Old 02-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #21

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dawgg View Post
My biggest reason for twin diesels is that we have strong currents , even whirlpools in desolation sound , dont I need power?
Over a hundred years of commercial fishermen going out at all times of year, in all weather, would suggest that not only are twins unnecessary, they are actually a liability. Fishermen spend big money to get the job done, but only if it benefits them.

Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:42 AM   #22
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Salty,,
Like Sue said, you don't need 2 engines or even big engines to go through any of the rapids in these waters. I used to own a 37 foot sailboat with a 29 HP engine and we went through almost all of the various rapids along the BC coast and had no issues.
Just an example. I am not saying a 29 HP engine is good for a powerboat, but good friends have a 60 foot full displacement powerboat and they have a single 145 HP engine that has powered them all over the BC coast, Alaska, Haida Gwaii, West Coast of Vancouver Island, etc.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Tip: get a copy of the current yearís edition of Ports and Passes for tide and current information from Olympia, WA through Glacier Bay, Alaska.
You donít need to buy anything to research tides or currents in your area. Here are the currents, tides in same website. https://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/data/currents/2021#vol6
Bill
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #24

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Yes, you can look them up from the official source, and then print or save to your cell. I wouldn’t depend on cell reception in desolation sound. Personally though, I find it’s much easier to flip open the coil-bound book...

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #25
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
One thing you should rethink is the twin diesel and 20 mph cruise speed. Read th thread about trawler vs express. Especially cruising mostly alone and at your age, SLOW DOWN, you will be glad you did. Go with a single diesel.

pete
On the other hand, I am a bunch older than the OP, and I don't want to go anywhere under planing speed. I did my decades in the slow mode, and now I enjoy this speedier boat probably employing it in ways the OP seems to want. While mine is too small for his needs, and Mainships are thin on that coast, a 34 Pilot might appeal and with its low silhouette could be shipped across country relatively cheaply.

Lots of luck with the search, and I hope we hear about the results. This could be another Adventures of Sylphide.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #26

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
I'd say get an easy to acquire local boat and see what it is like. Your first boat is rarely the 'right' boat long term. Searching for a boat can be fun and a good learning experience.

As you are a lonesome wolf get the smallest boat that seems just big enough to you.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #27

City: Victoria, BC
Quote:
My biggest reason for twin diesels is that we have strong currents , even whirlpools in desolation sound , dont I need power?
Our GB32 is a single Lehman 120 that makes a max 8kts down hill and wind astern. Seamanship and planning is preferable to speed. And double engines is double cost....for everything. Think about taking it slow and easy. It also takes longer to get into trouble that way 😆.
VanIsleGB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #28

City: Vancouver, WA
Vessel Name: Yukon Jack
Vessel Model: 30' Tollycraft sedan
Salty Dawgg. I'm fairly new here also and have recently purchased a 1979 Tollycraft 30' Sedan to get back on the water. It's big enough to live on, is a pretty seaworthy boat and I can handle it by myself. I have twin 120hp Volvo diesels and accepted the higher maintenance, but intend to cruise in the 10 Kt range for both enjoyment and fuel economy. Ironically, I'm already thinking about a bigger boat a couple of years in the future.
What gave me the bug to get back on the water was watching U-Tube videos of people in the Puget Sound area. Those below have boats of various sizes, but the videos explain why they are on the water, their adventures and what they hope to do. Many people start out with one idea, or boat, and evolve into another completely different perception, and boat.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBi...oA217lkkj04mvg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGi...AuaqKLu0t4fFgw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBu...cZurJQSWptMfQw

Happy hunting
Chas
NWpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Oh, One more thing for you to consider..

Wealth is relative. Stating you have 100G for this project indicates you are not "poor". Lots of people are out there on the water for a lot less, myself included.

Also stating you have $100G does not mean you need or even want to spend it all on a boat. Do lots of research, ask lots of questions. You will be able to find a really nice boat for half that amount. Also you will be able to find a really, really nice boat for twice that amount.

Beyond that, I'll stick with my original response, "Slow Down".

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Hi Salty; PM me if you like.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
You have big dangerous currents. A Tide and Current book is your best friend in that area. I donít care how powerful your boat is, running Seymour Narrows against a spring tide is dangerous.
DC36Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Remember you only need one working engine.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Quote:
NO.

If you want the power to go fast that's fine. But do not count on the power to keep you out of trouble in the passes with fast , strong currents.

What you do need to do is get ahold of the tide and current tables and learn to use them so you avoid those currents. As you gain experience with the currents you can play around a bit but even so they deserve respect.

I have known people with the attitude that they can power through any current. The only trouble was the currents did not understand or agree with their thinking.

Nobody got killed but there were injuries and boat damage. Also wood can be hidden in the turbulent water. At slack water, which is when you should aim for, that same wood will usually be visible unless it is a true deadhead.

Unfortunately Canada no longer publishes the Tide and Current tables. They do offer them for free online and/or for you to print. I have downloaded them but finally broke down and purchased the Ports and Passes book which I had resisted for the last MANY years.

I would suggest you download the Cdn, version and learn to use the tables for nothing other than the effort. When you get your boat then buy the P & P book.

It is not just the currents that are important. You also need to understand the tides and how to use those tables or you may be stranded/beached or run over something you need not have.

Lots of anchorages are useable but only if you understand the tide tables.

Last and I will leave. The faster you go the less time you have to spot floating hazards and if/when you argue with something the damage will be more severe.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #34
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
What C lectric said. If you want to boat around here you need to understand and work with the tides. Seymour, and a few other tidal passes in the area, have fearsome reputations but with knowledge and respect you will have no problems. I have a single engine, cruise at 8 knots, and can usually get wherever I want to. But you cannot have hard deadlines or bad stuff happens.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Sport Cruiser
I’m going to get a little nuanced but what the heck - you guys are 100% correct that one must know the currents in his waters. Period. But a 20 knot boat vs an 8 knot boat widens the margins, in some ways considerably. We spent our first several summers going north on a Tiara. Knowing we could be across the straights in an hour and a half or that I could hammer it and make it through a rapids at slack without precise timing / planning was nice.

If the OP envisions day trips, short weekends etc. that may be a pretty good benefit. There are many 35 foot +/- planing boats that will run at 1 MPG +/- at cruise.
Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #36
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
For our area, Campbell River/Powell River, Comox, etc. One main engine, one bow thruster, one dinghy with decent power. The bow thruster is a huge assist, the dinghy with decent power is your tender and your alternative power should your main power quit, this is rare.

With twins, you have twin serving, maintenance etc, you are doubling your engine bill.
For your budget, keep a look out for a used Nordic or Ranger tug, just about perfect boats for our waters, and distance cruising down to Victoria or Olympia and up to SE Alaska. At $100,000 if you see a tug style boat and its in reasonable shape, jump at it, in general they move quickly.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:46 AM   #37

Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Double that!!

I did purposely run Seymour Narrows against a small tide two years ago. I was able to work the back eddies along the shore for quite a bit and make good headway, but there came a point where I had to get out in the center of the current for about the last 1/2 mile.... with all the engine running closes to full, I made 3 knots over ground! No danger, and I knew what I was getting into (small tide) but I was glad to finish slogging through it!

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #38
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
My suggestion is budget $80,000 for the boat and the remaining $20,000 for updating and repairs that will pop up quickly if they don't already exist. You can get something decent for $80,000.

Generally speaking, you can get a 'better' boat for $60K-80K. Dont be afraid of a single engine boat. Just requires more practice. Practice backing down straight while away from the dock. Then slide into the slip bow first and back out straight. A bow thruster will make life easier when it comes to docking and line tying.
Neutral is a gear, use it! Watch how the boat behaves before making a correction. A slow approach may be perfect.
Come to think of it, employ a training captain for a day and a night. Watch him/her, listen to him/her, remember what he/she says and teaches you.
I have a single engine (380 Cummins) boat but, you sure cant get an American Tug for less than $250K.
Good luck, enjoy the learning experience and your travels.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #39

City: Campbell River
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
[QUOTE=OldDan1943;979443]:

Neutral is a gear, use it! Watch how the boat behaves before making a correction. A slow approach may be perfect.

Very well put! Neutral and watch, and forget you have a throttle until you get things figured out. Much cheaper on the pocket book, and whatís left of your 100K.

I have spent the winter watching You Tube, and I canít quite understand some boats from 10í to 100í, unless you stroke out behind the wheel what the hell is this forward reverse full stick? Sorry wondered a little bit....
Okydowky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #40
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okydowky View Post

I have spent the winter watching You Tube, and I can’t quite understand some boats from 10’ to 100’, unless you stroke out behind the wheel what the hell is this forward reverse full stick? Sorry wondered a little bit....
Could be they lost control of the approach?

Trying to over come the wind and or current?

Hint: once you get a bow or stern line over, with the rudder, you can move the opposite end of the boat to the dock. Fun to do. MORE practice.