Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #21
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunesjester View Post
My decision to leave the area is based on my experience with Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola. It took over a year before I could find a slip and over 2 years before the marina I was in prior to the storm was rebuilt. After a major storm, the uphill battle is years long just to get back to pre hurricane status. I just didn't have it in me to slug through this again when my home is mobile.
I know exactly what you mean. We've stuck it out through the rebuilding after Katrina, but I couldn't do it again. It just takes too much of a toll on you emotionally and spiritually. Once is about all I have in me.

Here is the bad part for those who haven't been through one before. The world will forget about you a long time before things are back to normal.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I viewed what I could of the Panama City Marina, but temporary fencing and big Authorized Personnel Only signs kept me too far away to see much. Suffice it to say it is destroyed. Inside Massolina Bayou, right next door, there is much devastation. Boats which had previously nestled in a sheltered corner are all piled up all over the place. A tornado or three did that, and there is video evidence of it somewhere.

Sun Harbor, St Andrews Marina (our second city-owned marina), and the marinas in Grand Lagoon like Bay Point are all heavily damaged and out of action.

With these and Port St Joe ruined and Apalachicola's one sheltered marina full to overflowing with refugee boats, there is only maybe Carrabelle to run to if you are cruising west to east in this area.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Tough for the Loopers coming through there right now.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #24

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 46' Roamer Chris Craft AL '69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I viewed what I could of the Panama City Marina, but temporary fencing and big Authorized Personnel Only signs kept me too far away to see much. Suffice it to say it is destroyed. Inside Massolina Bayou, right next door, there is much devastation. Boats which had previously nestled in a sheltered corner are all piled up all over the place. A tornado or three did that, and there is video evidence of it somewhere.

Sun Harbor, St Andrews Marina (our second city-owned marina), and the marinas in Grand Lagoon like Bay Point are all heavily damaged and out of action.

With these and Port St Joe ruined and Apalachicola's one sheltered marina full to overflowing with refugee boats, there is only maybe Carrabelle to run to if you are cruising west to east in this area.
Last we saw in the news, the Panama City Marina has been listed as closed indefinitely. With the city's ongoing efforts to redevelop the area, rebuilding of the marina may get tied up in that process.
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #25

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
They're cleaning up St. Andrews marina in Panama City. Heartbreaking sights there. I'm trying to be optimistic that it won't take so long to fix things back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1541284414668.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	82578  
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #26

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 46' Roamer Chris Craft AL '69
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
Hurricanes are a drag. Like Katrina and others, it may be the government that's more of a problem than the storm.

Does anyone know the status of St George Inlet and the ICW from Apalac to Destin??
When you say the St George Inlet, are you referring to East Pass between St George Island and Dog Island? If so, that pass was fine as of Oct 16th when I went out it. The aids to navigation were all present and on station.

neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote