"New" navigation app.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I vaguely remember playing with that one. Looking at that web site now, I see that you need the paid ($20) version to get "offline charts." I know some apps assume you're always connected, and won't work well in a cell service dead spot. Since those are the places I seek out, these types of apps don't interest me.

Assuming that's not the case here, then my only question would be whether the app is worth $20, since it's useless without offline charts. The "social" aspects touted by the web site are of no interest.

Have used it multiple times cruising the Chesapeake. Seems reliable, like that it gives me a ETA and fuel used to get from point A to B. So far so good.

It’s worthless as a free program. There are a lot of paid programs out there. At $20 it’s probably one of the cheaper programs. However, it has all the signs of a suck you in and then raise the subscription price next year model. I see nothing that makes me prefer it over Navionics or Aqua Map. While I was able to get NOAA maps I saw no option to get Canadian maps. The Standard maps are unusable for navigation.

Greetings,
Anyone familiar with this app? Was suggested by a friend. We downloaded it and it seems "questionable". Thanks.

https://argonav.io/

I recently saw one of the great loop boats on Youtube plugging this thing.
For us, one of the reasons we boat is to get away from everyone and leave crap like this on the beach. The last thing I want it to be "connected" to other boaters via a messaging app.
Probably a generational thing but I don't want to share where I am, what I'm eating, what VPN I use or give my opinion on which vegan cafe has the best fair trade coffee with the tastiest soy milk alternative.
Besides .. no one with a lick of sense gives a crap.

Hollywood

I have the free version. It popped up as a new option about 2 years ago.

They are doing what you do as a startup. Get something up that is basic and then layer in new features one at a time.

I chatted with the guy at the 2022 Newport show. He has a series of additional capabilities he's adding. A rollout plan. I don't recall just what it all entails.

Better than others today? No reason to say that from what I see. But something to keep an eye on to see where it goes.

This app was a viral TikTok sensation when the developer’s daughter posted a video of her dad being ignored at a boat show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/business/tiktok-argo-navigation-boating-app.amp.html

It seems to have a lot of basic features still under development, but one useful thing it can do is read NOAA ENC files natively. Having an app for this is essential now that NOAA is no longer updating the raster charts since it can take months or more for updates to get pushed out to Navionics and other electronic chart providers.

One app that I have been liking for this is Nautical Charts & Maps: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nautical-charts-maps/id1420774597

It’s a pretty basic one time purchase that gives you what you need and nothing else.

Greetings all,
Thanks for the input. The reason I used the word "questionable" in my first post was we put in a very simple route and the app ran us on a really dumb course.

Going from Bahai Mar, Fort Lauderdale to Islamorada, FL it routed us down to Haulover inlet then out to sea. It completely bypassed Port Everglades inlet which is a big ship channel to Haulover which, if you've seen any of the videos is suicidal at times.

As to party time at the outdoor urinal (sand bar)? Not for us.

Just a comment on charts.

This app was a viral TikTok sensation when the developer’s daughter posted a video of her dad being ignored at a boat show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/business/tiktok-argo-navigation-boating-app.amp.html

It seems to have a lot of basic features still under development, but one useful thing it can do is read NOAA ENC files natively. Having an app for this is essential now that NOAA is no longer updating the raster charts since it can take months or more for updates to get pushed out to Navionics and other electronic chart providers.

One app that I have been liking for this is Nautical Charts & Maps: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nautical-charts-maps/id1420774597

It’s a pretty basic one time purchase that gives you what you need and nothing else.

Sometimes Navionics wins - take a look at Burlington, VT on both - Navionics has the new marina and NOAA doesn't after more than a year.

Navionics clone?
Good on them for their efforts.

As I said in another NAV thread, where do they all get the data from, the same source of course, do they update promptly from that source will set them apart for those with local knowledge.

I have a 2014 vehicle with a built in Nav, it did not have a new hwy I often use so I sent off $200 US for the updated data in 2016, only to have my money returned when it did not show the HWY built in 2012. I asked sales rep can they look at latest version and tell me when it shows up, nope.

Whereas Google maps showed the hwy sections as they opened and completely when finished. Much more impressive to use that app.
As pointed out above, a new marina should be in an app update, as well as navigational channel depths which can be in constant change.
Navionics is changing, dropping info it had, has it returned the currents in Deception pass?

NAV product

Argo is trying to make it mark in this app areacbut look at Savvy Navvy.

I think it does a comparable job to the Navionics app (not in the Garmin chartplotters).

I use it to preview our travels. The 8616xsv with autopilot is what drives the boat.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom