NESTE branded plant-based diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkeye

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Happy Clown
Vessel Make
Heritage 45 Europa
Concerned about some recent fuel system leaks, I'm seeking info on this stuff. NESTE is a Finish company, with US headquarters in Houston. I understand that they are retailing their diesel only in California, in my case at Pittsburg Marina in the delta (I put in 250 gals 5 weeks ago.) I know that SF's Red and White ferry company has at least one vessel using the product, presumably as a test. I also see on NESTE's website that Oakland, Ca has gone to plant-based diesel for their municipal fleet. Plant-based diesel is distinguished from "bio-diesel" in that the source is compostable waste, not cooking oil. Does anyone have any related info on this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a Wikepedia article on Neste's process: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neste_Renewable_Diesel

According to Wikepedia the feedstock is plant based oils, not just raw plant stuff. These oils are not recycled cooking oil, but oil derived from plants such as palm oil. The process catalytically hydrogenates the oil to remove oxygen resulting in a product chemically identical to petroleum based diesel. This is unlike the process used to turn waste cooking oils into biodiesel via transesterification.

I understand that transesterified cooking oils has a stronger solvent action, but according to Neste's website, this new product is a different product and is chemically identical to petro diesel so it is unlikely to be the source of your leaks.

David

Last edited:
You're wondering if the use of the biodiesel is responsible for your recent fuel leaks? Where are the leaks?

The leaks are at the base of two of the six fuel tanks. They appeared simultaneously after filling with the Neste product. One leak is through the threads of a nipple that connects the tank to a ball valve (upstream from the valve.) This leak probably passes through at least 1/4" of threads, with some pipe dope showing. It is a very slow leak, maybe a drop an hour. The second leak is through the bead of a weld in a 15 year old 5052 aluminum tank. This leak funs similar to the other. Both tanks hold 110 gals.

David's post (thanks) that Wikipedia says that this fuel is chemically the same as petro-diesel. This suggests that Neste's fuel does not have solvent affects any different than the good old #2 diesel.

Could the new stuff be less viscous, more able to pass through pin hole leaks that stopped the good old #2 for many years? Any input on this question would be much appreciated.

The leaks are at the base of two of the six fuel tanks. They appeared simultaneously after filling with the Neste product. One leak is through the threads of a nipple that connects the tank to a ball valve (upstream from the valve.) This leak probably passes through at least 1/4" of threads, with some pipe dope showing. It is a very slow leak, maybe a drop an hour. The second leak is through the bead of a weld in a 15 year old 5052 aluminum tank. This leak funs similar to the other. Both tanks hold 110 gals.

David's post (thanks) that Wikipedia says that this fuel is chemically the same as petro-diesel. This suggests that Neste's fuel does not have solvent affects any different than the good old #2 diesel.

Could the new stuff be less viscous, more able to pass through pin hole leaks that stopped the good old #2 for many years? Any input on this question would be much appreciated.

A couple of odd thoughts:
Maybe ditch, sell etc the Neste fuel. Then completely empty and ventilate the tanks so you can clean and re-weld the one leak, remove and use proper sealant on the valves (1/4" thread exposed??) including those that aren't leaking and if possible open and clean both tanks. Then don't use any more bio diesel.

Bio diesel is a wonderful solvent, too good as some have found. You may be one of those. On an older boat, bio diesel isn't always compatible with fuel systems due to its "cleaning" effect. A few years ago Chevron did a study and recommended that industrial users of those switching from regular diesel to bio diesel to shorten their oil change intervals until sampling indicates the right change intervals. I've no idea if this is still their position.

Point being, bio diesel works. But if switching to bio diesel, be alert as to any changes and deal accordingly. BTW, I'd never use any bio diesel in my 16 year old boat. No upside for me.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have always used NESTE diesel my boat, because of their "bio" fuel does not contain a FAME (Fatty acid methyl ester). Fame bio diesel causes bacterial growth and filter blockages if even a little water among them.

This is what most engines, whether old or new, use NESTE diesel, have the latest quality to meet the CO2 problem, reducing emissions by up to 90%, this diesel name is NESTE My.

Neste diesel hand book...

https://www.neste.com/sites/default/files/attachments/neste_renewable_diesel_handbook.pdf

Last edited:
Hi,

I have always used NESTE diesel my boat, because of their "bio" fuel does not contain a FAME (Fatty acid methyl ester). Fame bio diesel causes bacterial growth and filter blockages if even a little water among them.

This is what most engines, whether old or new, use NESTE diesel, have the latest quality to meet the CO2 problem, reducing emissions by up to 90%, this diesel name is NESTE My.

Neste diesel hand book...

https://www.neste.com/sites/default/files/attachments/neste_renewable_diesel_handbook.pdf

With many countries over harvesting their palm forests for Neste (bio diesel or whatever marketing branding is used) some feel that carbon neutral designations for these fuels is inappropriate. Don't get me wrong, Neste/ bio diesel seems quite usable by itself or more so in blends with ground pumped oil. But the "environmental" advantages are not without furious debate.

Back
Top Bottom