Marine Tie-down suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hey all,
Replacing another set of ratcheting tie-downs that rusted again. They are used to secure my dinghy on the flybridge. I’m wondering if anyone has found some SS ones or something else that works for you that don’t rust out and get stuck. Looking for some that are reasonable and don’t cost an arm and a leg. Any experience or suggestions here?
Thanks,
Taras

Got these off Amazon. Keeper (07508) Koastal 8' x 1" Stainless Steel Ratchet Tie Down, (Pack of 2). They were about $25.

These are the guys you want to buy from. They build for everyone else. Pick webbing, width, style of hooks, and length of straps. They build to order and do excellent work. I'm a very happy customer.

https://www.strapworks.com/default.asp

Ted

On my last boat I installed Pad eyes in the deck 2 aft and one fwd to connect to rigging screws and highfield stainless clips etc. Once adjusted we just dropped the rib into the cradle and fastened the clips no problem no rust etc. I will be doing the same on my new boat. (The jobs on the list)

We just use rope.

Our mount is different; the dinghy is on the stern, not our flybridge...

But we use a rope with a trucker's hitch, and that also partly because launching -- with a knife if necessary -- can take me about 10 seconds flat.

-Chris

Three rope tie downs: bow-eye to a deck pad-eye and mid-point across tubes to aft cradle eyes. The on-deck cradle slants the dinghy about 15 degrees so the last tie is from the forward cradle eyes through the lift harness to prevent sliding when being waked by big go-fast boats. Truckers hitch for leverage on all three.

Inexpensive, no corrosion, simple to use and easy to replace.

I use cheap ones and keep them sprayed with Boeshield-no problems.

Tator

We just use rope.

Our mount is different; the dinghy is on the stern, not our flybridge...

But we use a rope with a trucker's hitch, and that also partly because launching -- with a knife if necessary -- can take me about 10 seconds flat.

-Chris

We use a truckers hitches to lash the dinghy to the swim platform. Much easier than ratchet straps. Nothing to bang or rub against gelcoat, nothing to chip if it gets dropped or somehow lets go.

I'm with DCDC and Shrew on lashing with line for the reasons they gave. Plus, I've never had a lashing fail no matter how heavy the weather. I have had a few failures with straps, never at a good time.

I have a stainless steel one I use to secure the dinghy. So far it has worked great for 3 full seasons, going into #4 and still works and looks good. On my old boat I just used cheap ratchets and lubed them regularly with WD40 and replaced them each year.
For those putting pad eyes into a deck, don't forget to rebed (reseal) them periodically. On my boat, the previous owner had forgot about that, and we found (during survey) that the plywood core was wet in spots and had to be replaced. You don't want that!:)

We have 7 of these deck plates scattered around our aft deck. The eyes are threaded for removal, leaving a flush plate when not in use.

Attachments

• BB8F90C0-2505-4FB5-9DC0-81FAFF6AC172.jpeg
    BB8F90C0-2505-4FB5-9DC0-81FAFF6AC172.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 3194A474-BA93-42F2-A5AA-CEF5BDEA13FC.jpeg
    3194A474-BA93-42F2-A5AA-CEF5BDEA13FC.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 13
I use pad-eyes, a bowline on one end and anchor bend on the other.

DCDC,
Would love to see some pics of your Seaton designed boat, especially the bottom aft. I love Seaton boats. A new thread of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom