Need help FAST to tighten clutch on Maxwell Nilsson windlass Circa 1991

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gusinc

Need help FAST to tighten clutch on Maxwell Nilsson windlass Circa 1991

I'm at anchor and unable retrieve anchor because clutch is slipping. It is a 1991 Maxwell Nilsson windlass (see pic). I have tightened the center flat screw as much as possible. Still slipping but not constantly. Will pull up hanging chain but seems to start slipping when it a try arts to lift anchor which has been successfully broken free of bottom. Need your input as soon as possible.

Gusinc

City: Bellingham

Success!! Thank you. I didn't have a wrench so I put a screw driver in one of the capstan holes and tapped it clockwise with a hammer. Anchor comes up with no problem again!! Not slipping anymore. Relieved and on the move again.

Have a great summer on the water.

Last edited:
Success!! Thank you. I didn't have a wrench so I put a screw driver in one of the capstan holes and tapped it clockwise with a hammer. Anchor comes up with no problem again!! Not slipping anymore. Relieved and on the move again.

Have a great summer on the water.

Welcome aboard. Glad someone was able to help.

If the pins fit a better way to remove or tighten might be,

tps://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/deck-plate-key-adjustable-c-p-zinc-steel-pin-8-5--26457.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIWLoMSA8gIVDIrICh0JdQpMEAQYCSABEgJSs_D_BwE

Back
Top Bottom