Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I see these boats the more I cant think of any reason not to be satisfied with my AT34.
The maintenance and upkeep of this boat is more than enough for me.

The more I see these boats the more I cant think of any reason not to be satisfied with my AT34.

And from what I hear this boat is quite complex. I'm sure easier once figured out, but definitely not like jumping on a popular brand boat you're use to. This is the type boat that wouldn't be right for the vast majority of us, but for one person somewhere, this will be the perfect boat, a dream come true. As to the price, I imagine it's flexible.

Well said. Even if I had the spare cash, I’m just not that interesting.:blush:

Greetings,

Mr. SoF. I didn’t see any price listed either. What is the rationale behind this and don’t give me that arrogant “If you have to ask...”. BS. It’s up to ME whether I can or can’t or if I will or won’t afford/buy the item.

Well said, so annoying when people use that phrase, it's usually because they don't know and have nothing to offer to the discussion.

Beautiful boat. I didn't see an asking price, did I miss it?....Only saw estate will be selling for a fraction of replacement value.

Interesting. I crawled through and could have been serious about a boat listed by that brokerage. But she was considerably over priced.

The broker and seller kept bringing up replacement cost. I said the replacement cost of an older boat is irrelevant, they wouldn't budge. I moved on.

Interesting. I crawled through and could have been serious about a boat listed by that brokerage. But she was considerably over priced.

The broker and seller kept bringing up replacement cost. I said the replacement cost of an older boat is irrelevant, they wouldn't budge. I moved on.

I agree, replacement cost has nothing to do with the price of this boat.

Pretty sad that a large scale cleanup of the oceans is not feasible, according to these folks. [emoji25]

NOT very realistic.

Sailing a boat around the world going to exotic ports, attending major sporting events, and preaching to the already converted; all on someone else money? Sign me up!

Although I would rather do it in the Peer Gynt trawler instead of the dorky solar boat. Ironically, the crew of that boat will be as pasty white and vitamin D deficient as I was after a 90 day Pearl to Pearl submarine run up to the Bering Sea.

No stops in Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia or such... Wonder why?

Last edited:
The 1 litre a nautical mile Strip Plank composite unicorn

1_4.jpg

Interesting get home engine arrangement
18_4.jpg

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/oceantech-56-m-v-focus/231147

Bit to enclosed and tight for my liking.

Last edited:
Not a Trawler but an interesting boat that I have heard talked about in the PNW is a full Carbon Fiber runabout, that's powered by a BMW electric motor/battery/modded electronics to turn the power down. Rumored to do over 70 for hours with no noise but the wind and water.. Intended as a tenderer for mega yachts as they have the power bank to re-charge the BMW packs. Rumored to be showing up at the Florida show in a few months. But you know how Airplane/Carbon/Teck goes in the Pacific North West, 3/4 of it is a pipe dream the other 1/4 is pure magic !

Re. post #8171: Art, I spoke to the broker: the same get-home engine runs the genset, hence the hours on it. Nice idea. I was looking at this boat myself, but passed, simply because it does not have any form of stabilisation. The Admiral has insisted on this, after a few off-shore episodes on Seabiscuit. Sharpies have good points, but confused seas is not listed among them.

Last edited:
Spotted this old girl today
Timber 60 ft Cray boat conversion powered by an 8lxb Gardner

Attachments

• 81240686_10215787339982301_2216568939985502208_o.jpg
    81240686_10215787339982301_2216568939985502208_o.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 64
Spotted this old girl today
Timber 60 ft Cray boat conversion powered by an 8lxb Gardner

Interesting that it was mentioned on another page I am on that she may be gearing up for a world circumnavigation like another local vessel here had, Nordlys.

A search found an old ad

27858710_1299730283504328_3343439863926612452_n.jpg

Anchorline Yacht BrokersLike Page
February 16, 2018
NEW LISTING - NELSON RAEBEL 53

Very few Australian designed and built timber cruises can boast the cruising history of Nordlys, let alone one that was built in South-East Queensland. This ketch rigged motor cruiser has not only circumnavigated Australia, but also the world before returning home to the Gold Coast and then setting off on the Ambon (Indonesia) Rally. After being sold by her original owners she has since been to far north Queensland and onto Papua New Guinea before returning home to the Gold Coast where her current owners have enjoyed using her.

Nordlys is a big volume, long range motor cruiser is powered be a single 6LXB Gardner burning just 9 litres per hour (approximately) cruising at 8 knots. Perfect for cruising with family and friends, Nordlys provides a great layout with plenty of space. Her one level saloon, galley and helm is light and airy, functional and gives access to both port and starboard side decks. A three cabin layout includes a master stateroom aft with island berth and ensuite, double cabin and four berth cabin for guest’s or family, guest’s bathroom and separate laundry.

This spacious ketch rigged motor cruiser has a proven cruising ability and offers a layout rarely seen in similar classic Australian built motor cruisers. Sold by Anchorline Yacht Brokers to her previous and current owners and maintained by Regatta Marine (Douglas Fielding) for many years. For a full history, further details or to arrange an inspection please contact Garth Fielding (0408 755 337) or Andrew Fielding (0438 771 439). www.anchorline.com.au

Interesting that it was mentioned on another page I am on that she may be gearing up for a world circumnavigation like another local vessel here had, Nordlys.

A search found an old ad
I see it`s called a Nelson Raebel 53. I believe Nelson Raebel was a marine designer or architect and boatbuilder, he surveyed a sailboat for a friend. Died in the Queensland floods of 2017.

Noticed this beauty in Gig Harbor at Arabella's Landing. Not sure of the design but it took my breath away.

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

Man I love those old raised deck cruisers.

Yes, beautiful lines. Reminds of the "rum runners" that plied the waters between Detroit and Canada.
But, all that exterior teak? No thank you.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. OD. Most likely the bright work is mahogany, I'm guessing.

Could be but still needs year round attention.

I do hope the 'spotted gun' is the heart wood. If they used sap wood, the job will need to be repeated sooner than later.

If someone had the time and the money, they could use this hull for plug and go into the boat building business.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Agreed. Both teak AND mahogany need to be kept up but it has been MY experience that mahogany "holds" varnish better than teak so any finish seems to last longer.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Agreed. Both teak AND mahogany need to be kept up but it has been MY experience that mahogany "holds" varnish better than teak so any finish seems to last longer.

Correct! Varnish does "attach" better to Mahogany.

When young, for many years, in boat Yards of LI South shore in NY and in Maine's Penobscot Bay area... I applied A Lot of Varnish! Sure is beautiful when done. Sure gets ugly with much effort needed to restore if let go too long. Interior last quite a while, remaining in good condition. Exterior life-span pales in comparison; due to the elements.

Lightner Museum, St. Augustine

Attachments

• 20191219_181710-1612x907.jpg
    20191219_181710-1612x907.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 72
  • 20191219_181750-1612x907.jpg
    20191219_181750-1612x907.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom