New to Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgilles962

Looking for general info. My buddy just purchased a gasoline 2000 Maxum 3300SCR 36’ in Kemah,Texas. He’s recruited me to take a trip with him and bring the boat back down the ditch as I see everyone calls it,3-5-21 leaving. Rookie trip for both of us and need a lot of input from all you experienced boaters. We both are experienced small boaters and have owned boats ourselves in years past. Need info on
1. How long the trip could be
2. Fuel consumption and where we can get fuel. ( sure y’all will have follow up ?)
3. Where to dock over night. ( I assume it will take more then one day. Only traveling day time)
4. Locks at the river inlets. Have no clue about that except they could be closed if heavy rain floods them and the debri that could be in the bay’s around these inlets.
5. What to take along with us that we would never think of safety and weather wise.
7. Any other info you can throw our way. Look forward to seeing your responses. Also look forward to many more trips on his new boat over the years. Want to start out on the right foot

Going from Kemah to where? I have made the trip from Kemah to Florida twice.

The Maxim 330 SCR is not a trawler as you will learn the first time you stop at the gas pumps.

Sorry to be negative fellas but you are out of your league. Your very first step should be to join the AGLCA (Americas Great loop Cruisers Assoc). Then you need to buy a copy of "The Loopers Companion Guide". Then you need to read everything you can find about the Loop, Locks, Anchoring, Provisioning,Rues of the road,Sea crossing (Gulf of Mexico),Insurance, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or even that you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying your learning curve will be a straight vertical line.

Good Luck Though,

pete

I’ve done the ICW from Kemah to Rockport and back a few times, but we obviously need to know where you are going before offering advice. Lol.

Fuel consumption would vary wildly depending on your speed. I just brought a houseboat down to the Gulf from the Tennessee River with twin Crusader gas engines, and I traveled at ten MPH most of the time. I planned to take on fuel every 120 miles to ensure we did not run short with our 240 gallon capacity. Longest run was 137 statute miles, and we used 80% of fuel. We absolutely could not push the speed up the the 16-18 MPH cruise capability of the boat or we would have never made the first 120 miles due to fuel exhaustion. Coming east from Kemah, you will find long stretches getting to New Orleans where there are no marinas/fuel docks. It's around 350 statue miles to New Orleans.

I have a gas boat, phone and increase your credit card limit.... lol.

I stopped twice going from Rockport to Kemah, but I go a really slow 6.5 knots. I stopped in Matagorda and stayed at the little Matagorda Harbor Marina the first night. Nothing fancy at all but good enough place to stop, and there was a little restaurant a short walking distance there. But this was pre-COVID so it might not be open. They had fuel there iirc.

Kemah to Matagorda would be about a 100 mile trip I think (double check that)but you should be able to make that in that fast boat? You have 11-12 hours of daylight to work with.

Then it’s about 80 miles to Port A from Matagorda I think.

No problems at the river flood locks. We actually went through them right after a huge flood so we did have to dodge some big logs/trees floating down the rivers, and we had to wait a bit because lots of barges were backed up. You should be fine now tho. No recent huge floods.

Will be a fun trip. Use your radio to talk to the barge operators so they know what you are doing when passing.

Edit:
Looked up the restaurant. Looks like it’s still open, but only Thursday-Monday.

Waterfront Restaurant
(979) 863-2520
https://goo.gl/maps/eSUaBE1QUVufRhRu8

Last edited:
There are several sites that can help you with route planning and information/intel on marina/fuel stops in between, with contact info included. Unfortunately, most of the useful content on waterwayguide.com is now behind a paywall, but there are others. ActiveCaptain Community seems to still be mostly free, at least from a web browser.

Welcome tg,
Don't worry about "being out of your league". If you've got a basic idea regarding engines and electrical gear, money for fuel, and know the colregs, I'm sure you'll get there alive.
I only had a road map and a compass for my first big boat trip and I survived.

Enjoy the trip!

Reasonable but minimal tool kit. Small 3/8 drive set and maybe 1/4drives as they are small, good flashlight and batts for it, DMM, screwdrivers or a multibit driver, combination wrenches, pliers of several types, some 14/12/10 wire, crimpers, small selection of terminals, electr. tape, maybe roll of rescue tape, some sandpaper. Jam it all into a plastic tool box or a good H.D tool bag

Don't go nuts, that can wait untill you are outfitting for normal cruising, . Hope you don't have any trouble but you should be prepared for small repairs/fixes.
If you have a tablet WITH A REAL GPS in it, then take it and charger and download a chart program. THat will show you where you are vs where you think you are.
If both of you have then both take one and be sure you both have the charts loaded even if the boat has one.
You don't need to be fancy, all I am suggesting is so you KNOW you location.

Of course clothing, sunglasses, hat, food at least for one day, some bottle water. I'll leave it here as those closer to the area will know much better.

Have fun and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom