Name Change vs Renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliet 15

Vessel Name
Knot Hours
Vessel Make
Hatteras 58 LRC
Coming up on my first USCG documentation Renewal, and have some questions.

1. I want to change the boat's name. I've looked at the USCG Form 1258, and it doesn't use the wording "name change". The closest thing it has is "exchange" of certificate.
- Is that what they call a name change?
- Does that restart my 5-year renewal clock?
- Do I pay for the 5-yr renewal AND the $84 exchange of certificate (which comes with a 1 year documentation)?

2. Is it better to renew, then go back and change the name?

3. Should I just go to the escrow company I used to buy it (who handled the original documentation) and have them do it?

Thx for any insight....

Right off USCG Form 1298 instructions.....

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/NVDC/CG-1258.pdf?ver=MPJjdit5LaS5B0_IFJv_1A==

A. VESSEL NAME: Insert name by which you wish the vessel to be known. If applying to change the vessel's name, insert the old vessel name in
parenthesis. Only standard Alpha and Numeric Characters in the vessel name will appear on the Certificate of Documentation. Click icon for
attachment if application covers multiple vessels.

Questions beyond this..... best to call USCG Vessel Documentation Center.

Coming up on my first USCG documentation Renewal, and have some questions.

1. I want to change the boat's name. I've looked at the USCG Form 1258, and it doesn't use the wording "name change". The closest thing it has is "exchange" of certificate.
- Is that what they call a name change?
- Does that restart my 5-year renewal clock?
- Do I pay for the 5-yr renewal AND the $84 exchange of certificate (which comes with a 1 year documentation)?

2. Is it better to renew, then go back and change the name?

3. Should I just go to the escrow company I used to buy it (who handled the original documentation) and have them do it?

Thx for any insight....

I think I would just go back to your escrow services and have them do it, for whatever time period you want to pay for. I'm not sure, but don't think name change is the same as exchange, but they'll know for sure. I use Mary Conlin of Newport Beach and have them handle to whole document renewal process annually for a minimal fee. I'd rather they deal with the bureaucracy, but that's just me.

Why pay a service company hundred$ to do something you can easily do yourself. Pick up the phone, call the CG documentation office and ask how to handle a name change. They are good people to deal with and very helpful….and NEVER use a service company for simple renewal.

Simple renewals are automated, takes only a few days to get the new cert back in the mail. If you change anything an actual human has to look at it and that can take a while. I don't know how bad it is now but back during COVID the backup was months long.

Not sure this is a simple renewal.... USCG implies using form 1258 as if it is a reissue and you just put in the name you want now.

Other than a long form with repeating a lot of info with just a one line change (where name goes) an a fee for reissue, it's not a big deal.

I would still call them just to make sure that all they need.

Why pay a service company hundred$ to do something you can easily do yourself. Pick up the phone, call the CG documentation office and ask how to handle a name change. They are good people to deal with and very helpful….and NEVER use a service company for simple renewal.

Not hundreds. More like $70 last time I had them do it. If CG office is super easy, then that's the way I would do it. I just got started this way years ago, and they don't make mistakes. As I said, to each his own.

Yeah, I'll call. I didn' think they'd be easy to reach, but what I gather from you all is they are easy to reach and easy to work with.

As always, thanks for the help!

Not hundreds. More like $70 last time I had them do it. If CG office is super easy, then that's the way I would do it. I just got started this way years ago, and they don't make mistakes. As I said, to each his own.

Exactly what service did they provide for $70. Most service companies charge $75 for a simple renewal (you can do it yourself for $26) and generally for initial documentation, they charge at least $300 more, usually $4-500 more. Whatever fees the CG Doc office charges, expect to pay 3-4 times more to a private service.

For yearly renewal I would not pay a service to do it since it is extremely simple to do. However for initial documentation I have done both ways. But if there is a mortgage on the boat then the lender will almost certainly require the service do it to protect their property.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom