Interior wood I.D. on GB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omoore

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Southern Lady
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 1971 Woodie
I am restoring/refreshing the main salon on my 1971 GB 42 Classic. The wall beneath windows is badly stained in several places. So badly that it can be sanded clean.
Does anyone know what wood veneer plywood GB was using back then?
Thanks

In '71, teak was cheap, especially in Hong Kong. American Marine was building there for several years before moving to Singapore and starting to build in Fibreglass. Check out this article from Passagemaker Mag: http://chanteymantrawleryachts.org/PassageMaker_Fall1998_GBHistory.pdf

Unless the panels you are working on are not original, they will be teak.

Last edited:
Hi, Oliver,
As you may remember, my GB42 was also a woodie of 1972 vintage. I used extremely thin teak veneer as well as thin plywood with teak veneer over the years to replace split or water damaged interior wood which was just teak veneer. The only places solid teak was used in the interior were edge pieces trimming the veneer. The smallish areas under the windows in the main cabin were not worth the effort to me, and I painted them with GB beige. It was fine. The custom "pilot bench" in the photo was built out of plywood in 2004 for my 1971 boat and was covered in thin, thin veneer with solid teak used very sparingly on the top and edges. BTW, you can see the GB beige under the window in this shot.

Attachments

• CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom