MMSI Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Just purchased a boat and the VHF has an MMSI # programmed in. Trying to update the info to reflect my own data instead of the PO’s. Can’t seem to navigate how to do that. I am a BOATUS member so it should be fairly simple?
This boat also has AIS - does that need to be updated as well?
Thx for any advice/instructions -
Jim

There are apparently some steps. If the current MMSI was issued by BoatUS, previous owner can release it, then you can claim it.

Of if the MMSI was issued by FCC, previous owner can release, then you can apply for it (Ship's Station License, for the boat). That process could also include an application for a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators license (for you).

Or you could bag all that previous owner involvement, apply for new with either BoatUS or FCC. Then ship the radio to the maker (or one of their resellers) to have them reprogram the new MMSI into the equipment.

AIS uses the same MMSI, so if yours is a transceiver it would have to be reprogrammed too if you get a new one.

-Chris

If it has AIS the MMSI is probably from the FCC not Boat/US. Boat/US can’t do AIS. So I am guessing that when they got the license for the AIS they probably got the MMSI too. Our last boat had both and I got the license from the FCC but somehow the records at the FCC got messed up so the new owners are having an impossible time getting the FCC to update the equipment to them. We are going to try a conference call with all of us on the phone and see what can be done about it. Ask the PO where he got the MMSI. If it was the FCC the PO will likely have to get involved in the process.

Most likely the vhf will have to be factory or dealer reset to your new MMSI. You only get to program it once. A few vhf radios get two resets before sending it out. Check your manual. It will definitely state what is needed to change it. I don’t have AIS but I think the same applies.

Last edited:
The AIS is only supposed to be programmed by a licensed technician, or so they told me when I bought one for our last boat. So I had to fill out a spec sheet for the boat and they programmed it for me.

Before you ship the equipment off to the manufacturer, spend some time with the search engine of your choice.

Sometimes the MMSI reset procedure has been leaked and you can perform it yourself without removing anything.

Theoretically, manufacturers in the US aren't supposed to divulge this information. But in other places it's OK, so the procedure gets posted somewhere.

Just purchased a boat and the VHF has an MMSI # programmed in. Trying to update the info to reflect my own data instead of the PO’s. Can’t seem to navigate how to do that. I am a BOATUS member so it should be fairly simple?

Yes, it should be very simple but the gov't has decided we are too stupid to enter a few digits into an electronic device. Only dealers can do this. As a result MMSI and AIS are not used by 90% of pleasure boaters. Great concept, poor implementation.

If it has AIS the MMSI is probably from the FCC not Boat/US. Boat/US can’t do AIS. So I am guessing that when they got the license for the AIS they probably got the MMSI too. Our last boat had both and I got the license from the FCC but somehow the records at the FCC got messed up so the new owners are having an impossible time getting the FCC to update the equipment to them. We are going to try a conference call with all of us on the phone and see what can be done about it. Ask the PO where he got the MMSI. If it was the FCC the PO will likely have to get involved in the process.

I have a Boat US MMSI and the installer had no problem inputting it into my AIS transceiver.

Here is how to update your AIS info (from a previous post):

I finally got around to changing the boat name on the AIS transponder. It took only 30 seconds. I used the application "ProAIS2" and connected the laptop to the USB cable from the AIS transponder (Comnav X2). ProAIS2 install loads the appropriate USB drivers. Clicked connect and it read the info from the device. Changed the boat's name and rewrote info to the transponder. Done.

I have the Vesper XB-8000 AIS Transceiver installed on a boat that I have recently purchased. The MMSI number was issued in the U.K. but now the boat is registered in the Caribbean and the island is insisting on issuing a new local MMSI number. I contacted Vesper/Garmin and they gave me the reset process and authorisation code to enter myself as I’m outside of the US. They were very helpful.
I now need to match the MMSI number for the 3 VHF radios attached to the boat. I doubt it will be as easy.

Back
Top Bottom