I Don't Know How You Guys Do It!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Got back from a month in South America last Sunday (Pics coming soon).

I have itchy feet already! I wanted to head off to the Exumas for three months but the missus is denying me. Her argument is that if we get sick we are better here than there. My argument is that if we go there we won't get sick!

She has won of course!

However I did persuade her to load Sonas for a few days starting tomorrow. A few days could stretch into a longer trip. We are starting off up at Cumberland Island (still open to private boaters only with no rangers but toilets open). The weather looks great so I would like to then perhaps run up to St Simon's for a couple of days and then maybe back to Fort George River for awhile. She says no, but I am closely watching the provisioning she is doing and it seems enough for the longer trip!!!!!! I am optimistic!

We had the tender in the garage as we had the engine and the boat itself overhauled during the down-season and a new depthsounder/fishfinder installed. So of course I had to launch the tender at the nearest ramp and bring it home to Sonas ready for our trip. SO I GOT TO BE ON THE WATER TODAY! YIPPEE!

I really feel for you guys who are stuck isolating and without the ability to get out on the boat. I will share some pics to help you live vicariously! :p

Attachments

• tender1.jpg
    tender1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Tender2.jpg
    Tender2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 104
As soon as the weather breaks here in Northern Wisconsin I am going boating. It may be on the hard but it's still boating! Plenty to do.

pete

As soon as the weather breaks here in Northern Wisconsin I am going boating. It may be on the hard but it's still boating! Plenty to do.

pete

I haven't even waited for that. As long as it's above 25 in the storage shed I've been there working as much as time allows. Cold weather is why we have space heaters and heavy sweatshirts. At least another 6 weeks before launch and real boating though.

We did the engine alignment today. We have been working 3 to 5 days a week all winter on the boat. Finished fiberglassing the two through hulls that we removed. Almost done working on the engine room and then we are going to paint the teak toe rail. Then we will be ready for launch.

Isolating for another 10 days.
Our YC has closed all of the Outstations to visitors, so as to avoid the pressure put on those Outstations last weekend. Not easy to maintain 2 m separation on docks that are only 8' wide. All shoreside facilities had already been locked.
Has to be though.

Nice day with light winds and not many boats out - passed four Canadian boats heading north.

Attachments

• MI_24032020_121237.jpg
    MI_24032020_121237.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 59
We were going to take our boat out to excersize the engines but San Diego Bay has been closed to recreational boaters for some unfathonable reason. All the beaches are also closed except for the vagrant encampments that are exempt. Gonna have to run the engines up to operating temps in the slip, using the "H" maneuver to avoid putting any strain on the mooring lines. Good time to catch up on the bright work so it isn't all bad.

Ancora, which agency said SD Harbor is closed to recreational boaters? I don’t see that noted on either the USCG San Diego, or SD Harbor Patrol websites based on a Google search 5 mins ago. We were on the water This past weekend and although reduced traffic, there were rec boaters on the water. They have stopped open party boats, excursions, tourist boats, etc which is a good thing.

Gonna have to run the engines up to operating temps in the slip, using the "H" maneuver to avoid putting any strain on the mooring lines. Good time to catch up on the bright work so it isn't all bad.

And the "H" maneuver is ?, one engine forward in reverse?

The Brockerts

Would using the control's "warm" function not be better?

As a wise old captain once said: "The sea cleanses....it is the land that corrupts!".

We will be boating through this as well. Ain't nobody patrolling the waters nor is anyone saying they are closed. Granted, you must be self sufficient out there as all shore side "resources" are unavailable.

Ancora, which agency said SD Harbor is closed to recreational boaters? I don’t see that noted on either the USCG San Diego, or SD Harbor Patrol websites based on a Google search 5 mins ago. We were on the water This past weekend and although reduced traffic, there were rec boaters on the water. They have stopped open party boats, excursions, tourist boats, etc which is a good thing.

Saw the report on KUSI. We are 44 miles north of SD, but I can access the San Diego Harbor live web cam tomorrow when and if they run the Beer Cans.

Running south from Cumberland Sound/St Mary's inlet to Mayport inlet. Light breeze from the south west.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_105427305.jpg
    IMG_20200327_105427305.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My daughter came to check on the old man. We decided to get some fishing in at the same time. Great way to isolate!

Attachments

• B5602FED-2D1E-425E-8F2A-09AFA6A40E9D.jpg
    B5602FED-2D1E-425E-8F2A-09AFA6A40E9D.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom