Help identify this trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewb54

Anyone have any idea what this is ? I was told it was a Delphin 33 1964 - can’t seem to find any info on this company or design.

Attachments

• 3C1E6467-274F-47AA-B4F6-DCF50C69D455.jpg
    3C1E6467-274F-47AA-B4F6-DCF50C69D455.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 21D2A748-43F5-49E6-B716-4FFC17E1D110.jpg
    21D2A748-43F5-49E6-B716-4FFC17E1D110.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 99
I'd bet it's Scandinavian.

Thought it was Dutch - thinking of redoing her - solid fiberglass no rot -really nice lines on her. Storage yard says I can have her if I do it in less than 3 years …..

I like it.
I think there’s a guy from Finland that has a very similar boat. Similar re both hull and cabin. I think he’s a member on TF. I usta watch for his posts.

But my interest lies w the little OB boat w the green hull bottom. Something almost never seen is the curved spray/lift rail. Looks like it’s configured to help minimize stern squat. No narrow fore-foot either. It’s a possibility Ray Hunt could have been the creator methinks.

Last edited:
A cool / cold climate boat, with all that fixed cabin glass. Like the way the running gear is so well-protected. The nearly level shaft angle suggests the engine is amidships and low. The big, rectangular rudder well aft should help her respond handily in close quarters.

She has a Perkins 4 in her I imagine it’s a 4-107? Yes the engine is midship and low - but not under the floor - it has a bunk about 3 x2 covering it. You could easily use it for a seat set just in front of the cabin entrance

Sweet looking little boat! Full displacement hull, should sip fuel.

You ready to dig in and get your hands (and the rest of you) dirty?

But hey, can't beat the price eh?

Gelcoat is shot - I’ve been studying on YouTube university hard. I’m pretty handy but have never worked with gelcoat- I realize every inch of her needs a thorough touching. Seems a little daunting

Greetings,
Mr. D. Personally, I would fair the hull, perhaps put a barrier coat below the waterline and paint. A few years back we did a "roll and tip" to our 46' Cheoy Lee and it turned out quite well, IMO. Used Alexseal paint. VERY user friendly.

Agree with RTF. Two part barrier coats below the waterline and two part epoxy paint above. The two part epoxy paints (roll and tip) last many years, and more importantly, they are easy to repair. Stay away from Awlgrip. Extremely difficult to repair. Awcraft is repairable. I only have experience with Interlux Perfection-also, very easy to roll and tip.

That sounds great. I was wondering what type of paint/gelcoat to try. I didn’t put much thought into the bottom coat….. When you say “two barrier” are you referring to two part paints? Also, what product would you fair the hull with?
There’s a ton of products info out there - you get a great(much better) handle on real world use by working experience and good advice. Thank You guys

Last edited:
That sounds great. I was wondering what type of paint/gelcoat to try. I didn’t put much thought into the bottom coat….. When you say “two barrier” are you referring to two part paints? Also, what product would you fair the hull with?
There’s a ton of products info out there - you get a great(much better) handle on real world use by working experience and good advice. Thank You guys

System Three Quickfare is great. Easy to mix, dries quick and easy to sand. The bottom barrier coat is a must. It will help prevent blistering. Interlux InterProtect 2000E Barrier Coat Epoxy Primer is popular and one I've used. It will tell you a thickness, which I've never been able to figure out. I'm thinking a minimum of two coats. Also, study up on when to start the bottom paint. I think you start the bottom paint before the barrier coat is completely dry to help it attach. Each brand has their own instructions.
You can't go wrong with two part (epoxy) primers and topcoats. The added benefit is the ease of matching colors (factory colors you know) when doing repairs and the ease of inexperienced (like myself) of applying the paint. Like anything else, the prep for the paint is 90% of the work.
I've never attempted gel-coat. It seems like an artform to me. Matching colors being the challenge. I had no idea there were so many shades of white.

Anyone have any idea what this is ? I was told it was a Delphin 33 1964 - can’t seem to find any info on this company or design.

I recognize that, its a Sweet Money Pit Model Time Sinker. :lol:

Being a 1964 hull, if she hasn't blistered yet....I think your good...Barrier coat if it helps you sleep at night

It should. There is a reason it's free if out in 3 years.

The question is how much dough do you want to contract vs how much sweat equity you're willing to invest.

Seems like a really cool boat with nice lines - unique here in the states. I have time and a a small budget. But I’m looking for an adventure not a sentence lol

I really like the boat butI’d be apprehensive about the low cabin. Absolutely great for minimal side windage but she’ll likely come up short on head room. In a boat of this size I’m OK w headroom an inch or two short. Visibility, CG and windage are important to me.

Overall it’s good this boat is not closer … I may need to have her.

Yea right?? - there’s just something about her that keeps me coming back. I think it’s the lines or maybe the story behind how she got to this little marina. She’s not from around here ….

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. D. One, potentially cheap, option is to do the minimal to get her running and floating. IF, and a VERY many "IFS" here is what actual condition is she in now? Engine/drive train, electrical (can be very minimal), hull/deck/cabin integrity (meaning leaks both major and minor). See how you like her and THEN make a decision as to her potential or lack thereof.

In order to do a proper analysis and provide the most encouraging opinions, the world NEEDS more information and pictures. STAT!

iu

Last edited:
If you are really marine stuff capable go for it, provided you have $50-75K plus to do it. New tanks, wiring, engine work, drive train, interior joinery, exterior, instruments etc. in other words, assume a gut job. Not to mention the time -----
But at the end you'll have a little beauty.

Yea right?? - there’s just something about her that keeps me coming back. I think it’s the lines or maybe the story behind how she got to this little marina. She’s not from around here ….

you're not the first sailor to be lusting after an exotic girl from a far off land. it's a very old story...

If you are really marine stuff capable go for it, provided you have $50-75K plus to do it. New tanks, wiring, engine work, drive train, interior joinery, exterior, instruments etc. in other words, assume a gut job. Not to mention the time -----
But at the end you'll have a little beauty.

With everything new it could be that expensive. But if so how-a-bout a new hull?

A clever person could re-fit the boat for far far less. Just for openers one could get a good take out engine as many sailboats use engines the perfect size for this boat 40-60hp. And many more engines in the 15-25hp range as there are so many smaller sailboats.

A free boat can be very expensive, but I wish you luck if you want to take on this project.

Find out how much the yard will let you do for a better look-see.

Power wash the dirt off the outside and then go in with a battery and see if the engine runs? You can fix the hose to the sea cock. This will also let you check a lot of electricals. Test the steering, see if the rudder moves. Grab the prop, is it stuck?

Yeah, we need more info!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom