldable primer on precut steel that power washing is now the prescribed post-welding treatment to remove grit and oils.”

A solution to a humid climate I would think. The above is from Passagemaker magazine. It’s a quote from Theresa Flowers who’s family built my boat. I didn’t know there was such a thing as weldable primer. Pretty cool. Seems like this should be mandatory for building steel boats/ships. Maybe it’s to cost prohibitive. Does anyone know how much more (percentage wise) this is?

Mac, Most shipbuilders use “pre blasted and primed” plate and shapes in construction of steel boats. The plate is loaded on a conveyor dried with heat & air, (this also pre heats the plate in colder climates) then shot blasted on both sides at the same time to white metal. It exits the blast machine and enters an automated paint booth where both sides are coated with the weldable primer. Then through a bit of flash off and then cure oven. The plate cools a bit and is off loaded. Big shipbuilders do this process on site. Smaller builders have it done by steel suppliers. Here in Portland, OR. Oregon Steel Mill has a plate blast & paint line that will process your plate steel in this manner.

A new project. Another advantage of the heavy ocean crosser is the amount/weight of the toys you can add to your boat. This type of “dinghy” will add exponentially in the versatility of my explorations from the mother ship.

Attachments

• E0D0C0B9-CB81-48DF-B54D-46E416DB2BA7.jpg
    E0D0C0B9-CB81-48DF-B54D-46E416DB2BA7.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 3F5B04C4-172A-47B2-853D-EA8F456025B5.jpg
    3F5B04C4-172A-47B2-853D-EA8F456025B5.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 19
A new project. Another advantage of the heavy ocean crosser is the amount/weight of the toys you can add to your boat. This type of “dinghy” will add exponentially in the versatility of my explorations from the mother ship.

Our 1975 version! We tow her all over and then explore all over while "mother ship" sits at anchor.

GPS 25 knot gentle cruise with us two aboard... sipping gas. GPS 39.6 knots WOT with just me aboard at slack tide... guzzling gas! LOL :speed boat: :thumb:

Attachments

• Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 12
Our 1975 version! We tow her all over and then explore all over while "mother ship" sits at anchor.

I plan on towing for shorter hops. What size/type/length of tow rope rope do you use?
Also, how much does your dingy weigh? Thanks.

I plan on towing for shorter hops. What size/type/length of tow rope rope do you use?
Also, how much does your dingy weigh? Thanks.

- Broadside to fuel dock = Side tow against fenders on outer side
- Slowly pulling bow first into our covered slip = 5' length, center justified rear tow line. I have substantial sized fender-rubber permanently fastened on bow-point of runabout [dingy]... so that when it bumps into transom as we stop no damage at all.
- Towing at a bit below hull speed [6.5 to 7 knots] = center justified 15' tow line.
- Towing at full plane [16 to 17 knots] = 30' center justified tow line.

Every small boat tows a bit [maybe even a lot] differently, uniquely. Its hull shape, weight, where its tow hook is located on bow [how high or how low it is] possibly trim tabs and motor placement/positions can dominate its towing stance... at various speeds and different distances off transom. As well, at speeds, the tow boat's wake profile has much to do with length of tow line.

What it comes down to is experiment until the towed boat acts the most effectively/efficiently at the speeds you travel. I recommend o/b in up position.

Guestimate our dink weighs 600 + lbs.... inc. motor and 12 gallons gas. Tow line is 5/8"

Good Luck Towing!! :speed boat:

Last edited:
Art: Thanks so much! Great advice. You just saved me a lot of trial and error. Mine weighs 1500 lbs, so I'll probably go with 1 inch floating line with additional buoys to keep out of the prop. I'm working on padding and fenders for lifting in rough conditions-hard to find for the front and stern corners.

Art: Thanks so much! Great advice. You just saved me a lot of trial and error. Mine weighs 1500 lbs, so I'll probably go with 1 inch floating line with additional buoys to keep out of the prop. I'm working on padding and fenders for lifting in rough conditions-hard to find for the front and stern corners.

:thumb:...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom