Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #21

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Great information....I was looking at Grand Banks as well but it seems that do not make a single engine at or around 40'???
They are rare, but there is one listed on Yachtworld currently.

Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #22

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
A single Engine MS 40 on YW? I cant find it...link?

jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
There's more single engine MS 400s than twins out there.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
DougCole,

Question: Where did the "T" come in, as in 40T? Some have that designation and some don't. Is there something different with a "T" model?
I think the T is for trawler. MS made 40 footers in a few different designs.
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...t-803-3237838/
Old 01-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #26
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We have a 390 Mainship and love it. I don't think you can go wrong with Mainship as long as you're not thinking about crossing oceans.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #27

How many of you guys spent the $2000-3000 to bareboat a trawler to just solidify the thought before buying??...
Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
How many of you guys spent the $2000-3000 to bareboat a trawler to just solidify the thought before buying??...
Not a bad idea, but couldn't find one prior to purchasing boats.

What I do, is simply tell the seller I want a trial run that will include xxxxx items, and will pay all expenses. I can get a real good feel for a boat with that. May take a hour or so, or may take a whole day.

Don't need to spend the night, or just cruise out and watch a sunset. I do go through all of the operations, from in the engine room, generator, heat and cool, generator, batteries, head, galley, as well as a complete operational profile.

Never had a seller refuse that, and often bought the boat.

Now, prior to doing so, I've already done a ton of research.

And, today, I'm actually considering a charter on a boat Im interested it. $3000 is way cheaper than buying the wrong boat.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #29

Very true indeed, well I am just up the road in Savannah, maybe I could crew on your MS one day.???...Does anybody ever install a SSB Radio on the Mainship...I ask because I do not see a nav station or a place where one might be installed..
Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
Most any 40' or so will do 4 GPH at 8 knots plus/minus... single or twin doesn't make much difference.
My 44' 38,000 ACMY did that with twin 450HP Cummins it would also cruise at 18 kts when I wanted.
The fuel burned depends primarily on weight and how fast you run it, not the number of engines or their hp
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Very true indeed, well I am just up the road in Savannah, maybe I could crew on your MS one day.???...Does anybody ever install a SSB Radio on the Mainship...I ask because I do not see a nav station or a place where one might be installed..
That may be a question for a more focused group...like the Yahoo mainship group if it still exists. Generally people don't use these boats out of radio range. But I would imagine there are places in the Bahamas and down island where an SSB might be useful. Or just go satphone. Not sure if the satphone is obsoleting the SSB...not in my scope of boating at the moment.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #32

Quote:
We did. Best money we ever spent. Kept us from making a $100K mistake.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
Quote:
Did exactly that last summer and we had a blast. It convinced us to do it. We closed on our own last month!
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #34

Has anybody ever made a multi leg trip to the Caribbean such as St. Thomas etc?
I see the MS 400 has a range of about 375 mile at 7 knots.
Would an extra fuel bladder be necessary?

I am ok with that but being a guy who's plan were sailing in the West Indies fuel wasn't to much of a concern, now that I am focusing on a trawler, passages/fuel are more of a careful part of planning.......
Old 01-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Has anybody ever made a multi leg trip to the Caribbean such as St. Thomas etc?
I see the MS 400 has a range of about 375 mile at 7 knots.
Would an extra fuel bladder be necessary?

I am ok with that but being a guy who's plan were sailing in the West Indies fuel wasn't to much of a concern, now that I am focusing on a trawler, passages/fuel are more of a careful part of planning.......
Jefndeb,

No, you probably wouldn't need a bladder. However, the MS 400 (my single eng one) has a range of over 600 miles if you operate just a tad below hull speed. And, I'm guessing on that as it's hard to get exact figures.

However, when I'm at 6.5kts, I'm getting 2.5 mpg so that would give a range of 750 miles to an empty tank. (300 gal). Now, with inconsistencies, and unknowns. Like, does the tank really hold 300 gal, and will the sea state affect the consumption today, or even is the trip only 600 miles, or could it be more by the time we get there. Also, comparing my hull to someone else hull could be a tad different, but prob not much. 600 would be a push, and beyond my comfort level.
However, several times, I've pushed over 400 miles and put on a bit more than half a tank. Also, I have operated several times, when the gauge indicated 1/8th tank and never an issue. I'm betting that the repeatability of the gauge is pretty good, backed up with time/distance and power setting.

If I were going for extreme range, I would clearly want enough time on the boat to be sure it would perform.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #36
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Jeffndeb,
We too, are converted sailors. We loved sailing, but in reality hardly ever sailed due to (most often) either light winds or having to make slack tide at a rapid.

Cruising on a trawler is a bit different, but the benefits are staying dry, warm, and comfortable (probably not too big an issue for you down south , more room in most areas of the boat, better sight lines when inside, etc.
We have found with our single engine that we burn very close to 2 gph at about 7-7.5 knots.
When we were looking at what brand and model to get (for our use) things we definitely didn't want were:
Teak decks, exterior wood to maintain, twin engines (access for maintenance and cost of maintenance).
We found that we liked Pilothouses, and did not think we would use a flybridge much (if at all). We do often get sunny, hot (for us - 90 degrees) days in the summer.
We also wanted a "proven hull" and boat that minimized windage (for control in tight quarters) and also minimized roll without relying on active stabilizers. Both Tugs (Nordic and American) fit the bill for us.
Good luck in your search,
Tom
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #37

So yes??? Trawler owner have made passages to the USVi & BVi and beyond?

I ask this because I always was told a trawler would limit me in my dreams of distant travels...but the way I see the Caribbean island chain, looks like its do-able...like to Grenada even maybe?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #38
FF
Guru

"I ask this because I always was told a trawler would limit me in my dreams of distant travels"

Range is the Minor reason for difficulty in offshore work. The usual Major consideration is construction scantlings.

How strong the boat is built , if weather ,wind and waves could sink or damage the boat.

Some , usually 300% more costly boats can take waves breaking on deck for a day or two , or being tossed on their beam and not have problems .
Due to the lesser internal room (fuel , water and stores take up room) and higher cost few passagemaking boats are created or sold.

The "Thorn less Path" is the classic for USA to the Carib , as many ports , and fuel stops are available to wait for OK weather.

USA to Euroland , even mid summer is usually better attempted with a sail boat .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #39
JSI

City: Hailing Port: Neoga, IL .. Located? Wherever the Boat Is!
Vessel Name: m/v Optimystique
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
We chose our trawler between a Mainship 400 & our boat, the Mariner 40. Check out the ad for 2007 Mariner 40 in the classifieds for more info on a mariner. We liked the wider covered side decks, the solid teak interior, the view from the lower helm and other specifics better than the Mainship 400 we were considering. But had the deal on the Mariner fallen through, we would have gladly made an offer on the Mainship 400. We just finished the Great Loop with many Mainship 400's as our friends. Good luck!
JSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSI View Post
We chose our trawler between a Mainship 400 & our boat, the Mariner 40. Check out the ad for 2007 Mariner 40 in the classifieds for more info on a mariner. We liked the wider covered side decks, the solid teak interior, the view from the lower helm and other specifics better than the Mainship 400 we were considering. But had the deal on the Mariner fallen through, we would have gladly made an offer on the Mainship 400. We just finished the Great Loop with many Mainship 400's as our friends. Good luck!
Optimystique,
Totally agree. Never knew what a Mariner was until I saw yours. Really a LOT of boat features. I kinda wish I had shopped for one. Very similar to the 400, but certainly did have a few features the 400 didn't have.

I also liked the salon better, too.