Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
......... If you thoroughly outline/list [on paper] what you need/want in a boat makes it much easier to locate said boat. ..........
That's good for your second boat. If you've never had a boat (or trawler in this case), you won't really know what you need or want.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
That's good for your second boat. If you've never had a boat (or trawler in this case), you won't really know what you need or want.
I suggest going to boat shows and aboard older boats for sale and reading on the web till you do learn what you want or need... as well as chatting with boat owners at marinas.

I know it's tough for a novice to realize the intricacies of what to own for first boat... but it tain't rocket science! LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
What @Art said......

This is exactly what we are doing and it has changed our outlook about what we want and don't want immensely

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #44

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
Quote:
Spending $20K to redo the interior of an old boat won't increase the value of the boat that much. You would be better off adding the $20K to your boat budget and buying a more expensive boat that you already would be satisfied with.

More importantly, you won't be spending the next year working on a boat, you will be able to spend it boating. Isn't that why we buy boats in the first place?

LOL, a year for a galley update/refit, that's funny,

Doing it for work on a client/charter boat is usually a few weeks, between seasons. Doing my own to save $$$ on vendors will stretch it out to few months, but yard time and helpers still cost $$ so can't take to long. Gotta at least get galley done so can move aboard and begin systems and cosmetic updates.

I wish I could just add $20K to budget and get what I want, as they say "ain't gonna happen bro". To get what I want brings budget up a lot more than that, but more importantly, adds to much size to the boat. Need to be at least in mid 40' to get the space and higher 12kw power supply I want, but have to stay single handed capable, so max'ing out in the 45-48 range. Plus max 15' air and 4' draft. Tight window.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #45
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Put the $20k upgrades into perspective......on some boats that would be a complete makeover.....on some it's just updating a few appliances, fixtures and maybe counters or a set of furniture...heck a decent new mates can cost half of that for some boats.

A couple weeks worth of work, even at a marina if they are good.

Sorry BarettaRacer, beat me to the punchline....just adding that ones style of boating isn't necessarily near someone elses, how they do it and the reality of what can/can't be done.

And funny that many would do the same amount of work and spend the money on a vacation home, but can't see it on a boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #46
FF
Guru

There is a startling lack of power on a 45fter compared to a mega boat.

How will you power the mega,not camping galley?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
There is a startling lack of power on a 45fter compared to a mega boat.

How will you power the mega,not camping galley?
Modern electrical appliances are extremely more efficient than they were 10-even 5 yrs ago.
Good high end micro is about 1200W
Chefs quality convection ovens are in the 1500W range, and do a meatloaf to prime rib to lasagna in no time.
ANY refer today is mega more efficient, and with built in ice maker I don't need a stand alone unit
Half a dozen companies make an 18" dishwasher, very efficient, and what little power they use you save in water use, at about 3 gal per load. You save even more power by not having the potable and gray pumps cycling running sink water to do dishes.
Everybody makes cooktops, all wattage burners, expanding burners, interconnecting burners for etc etc. Nothing says you have to use all of them at once, but you can pick and choose what works best, anything from about 500W on up. Induction a toss up, individual burners generally use a little more power, but supposedly cook faster.
Apartment size or stack washer/dryer units pull about 6KW, some even less but they take longer.
Jura coffee/expresso station uses same watts a Mr Coffee, but make just slightly better coffee.

25 yrs ago a Princess 3 burner coil stove, Nevercold refer and formica countertops were standard, there's a better more efficient way to do things today. Inverters didn't exit, led lighting and tv's didn't exist, Corian was latest thing out. Today, why would you install 110V and 12V lighting?? You build everything in 24V led lighting, everything, period! One system. Done!
Todays 60" led flatscreens draw less power than an old 12" countertop tube tv.

Hell, Mermaid even makes an A/C unit designed to run overnight on a pair of 8D's. It's designed to do it.

One single 50A/240V cord equals 12KW, amazing that 12KW just happens to be a common generator frame size, think somebody planned that?
Outback inverters in 3500W stack and talk, 240V/110V out no problem. Balmar alternators. This is all "off the shelf" stuff, not rocket science anymore.

80's trawlers are generally solid & affordable, and have years of life left but definitely due for a makeover if it's going to be your home.

If I can't organize it to be comfortable on a trawler I'll just but a condo and a Donzi and be a retired marina warrior, LOL
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #48

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I LOVE my wifi controlled slow cooker, doesn't use any more power than a regular one, but a LOT easier to control when your away doing things, like fixing other peoples boats to help pay for this stuff. <wink>
Old 04-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #49
FF
Guru

So a 12 kW noisemaker will operate 24/7?

A single 1500 w draw is about 140 amps from a 12 v house bank.,it will require a rather large bank.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #50
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaRacer View Post
LOL, a year for a galley update/refit, that's funny,

Doing it for work on a client/charter boat is usually a few weeks, between seasons. Doing my own to save $$$ on vendors will stretch it out to few months, but yard time and helpers still cost $$ so can't take to long. Gotta at least get galley done so can move aboard and begin systems and cosmetic updates.

I wish I could just add $20K to budget and get what I want, as they say "ain't gonna happen bro". To get what I want brings budget up a lot more than that, but more importantly, adds to much size to the boat. Need to be at least in mid 40' to get the space and higher 12kw power supply I want, but have to stay single handed capable, so max'ing out in the 45-48 range. Plus max 15' air and 4' draft. Tight window.
I'm glad I could amuse you.

I see your mind is already made up but I'll warn you that marinas and boat yards are full of people's unfinished dreams, up on blocks or in a slip with two inches of barnacles on the bottom.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #51
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
I'm glad I could amuse you.

I see your mind is already made up but I'll warn you that marinas and boat yards are full of people's unfinished dreams, up on blocks or in a slip with two inches of barnacles on the bottom.
I know a guy who purchased a boat exactly like mine and had the entire boat redone, including new twin diesels and electrical. From what I understand the cost was well above $100K. Guess he simply loves it. He and I swapped/traded a few marine items for things that came off his boat as original [in perfect condition] factory accoutrements. My favorite is the absolute top of the line classic-style electrical panel that is an exact duplicate of our boat's. I keep it aboard in sealed package for immediate replacement use if ever needed while we're out n' about!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #52
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Not liking "in with the new out with the old" talk I think the essence of this thread is more like looking at old boats is seeing the effects of time and use with minimal maintenance. Exterior maintenance is much more demanding and receives far more attention.

Old boats are a lot like old cars. If you could take a new boat and apply 30 years of use and minimal maintenance the OP wouldn't like that either. I've seen old boats and old cars that have been completely rebuilt and are beautiful. Style is an element of time and if one dosn't like that period style it needs to be changed. However most of why people don't like old boats (cars houses ect) is that they have dirt imbedded in the porous materials and it looks old. Seeing such a boat one can almost smell the oldness.

So I think the oldness that the OP is talking about can be best dealt w by rebuilding or replacing the surfaces of the interior. Then they will look like new.

One thing that will make even a fairly new boat look a bit old is lots of dark surfaces. Usually wood stained dark .. and wood turns dark naturally too. It will give off an "old" essence. Some of the pictures in this thread show that significant areas of white or other light colors alleviate most of the "dark hole" problem. Removing old finishes and some sanding will make a boat's interior wood look like new again. Sometimes making a boat look good just involves some significant effort as in hard work.

So a dirty, stained and aged boat w faded surfaces will look old no matter what the style. So relief of the old look is probably best achieved by replacing or rebuilding the old surfaces and/or materials. Or just a very good clean up job.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote