Let’s talk about the keys...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heading south from Captiva? Don’t think there is any navigable ICW from the pass to the Keys. Pretty sure it’s all running outside, at least that’s what I did last time. Captiva to Marco Island. Then to Shark River. Then to the Keys.

When I go again late April I will probably just go straight across from Marco to Marathon hopefully. I think I have enough daylight for that running 6.5-7 knots.

I’m headed for the Bahamas.

Last edited:
Second is the weather. Lake route is MUCH less subject to weather, Keys route can be affected by wind.

With weather suitable for open water cruising I feel the difference between the two routes is 1/2 day. If a person gets to Marathon and faces a significant East wind, then you are sitting. Same east wind is manageable through the lake route - not a big deal.

Cur

Is the east wind bad because it creates an uncomfortable beam sea? What’s your no-go wind/wave level? I can put the steady sails up during a beam sea if enough wind and it’s not bad.

For me, I think I would rather have an east wind than bash into strong south south wind and waves, but maybe I’m not thinking right here.

Is the east wind bad because it creates an uncomfortable beam sea? What’s your no-go wind/wave level? I can put the steady sails up during a beam sea if enough wind and it’s not bad.

For me, I think I would rather have an east wind than bash into strong south south wind and waves, but maybe I’m not thinking right here.

Most of what we have experienced with conditions going the Key Route were after we got to the Key's. With an east wind, as you move south of Marco shoals you have shelter and can move in closer to the coast. The Florida Bay kicks up, you have some beam seas south of Bullard bank, that last 10 miles or so.

My issue with weather is getting from the Keys around to the east coast.

Our issue is the last boat and current boat cannot go inside from Marathon back to Miami, we have to take Hawks Channel. That's where an east wind head on makes for a very short frequency wave head on rough ride. When you turn north after Ocean Reef the water will be rolling.

We start seeing 15knot +, we sit in Marathon.

Going inside in FL bay (ICW starts up again there) is an option that doesn't pop in my mind immediately when typing - haven't been able to take that route in years due to depth. I just don't think about it. But guessing wind would not affect as much, just managing the shallow spots.

If you look at going inside, an east over to a north wind will push water out of Florida Bay, so depths will be on the low side.

The good news, (this is opinion, not science), after March you don't see that much E to N wind. You will Jan through March, but not so much April into the summer.

Hope that clarifies some.

Guess we’re Taking the long way then.

Dumb question, where is the ICW when heading south? I literally can’t figure it out

How much is your draft? At the current lake level of 11'8" the maximum draft for route 1 across (cross lake route) is about 5'7". My guess is you draft less than that.

If that's true, I'd totally go with the canals across the state. It's easy. You don't have to worry about weather, and since it's in glass smooth water most of the time if your boat has the ability to get up on plane, it make fast stress free.

I've only done it once, but it was a piece of cake. There's a marina on the West side of the lake that isn't terrible (not great either) that has a bar and place where you can get a bite (alligator featured uncomfortably frequently on the menu. . . lol).

Watch the no-wake zones. The guys who have houses on the canal get cranky when you forget to pull back on the throttle.

Having said all that, I've never done the route South and around the Keys, so I don't know what I'm advising you to miss. I just looked at the charts and preferred the simplicity of the cross-state path.

YMMV.

Luck!

Dave

We draft less than 4’. I think we’ll just take the long way. I have some maintenance to do this week, then we’ll take the kids to captivate for a night as a shake down cruise then the next trip will hopefully be to marathon.

We are still learning our boat but it seems to do great in a head sea. It plows right threw the waves really well but beam seas royally suck. I’m going to need some help from you guys with the weather conditions once we are ready to go. If it isn’t going to be a fun trip, we’d much rather just belly up to a bar somewhere.

I also need to get my auto pilot working. I think that’s a must for this trip.

I’m excited. I really can’t wait to see that part of Florida and the keys.

Back
Top Bottom