Interest in cruising the rest of Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Want to cruise beyond SE Alaska?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cruising guide to Prince William Sound IS still available

Sadly the best guide for PWS is no longer in publication, "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe was the golden guide. I saw one advertised on eBay for over $1000...

I keep thinking of simply photo copying mine and handing them out, no idea what the copyright rules are for out of publication prints.

It is amazingly useful, but there are still lots more anchorages to be found by poking about and watching your depth finder for adequate flat spots.

You can order this book. they don't have them on hand, but periodically they do a printing and you can get one. Here's the link:

https://www.cvinternet.net/~pwsbooks/cruisingguides.html

From someone who lived and boated in Juneau and then moved to Anchorage and boated in PWS. I loved the "Sound", 10,000 square miles of wilderness, the beauty, solitude, and peacefulness, endless areas to explore. Don't get me wrong I loved cruising out of Juneau but there is something different about PWS.

With the steady decline of fishing earning potential amidst the shrinking king salmon returns many canneries have been shuttered in our fare state. They are discussing buy backs on the states limited entry set net salmon fisheries in Cook Inlet for example. It would be great to see some amateur boating economic development around the state for locals pockets. There is a ton of great destinations that are not the rain belt. Kodiak and Cook Inlet the surrounding gulf islands and resurrection bay. Western Alaska is great fun to explore all the way to nome in the summer is a great place to be. There is plenty of marine service providers that are experienced and capable. My 2 cents

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom