Humorous/cute boat names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do so many boaters name their vessels to make a joke or otherwise demean their boats? "Got beer" is only one of many.
My wife said I could buy any boat I wanted as long as she got to name it. So I bought a DeFever 47 and she named it Wretched Beast. Seems that’s the name of a horse ? in one of her favorite books. It works for us although sometimes I have to repeat it to bridges. ??*♂️

I was going through a very expensive divorce and renamed my boat 'Begrudged'. I found that when using the VHF it sounded like an old single cylinder diesel starting up !
After the dust settled I could just about afford the signwriting to rename it, 'Sanity'.

Well, one of the more unusual (and crass) names I’ve seen on a boat was due to a guy winning a major race with a horse, and then buying his (very nice) yacht with the proceeds. The boat’s name was “Lucky Sperm”. There outa be a law…

Not really cute or humorous (sad and pathetic?). If I hadn't been driving, I would have snapped a picture of a 30-foot I/O lake/family boat I passed on the highway last week. "Bottoms Up Bitches" was scrolled across her transom. Hard not to think it says a lot about the owner.

Last edited:
Crass names reflect crass owners and people to avoid.
But just saw one the best genuis names this weekend, "Fooly Vested".

Well, one of the more unusual (and crass) names I’ve seen on a boat was due to a guy winning a major race with a horse, and then buying his (very nice) yacht with the proceeds. The boat’s name was “Lucky Sperm”. There outa be a law…

Just as easily been named "Good Egg"!:whistling:

I was going through a very expensive divorce and renamed my boat 'Begrudged'. I found that when using the VHF it sounded like an old single cylinder diesel starting up !
After the dust settled I could just about afford the signwriting to rename it, 'Sanity'.

Our boat was named "Final Choice", because the previous owner got it in the divorce and it was her final choice.

I've always thought the boat name should be relative to the kind of vessel owned and a name that's easy to pronounce and understood over the VHF.

Attachments

• Circuit Breaker.jpg
    Circuit Breaker.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 25
We haven’t actually named our new/old boat yet. We were going to name it “Joy Lynn” (my wife’s name). Once she actually saw her own name ready for the vinyl print she couldn’t do it. So we are searching for a name. The boat is steel and has kind of a shanty style look and it’s green. We’re thinking maybe “Steel Shanty”. This is not easy to do.

Attachments

• B9228F1F-DC04-4184-A387-24540DEF545F.jpg
    B9228F1F-DC04-4184-A387-24540DEF545F.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 22
We haven’t actually named our new/old boat yet. We were going to name it “Joy Lynn” (my wife’s name). Once she actually saw her own name ready for the vinyl print she couldn’t do it. So we are searching for a name. The boat is steel and has kind of a shanty style look and it’s green. We’re thinking maybe “Steel Shanty”. This is not easy to do.

"Roll'Lynn"

You know... 'on the river'....

4b2dc540f91678470b7a19a2b266a4bf.gif

Maybe Flat Sailor

When we bought our little 32 Senator it had the name Intrigue on it. I thought it was a bit pretentious.
I wanted something I had not seen before and we wanted something that involved our other family members...our two dogs. Then I remembered a place I went to in Kauai when I was in the Marines as a Helicopter crew chief. It was the Missile range/electronic warfare site called Barking Sands. Barking Sands is also the name of an amazing beach there. At the missile range we used to fly through the mountains keeping as low as possible as to not get painted with radar and avoid any "Smokey Sams" they would send up. Lots of fun.

So when we get the chance..in the next few months..when we tackle the paint we will change the name. Simple, personal.

We wanted to bring the memory of our two deceased beloved dogs along with us on our travels. One was named Marina and one was named Sophie. (Both had loved our prior small boats.)

Mariso. (Mare-ih-so)

But I must say, Barking Sands is a most beautiful name.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

P.S. Pack Mule, neat boat!

Last edited:
We named our 41 foot steel Dutch water displacer "Salty Pelican". As Europeans, visiting Florida and Georgia and South Carolina on our first trip to the USA together, we have sweet memories of the bar & restaurant called "Salty Pelican" on Amelia Island.

By the sea. A pitcher of ice-cold Juengling's. Shrimp.The sunny and warm weather ... Six years ago I looked out over the harbor and felt the ocean pulling me towards it. It hasn't start pulling me closer ever since. It felt only adequate to name our first boat "Salty Pelican", both in remembrance of that evening and moment, and as a reminder that we want to revisit that place with the ocean crossing yacht we are currently designing.

Regards, Edwin & Veronika.

Back
Top Bottom