Headsets, have you owned both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have the older Eartech (we hated) and the Sena SPH10s which we love. The behind the head band makes them stay put and easy to use. The pairing is down to memory now. I put mine on, power up, press Sync and my wife does the rest with hers while I handle the boat. When the Senas are not on our head, they are plugged in at the helm. I used them a lot when washing the boat, working in engine room, etc listening to Bluetooth music and tech support phone calls. I do remove the microphone boom when it is not needed.

We started out with the Eartech headset/beltpack headsets which were light and comfortable. The cord between headset and belt pack got in the way. We've owned two generations of the Eartech.

Next we bought the Sena SPH10 which were light and worked great. We loved the SPH10. Until the headband on one headset broke at about the 2 year mark. Checked the other headset and there were tiny cracks on the band. Talked to Sena and no replacement headband was available. Searched the internet and there were a large number of people complaining about broken SPH10 headbands. Sena said to buy another one.

I emailed Jeff Bezos and complained about Amazon selling the $320 headband that breaks after two years and Senas lack of repair parts. One of his Executive assistants called me and offered me a 40% discount on any brand headset. Upon my insistence, Amazon stopped selling the SPH10's for one month.

With the 40% discount, I bought the double ear Eartech Ultralites. They work great, are relatively light and easy to use. The ears do get warm from the vinyl earcup but we don't wear them that long.

I did buy extra batteries for the Ultralites from Amazon shortly after buying the headsets. It's hard to tell if the headset is turned off after turning it off and we inadvertently ran the battery down and discovered it's dead, just when the headsets are needed. Now, a spare charged battery is ready when needed.

The Sena SPH 10's are great headsets but because of the fragile headband and Senas refusal to stock spare parts, I do not recommend them.

My description of the Sena headband issue on a Amazon review:

These headsets are not designed or manufactured well. The U shaped headband that goes over your head has a metal reinforcement in it. The connection of the U shaped headband to the earpieces is flimsy unreinforced plastic. The plastic connection is C shaped to allow wires to pass through it from one earpiece to the other. Placing the headset on your head require the earpieces spread apart to clear the ears. The strong resistance of the U shaped headband with the steel reinforcement causes the plastic connection to bend and twist, eventually breaking the plastic.

I contacted Sena to order a replacement for the broken plastic connection and found that a replacement part was not available.

Managed to retrieved the sets from the rubbish bin - just in time! Now to open one of them to check the battery details and see if I can order some. Thanks so much for the help. It's really appreciated.

Having said I'd try replacing the batteries, the decision has been reversed and the SENA sets are back in the bin. Why? Operationally, we've found that the SENA's neck band (as opposed to Eartec's headband) is easily caught in a coat or lifejacket at just the wrong time, dragging the headset off the head.

So, an order for the 2 Eartec Untralite 'dual ear' bundle is about to be made, with 2 spare batteries. We'll make our own lanyards.

Having said I'd try replacing the batteries, the decision has been reversed and the SENA sets are back in the bin. Why? Operationally, we've found that the SENA's neck band (as opposed to Eartec's headband) is easily caught in a coat or lifejacket at just the wrong time, dragging the headset off the head.

So, an order for the 2 Eartec Untralite 'dual ear' bundle is about to be made, with 2 spare batteries. We'll make our own lanyards.

I sold the broken Sena parts on eBay. People buy them and use the parts to make whole ones to resell.

IMO I would go with Eartec. I like the RF transmit over Bluetooth. Can always monitor on a scanner or vhf.

Anyone use FRS/GMRS frequency radios with a VOX stetting and a ear bud?

Before hitting the buy it now button, anyone know if we get a discount somewhere on Eartechs? I am convinced these will be the ones for the family. https://eartec.com/product/ultralite-ul2d/

Have you contacted Eartech directly? When I was asking them questions about the Ultra Lites last year, the associate I was talking to offered me a discount if I bought at that time. I don't remember what the percentage was but it was like 10 or 15 percent. If I didn't already have a better discount from Amazon, I would have taken the offer.

We run three Eartech headsets. They'y're the current model and allow full duplex on all headsets. They work very well but as someone noted it is easy to find one or more to be 'on' when they're stored, check the LED. Also, I added tethers so that if they fall off they don't end up in the drink. So far we're quite happy. I have not tried Sena, I read too many complaints of physical breakage. The Eartech is pretty husky.

Eartech vs Sena

We started out with Senas. I am pretty techy but I could not get them to pair, no matter what I did. I had Sena help on the phone - they still would not pair. Sent them back. Got Eartechs. Mine are the two earcup style and very comfortable. THEY STAY PAIRED. Do, however remember to turn off the master headset - one must remind the captain of this on a regular basis. They are comfortable to wear and stay on my head when scrambling off the boat for docking. Sound is very clear - I have been on the dock when the Captain was turning the boat around and the boat was about 200 feet away and we could hear each other perfectly. We have a KK42, so when he is docking there is no way he can see where the boat is in relation to the dock, so we both think of the Eartechs as essential. They make docking at a side tie simple.:flowers:

We have three of the newer ear techs. Got them at the suggestion of the instructor my wife hired to give her docking and close quarter maneuvering coaching. With the three we could hear and talk to each other. They worked great. Last week we pulled into a new slip and my wife wanted the stern pulled in tighter, so she pulled and pulled on the slippery line and thenheard “ooh, ooh, splash. She backed right off the dock, eartech and all. When she climbed up the dock ladder with her automatically inflated life jacket and eye glasses askew she was still wearing her eartech. A quick drying and they were set to go again.

Excellent suggestion to call Eartech, I can't post what they did today to earn the business but it was better than anything advertised. Very pleased someone answered the phone and was pleasant during the call. Three sets heading this way!

Back
Top Bottom