Never forget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
This was taken in late June 2001 from the flybridge of our 1978 Mainship 1 "Attitude Adjustment" as we were heading south thru NY harbor.

Thought it might be a good thing to post today

Attachments

• leaving+Manhattan2lg.jpg
    leaving+Manhattan2lg.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 42
Like.

Yes, so many of us were affected significantly. Was a horrible day.

A day of infamy. Sister lived a few blocks away. Stayed working in her hospital NYU not going home for a week. Parents lived even closer. Couldn’t raise either of them for days. Sister died early from Ca. Always wonder about relationship.
Now teach my grandkids about it. They weren’t even alive then. Like talking to my kids about Nam. They don’t get why my voice gets tight as I think about the close friends I’ve lost. It’s just history to them.

This was taken in late June 2001 from the flybridge of our 1978 Mainship 1 "Attitude Adjustment" as we were heading south thru NY harbor.

Thought it might be a good thing to post today

What a perfect photo, Jay. Thank you for an unforgettable image.

Alas, it appears half the country has...

Horrible day. It seems worse this year with the higher profile anniversary. i wish I could forget.

Im glad we spent 20 years over there. Im grateful to all those who sacrificed making them pay. I don't see some much hoopla about the couple thousand who sacrificed their lives over the last 20 years. (Hats off to them, they have my gratitude)

Attachments

• A7DDE46E-DDE5-41DB-B581-28700916A50E.jpg
    A7DDE46E-DDE5-41DB-B581-28700916A50E.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 22
I was there that day. Had to take the Canadian train across the country from Toronto to Vancouver, then rented a car to get back to the west coast.

I was sitting at the table, on the boat, in this marina in FL ..... I glanced up, saw the first plane hit the tower and wondered if I had changed the channel to a movie..... watched and listened, watch the second plane hit the tower. Then the pentagon and then the 4th plane crash the field.
The order for all planes at the nearest airport NOW. Suddenly, the skies got real quiet for days. It was amazing of how much background noise disappeared. It was so very very quiet. Until that order was lifted, the only plane I saw and heard was a fighter going south, flying the beaches one time, after burner glowing. I was afraid something happened in the Keys. Thankfully not.
WWII, the atomic bombs, Korean War, Vietnam the destruction of the towers and the wars that followed, should be taught in the lower grades maybe 7, 8, 9, 10th grades before life gets too complicated for the students. We were taught this, when I was in Jr High School.
Sadly, they would rather teach subjects that seem to divide the country.
Little is mentioned or remember about the mobilization of the ferries and private boats the evacuated people from the island.

I'm done.

Last edited:
We were cruising in far north Queensland and out the reef way beyond any communications.

It was over 3 months later that we knew anything about it when we were invited onto a big boat who had a time magazine laying around.

I miss the days of no comms and no news being blissfully unaware as to the horrors of the world.
Saying that, if we were out there now we would still have no comms and no news.

time20010914-1.jpg

Last edited:
Our Prime Minister, and the press, have ensured 9/11 is well remembered in Australia. A lot of "where were you when" discussion, and just remembering. By pure coincidence, we flew into NYC on the day of the 10th anniversary, the parades were already done but, it was weird, no traffic, streets closed, difficulty getting to the hotel, fire houses with displays open for inspection, the memorial grounds,an eerie feeling, not easily forgotten.

I wonder how the sailors on patrol, on submarines, handled the news. Incoming messages were alway very very short to reduce the chances of detection.

This is my favorite picture of the Twin Towers because I spent a lot of time, and had a lot of fun on the ship in the picture.

Attachments

• Oboat.jpg
    Oboat.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 18
We were unloading a longline trip in barnegat light nj and the vhf started going nuts,then within 15 or 20 minutes we could see all the smoke from the dock

Many have more important memories of the day than I have. Many have family and friends lost or impacted badly.

I was living and working in MD. But in an earlier life I took the train to NYC for business regularly, and the PATH from NJ into the terminal in the WTC often, for meetings in the WTC. One memory is realizing I could have been there.

On that morning I was rushing to prep some stuff for a Board meeting. One of my staff said she heard on the radio a plane hit the WTC. I stopped and asked what else she knew. Nothing. I figured it was some traffic plane or copter that went astray. Within minutes she tracked me down to fill in more details. I remember not understanding how to process what she told me.

Some Directors filtered in and we all stood in a side room that had a TV with poor reception, grainy picture. Few made comments. Everyone stared and occasionally grunted. It was just shock. And then we just held a perfunctory meeting taking care of no more than the critical brief business.

Once a year we took Directors out on the Bay to go rockfishing. That was the day. We all looked at each and asked, want to go, or not? Half bailed out. The rest of us went without enthusiasm.

The thing about the Chesapeake is its within the circle of DC, and you are never far from Dover AFB or Andrews or other important spots. You have BWI, Dulles, and Reagan, and Philly airports putting up commercial flights. Seeing military aircraft is common, and often low. That day on the Bay it was the most eery thing. Dead flat calm, like glass. Nothing in the air. Not a boat anywhere. Big expanse of mirror water, totally alone. Eery. Weird. We trolled a few lines in the water, drank a beer, and had the charter captain turn around and head home.

I had a brother in law working in NYC at the time with a window office facing the WTC. My wife was leaving messages I didn't get until later that he couldn't be reached. The family was in panic. He basically walked out of NYC and contacted family when he could. He was standing and looking out the window when both planes hit. He later said what was burned in his memory was the sight of men in nasty dusty expensive suits walking out in a complete daze, more than the memory of watching the planes.

As a nation we keep saying "never forget" and "we will always remember." I no longer think we really do. Its become just another day of ritual. A day for politicians to walk through motions and give a few speeches that get a few headlines. I remember what we were, and see what we have become. That day was a pivot point.

I wish they would roll all lives lost/sacrifices made in the war on terror together....I can see using 9/11 as the date but not limit it to just the towers/Pentagon/plane souls lost.

Hopefully the USA is learning how to better function as a superpower than we have for the last 75 years or so. Understanding this day should be about the "never forget" motto.....but going forward to make things better, not just one day of infamy in history.

Last edited:
I watched it live from Bayridge anchorage..about 3 miles away... Surreal and unbelievable.. Watching it live but not really grasping what we were watching... We knew the world changed that day....Just didn't realize how much

I wish they would roll all lives lost/sacrifices made in the war on terror together....I can see using 9/11 as the date but not limit it to just the towers/Pentagon/plane souls lost.

Hopefully the USA is learning how to better function as a superpower than we have for the last 75 years or so. Understanding this day should be about the "never forget" motto.....but going forward to make things better, not just one day of infamy in history.

Surely you jest.

I agree with your hope.

But am watching things go the wrong way, for a long time, through various administrations, spanning both parties. Things are bad, not better. To say more dips into politics in a way none of us want to engage in. We took a hard bad turn twenty years ago, and are accelerating, with nary a tap on the brakes.

One little told story of heroes of the day are the captains and crews of the harbor tugs who transported thousands across the river from ground zero or nearby to New Jersey.

One little told story of heroes of the day are the captains and crews of the harbor tugs who transported thousands across the river from ground zero or nearby to New Jersey.

and the ferries that transport 1000s off the island and no doubt some small private boats too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom