Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #21

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I would figure on 10 GPH. At 10knts. That's roughly 1 GPM. Just write that down and look at it. Figure how far you want to go and see if it is a comfortable number for you. Around here diesel is $350/gal. There are a lot of books on The Loop. Fuel could be in the $30 -40K range. The entire loop is 5600 miles. Perfect loop boat (Mainship). Going outside in the big big ocean, maybe not. Just a thought. I went from sail to a trawler. I love it. But, I'm not traveling great distances. Just local cruising. But hey! What the heck do I know? Have fun, searching is half the fun.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
My forward guest cabin has a queen as does my aft quarters.
Attached Thumbnails
ADA37EB9-84D1-4D40-84EA-C9401DDED144.jpg   11F6E306-26B5-420D-B493-17931E0FDB50.jpg  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #23
Guru

Of course they are sideways as usual! Ugh!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #24

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Thanks for all the info, very helpfull...What year did they start putting the single Yanmar Diesels in the 390 model?
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
When one employee someone to swing the compass, they write a card indicating +/- from the real readings. It will help one to steer a real course, manually. Yup and old fashion concept, manually but when everything goes 'down', an accurate magnetic compass and up to date charts will get you home every time.
1 degree off at 100 miles, it's a big error and you might never arrive at the desired destination.
Wouldn’t your gps still be accurate? Why are you looking at your magnetic compass instead of your chart plotter anyway? If you lose electrical power, your battery handheld units will still be working as backup, I have 4 of them on board and lots of batteries in case of a major failure.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #26
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Wouldn’t your gps still be accurate? Why are you looking at your magnetic compass instead of your chart plotter anyway? If you lose electrical power, your battery handheld units will still be working as backup, I have 4 of them on board and lots of batteries in case of a major failure.
I had what must have been a electrical disturbance, durning a storm, to my GPS antenna. Killed the antenna only.
Now, I have two GPS antenna, one SHOULD pick up when the first antenna goes down.
I also have two VHF with a display of Lat and Long on the screen plus a recently acquired Garmin GPSmap 78sc. I have not had the chance or need to use it.
I also have an old hand held Magellan MAP 330M. Bought it new in the mid 80s I think, cost a bundle but, brought my N46 down from Long Island to the Miami area both on the ICW and most of the time off shore even at night. Running 24 hrs a day especially at night off shore is a fantastic experience.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #27
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
This is Old Dan's post referencing the compass deviation card that he called a compass card.
It is also called the compass correction card.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #28
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Old Dan has it right. A compass card is a card that documents the compass errors or deviations on the various compass headings. e.g., compass face says 240 degrees, actual heading 243 degrees, deviation for 240=+3
A compass card the the part of the compass that swings and shows the points of the compass. A "deviation table" is a table that shows the deviation between actual and what shows on the compass of each individual compass.
Attached Thumbnails
compass.png  
Attached Images

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Jefndeb: What's your approx. budget? There may be lots of options in addition to the Mainship in case that boat doesn't
"check all the boxes for you".

You just decided yesterday?! I see many more long nights of research in your future (but that's good since you said you stay up late at night anyway! ). Lmao!

Welcome aboard.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #30

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
My budget is from 100 to 150K, single Yanmar version...yes, lots of research ahead indeed. can anybody recommend a Trawler Bareboat outfit that has Mainship 39 or 400?
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:50 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Welcome
Old 06-16-2018, 05:31 AM   #32
FF
Guru

"I would figure on 10 GPH. At 10knts. That's roughly 1 GPM."

Much of Canada is in canals where the speed is limited to 10 Kilometers per hour , about 5K or 6 statute mph , displacement speeds, so fuel burn will be more like 2-4 gph.

Its much to pretty to want to see Canada whiz by so displacement , tiny wake speeds are a delight.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #33
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
One of the great benefits of chartering is it helps you in determining the size and type that works for you. For instance, many are looking for one comfortable stateroom and one that's just acceptable. You need two that are comfortable.

There's a phrased some use about buying your last trawler first. That is really a warning that a lot of people initially "settle" on something that's just not quite big enough and find themselves back buying a bigger boat not too much later.

I really agree with this approach, especially if you are going to live on the boat, or spend significant stretches of time on the boat. Many suggest buying the smallest boat you think will work. I believe in doing the opposite. Get the biggest boat that you can afford/manage. A boat only seems smaller over time, never bigger. It may seem enormous at first, but that will last maybe a week until you are used to it. Then after a year you will be wishing for more space.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #34
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Donna, here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
donna1.jpg   donna2.jpg  
Old 06-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #35
Guru

Thank you JustBob!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #36
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Re: accommodations. Rumor has it that I snore; on our 38' sedan, Sue gets the centerline forward double and I get the single in a stateroom that's had its upper bunk removed. I'm 6'3 and 280 and it's fine. Most any double cabin boat will get you a pair of doubles or queens; she'll never hear you from 35' away.

Re: flippin' pics. How do you do that?
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #37

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
I have a sleep disorder and normally cannot share the bed with my wife, besides, she goes to bed early and I stay up late...so from what I see most floorplans have a fwd master with a center-line bed and a small twin bunk guest room. Can this be converted into a larger bed for me maybe?
Most that I've seen have a queen bunk which should be plenty.. If not a "conversion" would be very easy(there's room).

Quote:
Can a vessel such as the Mainship 39 go to the Bahamas and stay for a season?
Of course.

Quote:
Can it go further such as the BVI?
The Mainship IMO is just a step up from coastal cruiser. I find it slightly more seaworthy than my Mainship 34.

It's about 350 miles of open water from Turks to Puerto Rico on a straight shot.. IMO this is a little bit outside of the boat's design but very possible. It's only 90 miles to the Dominican which would be only slightly out of the way.

I'd say absolutely but you'll want to take a more coastal path vs sailing with the option to seek shelter if the seas build.

Quote:
I see there are options such as twin Diesel or single...I am OK with a single for economic reasons..how much of a factor would this make in the decision?
The mainship is a semi-planing hull. You can run twins and haul ass but sacrifice efficiency. The way they are set up with higher hp singles i'd want one with a 370 yanmar. With a single you can get about 13 knots which is plenty(16-18 knots with twins) but you'll be drinking fuel. 2-3mpg on this boat @ around 7 knots with a single 370. It's not as efficient as a displacement hull.

Has anybody ever installed a SSB in a trawler?

Does anybody ever add Solar Panels to supplement the Genset?

Quote:
Havent seen a trawler with a watermaker? I would like to install one....good idea?
Plenty of them run watermakers but i'll sum up the last 3 questions with a suggestion.

I think you'd be happier with a blue water boat based on some of your questions. Full displacement will be more seaworthy and efficient but slower. More aligned with sailing.

This is a killer deal IMO would serve you very well. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ars-38723.html
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #38
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
The 1970s and early 80s Californians (at least), whether 38 or 42, were built with two full size beds in the aft stateroom, carry 500 gallons of diesel, and are comfortable boats all around. Mine stays in SoCal, so I can't comment about any of your other requirements.
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Deltaville
Jeff:

Congratulations, you've taken the first step on what should be an interesting and rewarding journey. As many others have already pointed out, research is essential if you want this process to turn out well. In so many of the cases I encounter where it does not, it's a result of a buyer...

Rushing into a purchase because the broker has a "back up offer", and he or she is afraid of missing out on the "perfect" boat.

Thinking about the survey as perfunctory, something to just get through so you can have your boat.

Failure to research, and learn about the brand, model and vintage of vessel, and its engine, you are considering. I've published a few articles on this subject that may be useful. They are...

Engine Surveys The Art of the Engine Survey | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

Selecting a Surveyor http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp...ing-With-1.pdf

Oil Analysis http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp...s143_Final.pdf

Boat Buyer's Top 10 Guide to a Pre-Offer Evaluation A Boat Buyer’s ‘Top Ten’ Guide to a Pre-Offer Evaluation Part I | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

I have installed SSB's on trawlers on several occasions, it's doable.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #40

City: Newport RI
Vessel Name: Pathfinder
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Mainship 400

We also moved from a 28 foot sailboat to our trawler (Mainship 400) and have cruised her from Newport RI to Sarasota FL and Bahamas.

Take a look at our blog for more info on the boat and the trip - http://pathfinderlog.blogspot.com
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote