mode of transportation while visiting harbors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honda is also building the Trail (as a 125) again too. 25 lbs more, but a bit more usable and...ehem...dignified, perhaps.

We traveled up and down the US East Coast and enjoyed great public bus service. Since we are both over 60 our fare was normally $1. Can't beat that and with Google Maps it is very easy to figure out which bus to catch to take you where you want to go.

Rose Loper
KK42 Catharine
Good point. In addition to a lot of walking and biking, we also make use of bus service in many locations. Online apps make it pretty simple, and as Rose points out, usually very cost effective.

The monkey bike is being made in China now for about 1/2 of what Honda charges. Just do a google search for Icebear Monkey Bike.

I use my tender bridle to hoist the scooter, two around the rear rack one on each side and a rope around the steering head with the bow cable looped through it. It easily hoists level up over the tender which weighs 1200lbs, the scooter is only 240lbs. I tie it to rings on the back of the fly bridge seats on one side and to ratcheting straps I loop around the stowed davit. My davit stows athwartship not fore and aft.

Last edited:
That was helpful
:banghead:

HOLLYWOOD

Virtue signaling. There is a lot more of it on the sailing forums, but it sneaks in here too. Some of the sailors resent anyone who uses more technology than an astrolabe and a sunstone! “Slocum circumnavigated with nothing more than an old alarm clock in a leaky wooden boat, who needs any more? I don’t and that makes me a far superior sailor than you.”

I could argue:
1. Walk, things really close, no heavy groceries to carry.
2. Bike, shopping within a few miles, carries a moderate amount of groceries.

3. Either courtesy, rent or Uber, for when the weather is bad of big shopping times, or just to far to walk or bike.

Now, seems like I use the bike most of the time. It's a tandem electric, and good for the GF who does not bike well. On heavy grocery days, I sometimes take two trips, one while the GF finishes shopping and can pile a shxx load of stuff on, including several cases of required beer. Then pick her up for the rest of the stuff. Works. And if this one crashes, will get another. Great choice for us.

And, if a courtesy car is available, hard to beat.

Heavy shopping, bring a folding cart with big wheels
aka, a wagon for your bike.

Last edited:
The monkey bike is being made in China now for about 1/2 of what Honda charges. Just do a google search for Icebear Monkey Bike.

I don’t know whether the Chinese copy is the original 50cc. The updated Honda is 125 cc. Either way, I’d rather have and readily pay for a real Honda than a copy of dubious quality and provenance.

We also have a pair of Craigslist found 20" folding Dahon Mariners. You can usually find 5 speeds for <$100 each. 30 pounds is about my limit because we have to manhandle them on and off the boat. Only one will fit in our dinghy with two of us onboard. They have way too many sharp edges to say I "like" to use them.

I too had a Dahon Mariner. Once a year I would to take it to the local bike shop to have the hub and brake cables looked after
The main chain would rust until, I had it replace with a super-duper non-rusting chain.
I gave it away to the man who does most of the work on my boat, for free. It was difficult for me to lift it and put it on board.
He uses it to get around the bigger marinas

tiltrider wrote;
“Take the San Juan Islands. Except for an Alpaca Farm, everything you might want is with in walking distance of a dingy dock.“

Did you consider Fishermen’s Bay?
Rather long walk I’d say.

I agree with the comments about the Rad e-bikes, especially if you live in the PNW. However, they are heavy. If weight is more important than cost, consider GoCycle. They also fold but are much lighter than Rad (but much more $).

We also have a pair of Craigslist found 20" folding Dahon Mariners. You can usually find 5 speeds for <$100 each.

I have a Dahon Mariner that I got new around 20 years ago. Never transported it in the dinghy but did use it quite a bit around town when prepping boat to head out but cars already sold (pre-Uber days). (Had a slip or kept it locked up ashore when anchored.)

The one thing I couldn't get used to was the "verticality" of the handlebar/fork relationship. I'm not a pro biker, so not sure what you actually call that, but it was the sense that the front wheel was too close in as compared to the steering. It made the front wheel very twitchy feeling. If I were shopping again now I'd see if there are any that don't have that.

Here in France with a mix of Mediterranean and inland canal cruising we used to use 2 bikes standard bikes.
Shanks pony's a non-starter for me, I fell off a roof some years ago doing a repair after a crap workman left tiles loose costing me a shattered right foot and cracked 5 vertebrae.
We recently bought 2 electric folding bikes from China with alu frames, 20" wheels, after disconnecting the batteries these can easily be lifted on the back deck and covered with a plastic cover from any spray. We use saddle bags which carry shopping etc.
The bikes have 7 gears and pedal assisted we can get up to 70 miles(depending on the terrain and how tolerant to pain and piles you are) but not being in the first flush of youth we use them just with the throttle and we're very happy with them.
We have a pure sine wave low frequency inverter onboard for the washing machine/dishwasher and we use it to charge the bikes batteries as we cruise along.
We all use the method that suits our relevant cruising areas and needs but its nice to swap ideas.

We just receive a couple of Blix electric bikes to use on the boat. I recognize these arent’ the best answer for all, but they will work well for us. The Vika+ folds into a manageable size for storage and transport. They are hefty, probably 40+ pounds without the battery, but battery life is great and they are a blast to ride. We purchased a couple of cheap Chinese bikes a few years ago and wound up giving them away. They weren’t all that comfortable, and the batteries gave out quickly.

Di Blasi makes a number of light folding mopeds, bikes and trikes for small aircrafts and boats.

plane.jpg

They also make a folding electric trike for those looking for stability or more caring space.

diblasiscooter_r30.png

Italian made and assembled in the USA.

Had a Di Blasi. Good for getting around without pedaling. Pretty fast. Had to put a flag on it because it is so low to the ground. I did get hit by a car.... the driver was entering the road and did not look in my direction. I could see what was going to happen and bailed just before he ran over my bike. I could have "owned" the guy but, the only damage was a broken turn signal. He back the car off, and we both went out separate way. Total damage, about $5 for the turn signal lens.
I gave it away..... just to heavy to put on or take off the boat alone. Could only put one person on the bike too.
I think so far I have given away 2 bikes and my Di Blasi. I must be a great person to know, forever giving things away. LOL I had an electric scooter stolen too. The real axial was broken so I parked at the end of the dock and one night someone stole it. LOL Bet he was surprised when he determined it was in need of repair. I settled with my insurance company. (innocent look)

Back
Top Bottom