Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the bright side is that it is in the PNW where craftsmen who do such maintenance can be readily engaged. Not sure about the wood to aluminum interface, might be genius, might not. As others have said, if the hull is in good shape, the mechanical elements sound, and you absolutely love it, probably not too bad.

Otherwise, beautiful, classic, affordable, but not for me.

Well, the bright side is that it is in the PNW where craftsmen who do such maintenance can be readily engaged. Not sure about the wood to aluminum interface, might be genius, might not. As others have said, if the hull is in good shape, the mechanical elements sound, and you absolutely love it, probably not too bad.

Otherwise, beautiful, classic, affordable, but not for me.

Yes - hope she finds a good home. 6’1” headroom and an ancient 100hp engine might make it harder to find the right buyer.

So this is now in our marina.

Attachments

• F77250D3-E0F2-480B-AF7A-3DD773EF7DB7.jpg
    F77250D3-E0F2-480B-AF7A-3DD773EF7DB7.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 67
Spotted this beauty in Ephraim, WI a few weeks ago. I was tempted to raft up and ask for a tour....

kACR4CQ.jpg

"Interesting" is one word for that anchor setup! "Inelegant" might be another. ;)

Yeah but I have a rule to never criticize anything about a boat that can launch a torpedo. :eek:

I think I’ll buy that sister ship. The first one at $6.5 million was a bit out of my reach, but the $5.5 million one seems doable.

[emoji51][emoji38]

Interesting that they tout it's low fuel consumption. That's not the first thing I think of when I think of a vessel with twin 1600 horse gas turbines. Low fuel consumption compared to what? A burning oil refinery?

The surface of the sun.

I think I’ll buy that sister ship. The first one at $6.5 million was a bit out of my reach, but the $5.5 million one seems doable.

[emoji51][emoji38]

I'm waiting for five more $1.2m price reductions on the big one. Then if I sell my house I might be able to swing it. Hoping it comes with a full tank of diesel.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/custom-a-e-hingle-long-range-steel-trawler-3847531/

Interesting for a few reasons. For one, the owners have solved the endless debates about anchors, they appear to have all styles aboard :socool: Second, one picture seems to be taken with a descending funnel cloud in the background :eek: Another shows it with what appears to be a early model minivan on the boat deck up top. With paravanes for stabilization. Has a hard chine but could probably live with that, with the paravanes.

Seriously, on the surface it’s an interesting and capable vessel. 98k lb displacement with a single large Cat but rated at 125hp. Loop capable. Some quirks like the decor but I like it.

Attachments

• A2F6B33F-A09C-4FC0-A3C3-FEC9EBF6E4BA.jpg
    A2F6B33F-A09C-4FC0-A3C3-FEC9EBF6E4BA.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

[emoji51][emoji38]

You’re overlooking the true deal here. Iron Lady II costs around $300 more per foot than Iceberg.

Last edited:
I don't know who was looking for outboard powered trawlers but Back Cove now has two boats that are outboard powered, their 340 and 390 boats have two or three outboards on the stern... Passagemaker had a review of the 390 this last issue...
https://www.backcoveyachts.com/yachts/back-cove-39o/
I would think two Virado 300hp engines would be enough, but they have 3 on it and wide open can hit 40kts at 110gph fuel burn rate. Imaging sucking the tanks dry in 4 hours???

Also, not a traditional trawler, more of a down-east type boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/custom-a-e-hingle-long-range-steel-trawler-3847531/

Interesting for a few reasons. For one, the owners have solved the endless debates about anchors, they appear to have all styles aboard :socool: Second, one picture seems to be taken with a descending funnel cloud in the background :eek: Another shows it with what appears to be a early model minivan on the boat deck up top. With paravanes for stabilization. Has a hard chine but could probably live with that, with the paravanes.

Seriously, on the surface it’s an interesting and capable vessel. 98k lb displacement with a single large Cat but rated at 125hp. Loop capable. Some quirks like the decor but I like it.

Me like it, especially for the *bling*less decor :thumb:

[emoji51][emoji38]

Fantastic!! Are you going to take us all for long voyage?

Yes. All my internet friends will be invited to ride on my internet boat I could never afford!

Bummer, another pipe dream. :facepalm:

I know. Sorry. ?

I’ve gotten all excited watching this SnapDragon trip back from Hawaii real time. Not that I want to do that. I can’t handle 18 days on the open ocean.

Unless it’s on one of these FPBs I’m not buying!

Me like it, especially for the *bling*less decor :thumb:

Agree. Terrible listing photos though. Would love to see her more clearly.

6kt cruise for a 55' boat... that's reaaaally slow. Wonder what the nmpg is.

True but you get 1100 gal holding tank. That's a lot of crap!

Seems like a great bluewater boat. Perfectly powered. Needs a massive "refresh" of course. But IMO the price is quite high still for a 50 year old dated boat with a commercial-quality interior fitout.

Looking at the pictures, a whole lot of stuff needs to be secured prior to leaving the dock.

The litter box being right under the pantry shelving... what fun, food thrown off the shelves into the cat's waste.

What a gorgeous boat! I'm so glad that you decided to give it a good home.

Extremely thorough 26 minute video now available. I’m still trying to watch it at 1.5x speed :rofl:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom