Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My feelings per wooden boats is the probability of hull upkeep is greater than fiberglass, IMO. Plus, the skilled craftsmen needed to repair a wooden hull are, sadly, dying off.
That and insuring them is often more problematic.

^^^^^^^^ wasn't me that said that though I will agree with the comment... "Plus, the skilled craftsmen needed to repair a wooden hull are, sadly, dying off" in certain parts of the world.
Other parts of the world they are not.

The traditional timber boat builders moved to where the wood is.
The traditional timber boat owner moves to where the skills are.

"in certain parts of the world" is a correct statement. Basically all the modern, western places, where it's all fiberglass over here. But venture to the more traditional countries and you'll see hundreds of years of wooden boat making still progressing as it has for hundreds of years.

In the Persian Gulf and Asian continent I've been to boatyards where they don't use bandsaws and power tools. Still hacking away with blades, while building huge dhows. In Gujarat, Mangalore and Mumbai, wooden planked boats from wild jack was still going on in strength and with craftsmanship a lot better than their fiberglass work (which was quite horrible honestly). In Vũng Tàu Vietnam my wife could not translate for me the type of hardwood they were using, but the craftsmanship was nice although with some rough edges.

Any of these places would be the go-to if someone wanted to build a new wooden planked "boat" but don't expect yacht quality. Of course the prices reflect that. How about a brand new 40ft fishing trawler, copper rivet fastened, redesigned as a personal craft, with a nice 6B Cummins, launched and humming along for $150k? Interiors can be upgraded later by any guy with handyman skills.

Of course the tough part is leaving the comfort of home and having to travel to some rather uncomfortable places, but it's all out there and beautiful to see.

Last edited:
"Plus, the skilled craftsmen needed to repair a wooden hull are, sadly, dying off."

The sad fact of life is a modern infused hull has more problems being repaired than wood.

If a wood plank does not fit well, its discarded.

A repair on a high tech hull is probably a one shot , its perfect or its time for a new hull.

Old solid GRP is a low tech repair ,EZ, but carbon fiber and epoxy is not.

"Plus, the skilled craftsmen needed to repair a wooden hull are, sadly, dying off."

The sad fact of life is a modern infused hull has more problems being repaired than wood.

If a wood plank does not fit well, its discarded.

A repair on a high tech hull is probably a one shot , its perfect or its time for a new hull.

Old solid GRP is a low tech repair ,EZ, but carbon fiber and epoxy is not.

It's definitely one of those cases where picking a hull type requires giving some thought to how the boat will be used. There are times where the super fancy (and hard to repair) hull likely gives enough benefit that you wouldn't mind the downsides. But for a lot of us, it probably doesn't.

In New England states I worked on, lived on, repaired, added additions to, maintained and built new wooden boats for couple decades in my early years. Loved every minute of it. Worked with some truly great shipwrights.

Wooden boat pieces are similar to an erector set... in that you take the parts and modify for assembly until all the portions correctly fit and are fastened together. They are also relatively easy for repair because any damaged parts can be replaced with like parts.

The thing about wooden boats as they age is that maintenance can become a considerably time consuming set of repetitive projects.

I also worked building, repairing and maintaining fiberglass boats. Not as much fun as working on wood... but... usually considerably less time/effort required.

In my latter 60's I enjoy owning a really well constructed fiberglass Tollycraft. Kept under covered berth and used respectfully its needs for repair/maintenance are minimal. Linda and I have great times aboard our basically care free 34' tri cabin Tolly. Recent Labor Day weekend we spent five days aboard in simple R&R mode for anchoring, swimming and playing. Also have fiberglass Crestliner OB tow behind. That too is basically maintenance free.

Happy Boat-Type Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I don't remember buying anything big from a charity on eBay. Their feedback looks good and eBay has been biased toward the buyer in my experience. I've bought several cars, trucks and RVs on eBay. Like anything, you have to know what you are looking at.

I've posted links to a number of these eBay project boats and they always seem to sell. It's kinda silly 'cause I'm NOT looking for a project boat.

I don't remember buying anything big from a charity on eBay. Their feedback looks good and eBay has been biased toward the buyer in my experience. I've bought several cars, trucks and RVs on eBay. Like anything, you have to know what you are looking at.

I've posted links to a number of these eBay project boats and they always seem to sell. It's kinda silly 'cause I'm NOT looking for a project boat.
Thanks. If I found the right project, I would scrap the idea of building a boat from scratch.

Special Boat Unit 12

Parked right behind me.
Tough little boat! KJ

1429-albums299-picture5465.jpg

That’s actually interesting.
Why do you call it little?
My car is an Avalon and it’s not little.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. The boat is just under 65ft, but it's parked in front of a 92ft sportfisher. But you are absolutely correct, it's not little.

It was quite heavily armed "back in the day". KJ

How about a real trawler.

https://www.oceanmarine.com/detail....73&category_current=5&category_current_sub=17

Strip off the fishing gear and sell that to pay for extending the cabin and interior refit, world cruiser.

3f0d409466d7ae72a2dd61b75c806fe8.jpg

LOL
Lots of old gillnetters like this around. I doubt you would get much for the old gear. With so few openings for net fishing now due to poor returns of salmon, not much of a market. This one looks pretty tired, so the asking price is way high. A decent conversion will cost lots more than the present asking price, so buying a true recreational trawler would be lots cheaper and have none of the hassles of doing a conversion.

Thanks. If I found the right project, I would scrap the idea of building a boat from scratch.

That real trawler could be great if it comes with a license and you want to go fishing.

Best hope may be build one from two. Get a nice boat that needs an engine and a junker with a good engine. Someone posted this in another thread:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/texas-city-trawler-yacht-40ft/6968759619.html

A tired old boat that is behind in all it's care is too much. Unless you want to stay at the dock and work on it, works for a lot of people.

Last edited:
LOL
Lots of old gillnetters like this around. I doubt you would get much for the old gear. With so few openings for net fishing now due to poor returns of salmon, not much of a market. This one looks pretty tired, so the asking price is way high. A decent conversion will cost lots more than the present asking price, so buying a true recreational trawler would be lots cheaper and have none of the hassles of doing a conversion.

An honest assessment and I agree.

That real trawler could be great if it comes with a license and you want to go fishing.

Best hope may be build one from two. Get a nice boat that needs an engine and a junker with a good engine. Someone posted this in another thread:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/texas-city-trawler-yacht-40ft/6968759619.html

A tired old boat that is behind in all it's care is too much. Unless you want to stay at the dock and work on it, works for a lot of people.

I'm not a fisher man.

That old girl has potiental for someone. If it were closer, I'd at least go look at it. I could use that running gear.

I forget... ben... how much you looking to spend?

Originally built by some really good manufacturers [Bertram, Tollycraft, Hatteras, Grand Banks, Defever - and the like]: There are often good condition older pleasure trawler type boats [34' to 45' range] for sale at fair cost. Estate sales, divorce proceedings, boat owners who have decided to quit or maybe need quick cash make it possible to locate some well maintained yet inexpensive good condition boats.

That said: You need to be constantly searching for the "correct" boat that will come along. When you find it - be ready to immediately pounce with cash! The really good boat deals can get gobbled up by a smart buyer within hours of going on the market.

Happy Boat Buying Daze - Art :speed boat:

I forget... ben... how much you looking to spend?

Originally built by some really good manufacturers [Bertram, Tollycraft, Hatteras, Grand Banks, Defever - and the like]: There are often good condition older pleasure trawler type boats [34' to 45' range] for sale at fair cost. Estate sales, divorce proceedings, boat owners who have decided to quit or maybe need quick cash make it possible to locate some well maintained yet inexpensive good condition boats.

That said: You need to be constantly searching for the "correct" boat that will come along. When you find it - be ready to immediately pounce with cash! The really good boat deals can get gobbled up by a smart buyer within hours of going on the market.

Happy Boat Buying Daze - Art :speed boat:

It depends on the boat of course. If I found one of those freshly looped boats still in good condition around the $20 to 30,000 range, I'd pounce. I thought I had a 35' Weber's Cove a couple weeks back but someone beat me to it.

It would have to be close, around the Charleston area, or so cheap I could have it hauled to my location. I still have two years or a little more before I can dedicate 100% of my time to a boat at the coast. Currently, I can only do one weekend a month, at best, if the boat is in Charleston or the surrounding areas.

image.jpg

A boat listing without ANY mention of engine hours?

Why bother buying it all? You'd be just as rewarded by tossing the money straight off the dock.

True. I found it to be an interesting boat and posted. This is the interesting boats thread, isn't it?

Oh darn. You posted it. Now someone is going to buy my winter home out from under me. :rofl:

Looking through 35' to 50' single engine trawlers, I came across this one, now reduced to 200K:
https://coveyisland.com/assets/Brokerage/4cd0d50f70/Orion-brokerage-2018.pdf
https://vimeo.com/85876431

Agreed its interesting but I will be surprised if it sells at anywhere near that price. Its not a interior arrangement that would suit a lot of potential buyers. Covey Island Boats are really well built and probably less maintenance than most all FRP boats. The wood parts scare people. Beautiful boat, thin market. Hope for a buyer that can appreciate this vsl.

Ran across some Sea Piper videos on YouTube. The forward and rear doors would make it super easy to dock.

This one is gyro stabilized

It’s a pretty small looking boat. Is it supposed to be trailerable ?

Ran across some Sea Piper videos on YouTube. The forward and rear doors would make it super easy to dock.

This one is gyro stabilized

It’s a pretty small looking boat. Is it supposed to be trailerable ?

Yes, it is...

Whoa. That’s a cool little ship. Is that the way you have to start that engine every time? No key at the helm? [emoji15]

Who would want a ridiculous foremast like this??
Boat looks old. Must be a reason for that mast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom