Mainship 350/390 Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Souvenir

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
There's a 1997 Mainship 350/390 for sale on boat trader.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1997-mainship-350-390-8112872/

Does anyone have experience with this model boat? Any special issues that I should look for?
I don't see a bow thruster listed on the description, and can't see controls for it on the photos. Would that be standard equipment for this model boat? Even with twin engines, a thruster is a 'must-have' item for me.
Thanks for any advice here.

Lie down on the forward berth before you commit to anything. We found the overhang too confining.

Overall, they are fine boats. I looked at them but ended up with a 400 and later the 430.

The Volvo engines would be a deal killer for me and seems like there's very few on Mainships. I just don't like Volvo. And, I'd wonder if the small 200 hp ones would be a bit anemic. Later Mainship used the 250hp Yanmar... a much better engine.

Also, don't see much in electronics and can't tell what's new. Nothing at the lower helm. Putting on a thruster can be very expensive, but agree, it's worth it.
The overall Mainship is a excellent design with good materials. The assembly at the factory did have some issues, most are easily corrected.

If you're going to do much cruising, looks like a few dollars to spend.

Would your budget allow you to get into a 400?

Thanks for the info.
I finally was able to determine there's no bow thruster on this boat. That's a show-stopper. Not very interested in installing one.
Back to the search.

he Volvo engines would be a deal killer for me and seems like there's very few on Mainships. I just don't like Volvo. And, I'd wonder if the small 200 hp ones would be a bit anemic. Later Mainship used the 250hp Yanmar... a much better engine.

I know of 2 boater friends that had that setup. Plenty of power really.
But I agree, I wouldn't want Volvos.

I thought some years had an issue with the swim platform that required a repair because they were filling with water. Maybe someone with first hand experience can chime in.

I thought some years had an issue with the swim platform that required a repair because they were filling with water. Maybe someone with first hand experience can chime in.
Lots of posts on this. I have no first hand experience. Some were modified under warranty others were left or DIY later. A search in MS section will turn up details.

You can have a traditional bow thruster installed for about $12K. Or go with a Sideshift for about $5.5K and DIY the install. We installed our bow thruster in about 8 hours, very easy.

You can have a traditional bow thruster installed for about $12K. Or go with a Sideshift for about $5.5K and DIY the install. We installed our bow thruster in about 8 hours, very easy.

I have a 97 with with twin Volvo’s and no thruster. No issues once you know learn how to drive. Many years and hundreds of hours with out issues:Yes parts are expensive but they don’t get replaced often and easy to work on. Only week point on engines are turbos. Boat should have swim platform modified or you can do it yourself if handy. Great boat if taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom