Headsets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have Eartech so haven't looked into anything else.

Curious what other brands and systems folks are using? I call these the 'Marriage Savers'!

We briefly shopped on the Eartec's but ended up with SENA SPH-10s.

Pros are duplex working (as with Eartec), headset behind the neck instead of over the head, we can hear other discussion at the same time (hear around the earpieces)...

Some folks may like they work with other Bluetooth sources (phones, music, etc.) but we don't use them for that.

I've read batteries aren't easy to change; no experience with that yet, and ours are probably 5 years old by now...

-Chris

We briefly shopped on the Eartec's but ended up with SENA SPH-10s.

Pros are duplex working (as with Eartec), headset behind the neck instead of over the head, we can hear other discussion at the same time (hear around the earpieces)...

Some folks may like they work with other Bluetooth sources (phones, music, etc.) but we don't use them for that.

I've read batteries aren't easy to change; no experience with that yet, and ours are probably 5 years old by now...

-Chris

I have a pair of the SENA SPH-10 headsets for sale if anyone is interested.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1166591&postcount=1

We bought some (eartec?) and have never used them in a season of operation. Wife has a hard time estimating distance so we try to dock on stbd where i can see and speak calmly to her about lines. She often drives off the dock with some instructions and me handling lines.

EarTec here, too, which we've been very happy with -- except how easy it is to run the remote set's battery down by accident. Get a second set of batteries and keep them charged and they have been great. The HollyView system looks like a potential competitor though!

Just to add to the discussion:

The reason I started this topic is because about 6 years ago I bought the eartec, used them for one trip and sent them back.

Felt like I was always using one hand to keep them from falling over the side.

Replaced them with SENAs. Thought they were awesome for like two years. After that they started unpairing, always at the worst time. And also they started falling apart.

Time to buy…… just trying to decide.

The reason I started this topic is because about 6 years ago I bought the eartec, used them for one trip and sent them back.

Replaced them with SENAs. Thought they were awesome for like two years. After that they started unpairing, always at the worst time. And also they started falling apart.

Eartec has a number of different models at different quality (and price) points. And they have evolved.

We too had an older version of their master/slave headsets, used them once or twice, and returned them. You couldn't get them paired unless the two people were in talking distance to coordinate. And it was easy to inadvertently unpair them, at which point you were screwed because you were trying to dock and couldn't pause and get together again to coordinate a repairing. They made docking much more stressful and accident prone, not less.

The ones we have now use a base station/hub so there is no master or slave. And you just turn them on and they work. They are light years better, and because the base station can be centrally located, we have excellent reception from anywhere to anywhere on the boat, regardless of what structure is in between. My only complaint is that they are a touch on the flimsy side. We had one headband snapped on arrival when we bought them, and I just replaced the charging station because it is half fried.

EarTec here, too, which we've been very happy with -- except how easy it is to run the remote set's battery down by accident. Get a second set of batteries and keep them charged and they have been great. The HollyView system looks like a potential competitor though!
Same here. To save battery power, try taking the batteries out of the units when not in use.

We have used the 'marriage saver' brand from "Cruising Solutions". They were less than $50 when we bought them, I think they are now around $200. Fully duplex, hands off. They are not blue tooth enabled as they are at least 10 years old, but they still work great for us.

Thing I dislike are all the features. I don’t want to have music, telephone calls 6 simultaneous users and all the other stuff. Just want to talk and hear the admiral. Currently have Sena. It’s ok. Would like something even simpler.

We found that if you remove the Eartec batteries when not in use they last a long time. They were almost full after a winter in storage. If left in they don't last more than a week or so.

We used Eartec, single ear headsets and were very happy with them and the performance! Good advice about removing the batteries when not in use, and having a spare set of batteries as well. Pretty simple actually.

There are work arounds or prevention measures that can all but eliminate the sets accidentally falling off and/or overboard. We fashioned a "home made" lanyard setup to ensure that the headset could not fall overboard. A person could also use an elastic "sports" style headband or a hat to help them stay in place if they found that to be a problem. We didn't need that solution as for us they stayed in place even during anchoring. We liked the single ear model as we were able to hear "others" (like dock hands) while still hearing (and being to speak to) our partner. They gave us the ability to instantly communicate, giving an accurate clear message, in a calm and reliable manner. At times this could be invaluable (IMHO). Hand signals and/or line of sight voice communication can be difficult to impossible on some boats.

We used the Eartecs for 2 full seasons before selling them to another TF member (having recently sold our boat with our old (still working) sets (different brand)), and they were basically in like new condition. We stored them in their case when not in actual use. Each season was over 3 months of continuous boat use and we used the headsets for docking and departures, anchoring, and taking a mooring, so they had lots of use.

Just a customer, no affiliation as an FYI.

We used Eartec, single ear headsets and were very happy with them and the performance! Good advice about removing the batteries when not in use, and having a spare set of batteries as well. Pretty simple actually.

There are work arounds or prevention measures that can all but eliminate the sets accidentally falling off and/or overboard. We fashioned a "home made" lanyard setup to ensure that the headset could not fall overboard. A person could also use an elastic "sports" style headband or a hat to help them stay in place if they found that to be a problem. We didn't need that solution as for us they stayed in place even during anchoring. We liked the single ear model as we were able to hear "others" (like dock hands) while still hearing (and being to speak to) our partner. They gave us the ability to instantly communicate, giving an accurate clear message, in a calm and reliable manner. At times this could be invaluable (IMHO). Hand signals and/or line of sight voice communication can be difficult to impossible on some boats.

We used the Eartecs for 2 full seasons before selling them to another TF member (having recently sold our boat with our old (still working) sets (different brand)), and they were basically in like new condition. We stored them in their case when not in actual use. Each season was over 3 months of continuous boat use and we used the headsets for docking and departures, anchoring, and taking a mooring, so they had lots of use.

Just a customer, no affiliation as an FYI.

Agreed, and FWIW there are also specific lanyards for them (not the only solution, just noting them). Put one end on each side and wear the lanyard strap behind the head. Helps prevent them from falling completely off when leaning over. So far so good for us. https://eartec.com/product/ultralite-eartec-lanyard/

Sena rate the SPH-10 as designed for “rugged versatility for outdoor sporting activity”, with a two year warranty, fully water resistant, wearing with helmets etc.
Could you not qualify for a warranty claim if they are falling apart after two years wearing them around a boat?

Sena rate the SPH-10 as designed for “rugged versatility for outdoor sporting activity”, with a two year warranty, fully water resistant, wearing with helmets etc.

Could you not qualify for a warranty claim if they are falling apart after two years wearing them around a boat?

Liked them a lot for 2 years. Put up with them for 2 more years. Long past warranty

Joe

Liked them a lot for 2 years. Put up with them for 2 more years. Long past warranty

Joe

SENA does occasionally issue firmware updates for these units, might help?

James

The simple route

We went the simple route when looking at marriage saver headsets. It dawned on us we both have cell phones with headsets/earbuds/etc. So the simple solution was for us to just use what we already have. I just give my wife a call when we're coming into the dock and we just use the phone for our communications. Works just fine and it's one less set of technology we have to buy and maintain.

We are using Sena and find them OK. Sometimes they take a bit of time to pair properly.

We find that after installing a bow thruster, our stress level and need to use the headsets has greatly diminished. We can calmly communicate from flybridge to cockpit with normal voice now, not top of lungs as before!

We are using now only when we need to back down a congested fairway, eg. inside a marina.

We had Sent and I am just about to put them on eBay! Didn't get on with them, too complicated to set up each time. Have wireless (not Bluetooth) set now sorry don't have the name at the moment but they are much better

We went the simple route when looking at marriage saver headsets. It dawned on us we both have cell phones with headsets/earbuds/etc. So the simple solution was for us to just use what we already have. I just give my wife a call when we're coming into the dock and we just use the phone for our communications. Works just fine and it's one less set of technology we have to buy and maintain.

I think that's a great solution if your cruising is reliably within cell coverage.

We use EarTech as well and very happy with them. Mics work fine, sound quality is good/clear, so we can communicate without a problem.
Whichever brand you decide upon, just make sure you can hear eachother without having to shout or having to repeat anything. You also don't want any outside noises when you are not talking, in other words the threshold for sound passing by the Mic should be high.
And in the end, any set which does the job is perfect to save your marriage, because without them an otherwise beautiful day on the water can turn sour in less than a few seconds.:rofl::ermm:

………And in the end, any set which does the job is perfect to save your marriage, because without them an otherwise beautiful day on the water can turn sour in less than a few seconds.:rofl::ermm:

Exactly M, sometimes the first mate is merely “tolerating” this lifestyle obsession of the boating oriented partner, so really important to keep stress levels as low as possible.

Somebody mentioned earlier they hardly use their headsets any more due to a bow thruster fitment, which is fine if you only use the same berth and crew member each time, but often it’s a case of multiple crew, meaning different family members and different berthing/anchoring locations, and as we all know, coming alongside in strong tides and winds (blow off), can definitely change the dynamic rapidly.
We also use them for repairs/adjustments around the boat when the other person is out of sight.

For sale - Eartech UltraLite

I have a set of Eartech UltraLite that I purchased shortly before we sold our boat. Only used approximately 6 times. Like new.

PM me if you're interested in more info. Asking $250.

IMG_3865.jpg

I’ve used the Sena SPH-10s for ten years. I consider them as important as having a boat hook onboard.

Great sound quality, no wind noise, no static, and two-way conversation make anchoring and mooring pickup much lower stress.

At first a charge lasts a very long time but after about five years the batteries seem to go down hill.. I just buy another pair.. well worth the cost to have anchoring or mooring pickup go well.

Back
Top Bottom