Old 06-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Need recommendation for ER camera

I would like to install a camera in my engine room. My MFD is a Raymarine E140W which will accommodate 1 or more cameras. The Raymarine cameras, in my opinion, are exceedingly expensive compared to other cameras which I see advertised and mentioned on the TF. The camera I will be needing will be mounted on the bulkhead of the engine room approx 24"-30" in front of the engine. I would appreciate any suggestions on which make and model of camera would allow me to accomplish this. Thanks for you for your responses.
-David
petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have one wired to my Raymarine a128. The newer Raymarines only have 1 hardwired camera input, the rest have to be wireless. I have one I bought about 15 years ago that I have been using. I think it was just some camera that hooked up to a Motorola connector and then I got an adapter to BNC connector. I wish my MFD would take more wired cameras since the Raymarine wireless cameras are really expensive. I don’t have any idea what wireless cameras will work with the wireless.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
I have a wired RayMarine CAM220 Eyeball IP Camera connected to my RayMarine e127 MFD. The camera is mounted aft, for backing up, in my case...but I don't see why it wouldn't work in the engine room (providing there's a bit of light). I had initially rejected RayMarine cameras as on option because of cost, but then they came out with this CAM 220 model, which wasn't nearly so expensive as the others.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My engine room is pretty boring. Not much to see, even while underway. With the exception of smoke or steam any engine room problems could not be detected with a camera. If there is smoke or steam present a camera would show very little, the lens would show a steam or smoke cloud.

No camera for me, thanks

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have one wired to my Raymarine a128. The newer Raymarines only have 1 hardwired camera input, the rest have to be wireless. .
I have 5 Raymarine 220s on my 128. The owner's manual says that you can hook up to 10 IP cameras to a 128 but can only view 4 (quad view) or 1 at a time. They work extremely well! The book also says turn on the MFD first then power up the IPs. This is so that the MFD can assign IP addresses to the cameras. (I was ignoring the sequence of powering the MFD first but soon found out that Raymarine was right!) And yes, the 220 can be used in the ER. I must admit to being pro Raymaine and yes, their cameras are expensive but there seems to be no limitt as to what they can do which includes making a video by simply touching the appropriate section of the MFD screen. BTW, All 5 of my IPs are on 1- 12volt breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Quad view on smart TV.jpg   eS128 iPad view.jpg   eS128 Cockpit view.jpg  
Old 06-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
With the exception of smoke or steam any engine room problems could not be detected with a camera.
I disagree...with fresh diapers under the engines, a fuel leak on the engine will show up on the diapers. (Red) Also a broken fan belt will be obvious. I understand that fuel flow instruments will also show a fuel leak is at hand and the volt meter will also show an alternator problem but an ER fire will show up like gang busters! No, ER cameras are an adjunct to the SOLAS effort on most any vessel that has an ER.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdoc4u View Post
I would like to install a camera in my engine room. My MFD is a Raymarine E140W which will accommodate 1 or more cameras.
Although I use Raymarine equipment exclusively, there are many alternatives.

https://www.google.com/search?q=IP+E...w=1671&bih=860
Old 07-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I have 5 Raymarine 220s on my 128. The owner's manual says that you can hook up to 10 IP cameras to a 128 but can only view 4 (quad view) or 1 at a time. .
I should have included a line or two about what you need to put 5 cameras on a eS128. If you are putting 1 to 5 IP cameras on your boat you need Raymarine's HS5 Network Switch. All the cameras (CAM220s) are wired and if you want one of those to be an analogue camera (much less expensive) only one can be used on the eS128 and it always resides in the top left corner of the quad view. my analogue camera is in my ER.

My mention of hooking up 10 IP cameras to an eS128 was an error on my part. If you want 10, you need either another eS128 MFD or an eS127 for the 5 additional cameras. Sorry about that!
Attached Thumbnails
Quad view on an iPad in the salon.jpg   Quad view on a smart TV in the salon.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Cheap but effective.

I look at some of the expensive stuff and what I really need. I just need to see off my stern, and make sure there's no steam, fire or water spraying in the engine room. Over the last 15 years I have put these type of cameras and they have worked well. Cheap cheerful but effective. $80 apiece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00951.jpg  
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote