Old 03-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #6801
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
It's amazing how quickly a steel boat goes to crap when it isn't constantly cared for. I've even seen Feadships and other big ticket yachts with little rust drips. I knew a guy who was 1st officer on a mega yacht who told me stories of them attacking the chain locker with a sledge hammer to remove chunks of rust, and this with a full time crew.
Hi,

Based on my findings, the question is how well the steel pre-treated, primed and actual painting is handled in the new build stage. A steel boat of high quality requires only the latest treatment in 15-20 years if you want it to be new.

Exaple https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...iotop-3014559/

Build 2000 and new paint 2015 and like new outsides

Or 1966 build steel motor yatch http://approvedboats.com/co-brokerag...lands-5412656/

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #6802
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SoF. Not scared of "running rust" in the least. Aside from some cabinetry and the flooring, pretty well everything needs refurbishment to make the vessel half way presentable. Aged electronics, most, if not all widows/ports need rebedding and most probably re-gasketing, wiring and plumbing appear questionable...or maybe it's just me.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #6803
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
I do like that rope rub rail. Sure would look nice on my American Tug.

OR

An observation: Barring the rope rub rail, I would really like to ditch that chrome strip on my rub rail. On my American Tug, I would like to replace the current rubber rub rail with a rubber rail about 2 or 3 inches (outward) rail. I think it would add to the salty look.

Question: What is the benefit of (on the railing) to slope the verticals forward or only for visual appearance?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #6804
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post

Question: What is the benefit of (on the railing) to slope the verticals forward or only for visual appearance?
Funny you say that. One of the major visual differences between American Tugs (and new Nordic Tugs) and older Nordic Tugs is the sloped vs. plumb stanchions. Plumb look more stately to me.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #6805
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Funny you say that. One of the major visual differences between American Tugs (and new Nordic Tugs) and older Nordic Tugs is the sloped vs. plumb stanchions. Plumb look more stately to me.
IF the intend is to make the boat look faster, slope them aft. LOL

If it wasn't so expensive I would have my railing reworked for the stanchions were vertical to the deck.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #6806
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. SoF. Not scared of "running rust" in the least. Aside from some cabinetry and the flooring, pretty well everything needs refurbishment to make the vessel half way presentable. Aged electronics, most, if not all widows/ports need rebedding and most probably re-gasketing, wiring and plumbing appear questionable...or maybe it's just me.

I would have that boat shining like a new penny in a week with 2 of my deckhands working with me... I could live with less than yacht quality cabinets and flooring. Just give me solid a solid power plant (doesn't get simpler than a 4-71N) good steel and beefy ground tackle....18 months until retirement...
Old 03-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #6807
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
IF the intend is to make the boat look faster, slope them aft. LOL

If it wasn't so expensive I would have my railing reworked for the stanchions were vertical to the deck.
IMO, vertical along the length of a boat but then sloping forward at the bow to emulate and enhance the stem. Unless you have a plumb bow (stem) then straight.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #6808
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
I was looking at dinghys on Craigslist and ran across this beauty.

1962 Fiberglass Willard

Needs exterior paint, and probably some new wiring, but has new aluminum fuel tanks.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...833125198.html

Such a timeless trawler.

(I do not know the seller, I am simply admiring a classic old boat.)
Attached Thumbnails
01 Willard 62.JPG   02 Willard 62.JPG   03 Willard 62.JPG   04 Willard 62.JPG   05 Willard 62.JPG  

06 Willard 62.JPG   07 Willard 62.JPG   08 Willard 62.JPG  
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #6809
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post

Such a timeless trawler.
That is a big steady sail SMILE
Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #6810
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
I was looking at dinghys on Craigslist and ran across this beauty.

1962 Fiberglass Willard

Needs exterior paint, and probably some new wiring, but has new aluminum fuel tanks.

Such a timeless trawler.

Thats a members boat. Brooksie
Old 03-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #6811
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
That's a perfect boat for me. It would take a while before I'd be ready to take her on though.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #6812
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. M. Re: Post #6789. I think your comment "A lot of work left to do..." is an understatement. I really like the vessel BUT there isn't a whole lot that doesn't need repair/refurbishment/replacement. Looks like she was run hard and put away wet...
OMG - a Wet Boat!

Least one could do is spend hours to shamois it off ...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #6813
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
New dock neighbor, a obvious 26 foot Nordic Tug hull with a different house. Spoke to the owner, (3'd) who indicated it to be the prototype hull. I asked about the house which is quite different. Owner only knew the boat was built in l980 which seems about the time Nordic Tug started. The power is original 4-236 Perkins and the boat had been on the hard for 12 years prior to this ownership.
I inquired of Nordic Tug without a response, as to the orthogonality of the indicated remark on this being the original.
Attachment 86492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Is her name Chloe? If so, she is the keel plug for 26 hulls. If it has a HIN, it should be 26000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
BINGO!!! We have a winner!! Any history? The current owner, a very nice young fellow, would really enjoy, (as I) knowing more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Not much history so far, although I did find this old photo - the caption indicated that the founder of Nordic Tugs. Jerry Husted, is in the photo.
I think it is referred to as Hull #1. May have originally been named Hvaler used for engine testing. Delivered to Ole and Marge Johansen. Reading through the old news letters, I see that they didn't deliver the hull numbers in order. The delivered some of the the newer and higher priced orders before the older orders as a way to buy new tools and tooling to increase the production rate. Spy was ordered on May 14th and delivered (unfinished) on October 10th, 1981.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #6814
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Another Nordy wannabe...

You guys in the PNW have it good. Well this steel hull/aluminum superstructure Real Ship pilothouse turned up on YW today. Except for the lack of flybridge rails and the price, I like it. Definitely would have chosen a darker blue for the hull. Oh, and a 60' covered slip in Anacortes Marina can be added for an additional $275K but I am clueless what they mean "for the Manatee".

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing
Attached Thumbnails
RealShip.jpg  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #6815
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
You guys in the PNW have it good. Well this steel hull/aluminum superstructure Real Ship pilothouse turned up on YW today. Except for the lack of flybridge rails and the price, I like it. Definitely would have chosen a darker blue for the hull. Oh, and a 60' covered slip in Anacortes Marina can be added for an additional $275K but I am clueless what they mean "for the Manatee".

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing
I agree, one can almost hear the boat begging for a darker blue.

A fly bridge in AK, WA or the NE, better wear a huge coat and long underwear and mittens for fall and winter cruising, as you escape south.

LOL The price of the covered slip is more than I paid for my boat.

One nice thing about a bigger boat, you have lots of storage room. The owner can store stuff without thinking, "Is this really necessary."

On my little tiny 34ft boat, it has turned to "no room". Take something off before I put something on.

If I discovered more space, my sweet, beautiful, heart of gold, "house mouse" would put more of HER clothes in it, turn and say, "See, all gone." SMILE
Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #6816
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Panga....my new favorite boat. I just spent a few days on them on the Cortez side of the Baja and they are a remarkable ride in a variety of conditions. Very versatile, make an excellent dive platform.
Yes Bill,
Re post 96,
And it has a lot to do w aspect aspect ratio. Long narrow boats run very nicely indeed. But w a badly spaced headsea can be hard to deal with. But that applies to all boats.

Also in a narrow boat like that I’d rather have the helm on CL especially if the boat was small.

The picture shows a very attractive boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #6817
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
I do like that rope rub rail. Sure would look nice on my American Tug.

OR

An observation: Barring the rope rub rail, I would really like to ditch that chrome strip on my rub rail. On my American Tug, I would like to replace the current rubber rub rail with a rubber rail about 2 or 3 inches (outward) rail. I think it would add to the salty look.

Hi,

I have no more thought about this, but I think the inclined posters are a little stronger on the railings that also have a pipe line up, for example, the railings are subjected to force from the bow of the bow, the sloping pole takes more force before it begins to bend vs 90 .

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #6818
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re the Willard in post 08 ..

May be the best yacht hull ever created.
I wish my 30’ Willard had the form of the 36.
Much of my feelings are based on second hand input but most of it is from the hull lines. She’s a little chubby but I’ll bet the chubbyness pays back in spades in the way she rolls and generally behaves at sea or just underway. I really really like a lot boats but I lust after this one. Could be the perfect trawler .. well almost.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #6819
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Wouldn't want this 42' Wahl, but sure would tip my hat and give a thumbs up as it went by. Would love a couple days aboard a boat such as this with my camera!

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for...itish-columbia
Old 04-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #6820
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Wouldn't want this 42' Wahl, but sure would tip my hat and give a thumbs up as it went by. Would love a couple days aboard a boat such as this with my camera!

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for...itish-columbia
Super Duper Boat!!!!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote