Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another interesting one in line with recent posts to this thread:

Spearhead-class expeditionary fast transport ship will be christened USNS Cody tomorrow in Mobile, AL. Fast transport of medical patients with both surgery suites and hospital rooms in this one.

Always aid if we ever got "real" money I'd buy an ex commercial wave piercer like this and convert it to a white boat, just not paint it white - or any colour for that matter.
Better on so many levels

quicksilver-VIII-dock.jpg

Or, this
I've always loved Sher Khan
75 ft and twin 8lxb Gardner's.

images

https://au.yachtworld.com/yacht/2003-wavepiercer-75-catamaran-5844975/

Makes a lot of sense, especially in warm and sunny Queensland.
Hope the Blue Seas is working out well, great similarity to the Island Gypsy36 we had for 10yrs.

Yes we are VERY happy with the boat. Still learning all of her systems, but she is setup with relevant equipment and has been maintained well. I have been spending time sitting in the engine room tracing wires and pipes so I understand how everything works.

For our usage she will be a good boat.

One hull

Always aid if we ever got "real" money I'd buy an ex commercial wave piercer like this and convert it to a white boat, just not paint it white - or any colour for that matter.
Better on so many levels

quicksilver-VIII-dock.jpg

Or, this
I've always loved Sher Khan
75 ft and twin 8lxb Gardner's.

images

Like that was for sale during year in your area, (near empty hull) finaly they do arrengement inside and put her back on the market at ...$$$$$ :)

For people with smaller dreams.....

Attachments

• 20230301_140506.jpg
    20230301_140506.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 45

Attachments

• 2795924_b867f153_1.jpg
    2795924_b867f153_1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 38
  • 2795924_14b02990_2.jpg
    2795924_14b02990_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 2795924_ccb836d8_5.jpg
    2795924_ccb836d8_5.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 39
While we are on the multi-hull kick, I find this one intriguing...

https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/details/2795924/2012/custom/78-transocean-powercat/

As cool as I think this power cat is, I suspect they will have a hard time selling it for close to $4M.

A shame about how they did the solar panels.
Stepping out from wheelhouse and looking aft the glare would be blinding
So very simple to have a framework at wheelhouse roof level and cover that in solar
That area under is now shaded and could be utilised

A shame about how they did the solar panels.
Stepping out from wheelhouse and looking aft the glare would be blinding
So very simple to have a framework at wheelhouse roof level and cover that in solar
That area under is now shaded and could be utilised

With anti reflective panels the glare likely isn't that bad. I've got panels right in front of my windshields (see picture below) and have never had a glare issue from them. When the sun is at a low angle in front of us glare off the water is far worse than the slight reflection off the panels.

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_170159210.jpg
    PXL_20221009_170159210.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 40
Stabilsers?
We don't need no steenkin stabilisers

large_3180379.jpg

large_3197937.jpg

large_3197945.jpg

Worth clicking on the link, she truly is a magnificent vessel though I have only seen her from a distance in real life
Reckon you'd need a whole village in your employ to keep her looking good.

https://www.northropandjohnson.com/yachts-for-sale/asean-lady-289-pride-mega-yachts
I'd have a hard time finding a berth in my marina to accommodate the 69' beam. Otherwise it seems OK if a little cramped. :)

I would like to see some more smaller proas though. The configuration solves some problems with the long narrow hull concept.

I have a theory that men don't progress past age 14, but we polish our game.

I rest my case.....20230221_141119.jpg

Feel I hit 15 at 70. Not sure when 15.5 will happen. Eventually 16... maybe. 17 doubtful, can't live that long!

Long heavy

If you like long and heavy multi hull Triton still for sale !

Attachments

• drydock_singapore_2015_0.jpg
    drydock_singapore_2015_0.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 43
  • trimaran.jpg
    trimaran.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 42
Personally

In case of "big" trimaran I prefer this one if...scaled down 1/2 :):angel:

Attachments

• CMN_OCEAN_EAGLE_43_trimaran_patrol_vessel_Mozambique.jpg
    CMN_OCEAN_EAGLE_43_trimaran_patrol_vessel_Mozambique.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 10230.jpg
    10230.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 34
  • mozamb11.jpg
    mozamb11.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 36
  • ob_df9744_ocean-eagle-43-patrouilleur-mozambique.JPG
    ob_df9744_ocean-eagle-43-patrouilleur-mozambique.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 36
Appears that big beam seas would be a [confusing] thrill! I guess 45 degree angle seas... as well as 90 degree big bow seas would be quite interesting too. For a following sea... your guess is as good as mine! LOL

I'd rather not be in 20' and taller seas in that type of hull designl

Appears that big beam seas would be a [confusing] thrill! I guess 45 degree angle seas... as well as 90 degree big bow seas would be quite interesting too. For a following sea... your guess is as good as mine! LOL

I'd rather not be in 20' and taller seas in that type of hull designl

I'm not sure how enjoyable (or not) the motion might be in a beam sea (might be a matter of preference), but I'd expect head seas to be rather comfy. Wet, but comfy. That hull looks like it would happily just cut right through a wave instead of pitching to go over the top. And it's long, which should help the ride as well.

I'd have a hard time finding a berth in my marina to accommodate the 69' beam. Otherwise it seems OK if a little cramped. :)

I would like to see some more smaller proas though. The configuration solves some problems with the long narrow hull concept.

I like that the design is based on a bamboo outrigger canoe! Also that the 600hp thrusters make it "a breeze to berth"!

I'm not sure how enjoyable (or not) the motion might be in a beam sea (might be a matter of preference), but I'd expect head seas to be rather comfy. Wet, but comfy. That hull looks like it would happily just cut right through a wave instead of pitching to go over the top. And it's long, which should help the ride as well.

Due to overall hull design: Me thinks that seas 20' or above [that is pretty big seas] could become a task to handle. Smaller seas... probably not so much!

You wanted a wave piercing bow right? The description says "extreme weather" but then says sea state 5. That is not calm, but not all that nasty either.

I would expect a power cat/tri/proa to have some of the same motion that a sailing catamaran has. Pretty good downwind/waves, not that bad with beam seas (when your monohull is going to be rolly too). The problem is quartering upwind or down. Boat does an abrupt pitch/roll combo as each wave crest passes. Can be sickening.

All boats can corkscrew. Some more than others. Depending upon design if not careful some multis can burp or pitch badly. But agree corkscrewing is the worst. Most monos will if taking seas on the aft corner at just he right frequency and size.

Seems to need mini pontoons at bow to stop submarine dive into nose wave??

I think that bow shape is kinda meant to submarine through the waves. It's the tradeoff of what's more comfortable. Blasting through the wave and putting a ton of water over the boat, or going over the top with the additional pitching, etc. They did seem to be getting thrown up in the air pretty easily, but I'd bet that would improve a lot if they slowed down.

I think that bow shape is kinda meant to submarine through the waves. It's the tradeoff of what's more comfortable. Blasting through the wave and putting a ton of water over the boat, or going over the top with the additional pitching, etc. They did seem to be getting thrown up in the air pretty easily, but I'd bet that would improve a lot if they slowed down.

I would think it not to difficult to engineer some form of bow buoyancy design that would kinda split the difference between submarining and bouncing upward too feely into/onto waves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom