Old 12-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #21

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
headset comms for helm to foredeck

Cruising Solutions sells these which are behind the head.

https://www.cruisingsolutions.com/co.../my-team-talks

We've used these for several years and wish we knew of them sooner.

Hearing aids not an issue.

Have worn them for most of a day and were comfortable.

We drive from the bridge and they work all over the boat, even in the engine room while mate on bridge. Great for safety as 1 of us moves about the boat while underway, the other can communicate. Cuts down duplicate trips up & down galley to bridge.

Strongly recommend them.

Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #22

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
We use a pair of Sena SPH10 on Play d'eau. Well made and so good to use - at first.

BUT, after one season they refuse to hold a reasonable charge. 5 minutes just isn't enough. So for us they are a nightmare.

I've tried and tried to find info on the batteries but with zero results. SENA refuses to divulge this info, won't sell them to you, and keep saying they are impossible to change. I'm then told I'm the only one with this battery life problem. Really?

Hence, we're throwing them away.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
Sorry if absurd; but I've always thought we'd use walkie-talkies with handsfree earbuds and mics. Sure is a lot cheaper and can't beat the range -voice activated too.
Am I missing something?

We gave that a try for a while. Good family radios, but the VOX-activated mics suffered from a built-in delay when you first start speaking... so we had to adopt the habit of conversations like "One Two Three Four Blah Blah Blah..."

Where the numbers were fillers so the recipient would know when the real conversation started.

It worked but it was seriously distracting, especially in circumstances where the next instruction needed to be fast.

-Chris
Old 01-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #24

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We Purchased the SPH10 Units rom a Harley dealer about 5 years ago, best thing we ever purchased, keeps everything calm when docking and anchoring, my wife can calmly tell me what's going on and I can let her know what I am thinking, no wind issues, and the ones we bought are designed for use with a hat, or helmet, Also called the Marriage savers
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #25

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
After trial and error of several brands We purchased the Senas 2 years ago and absolutely love them.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
For those that like to save a buck and enjoy mcgyvering, reviews on many of the under $100/pair motorcycle sets are good.
BTS2 is one, some say a Sena killer
Would be a simple task to fit them to a $10 set of earmuffs and essentially have the same result with enough coin leftover for several bottles of a nice, isle Islay whiskey.

Sena s10 are over $500 in Oz

https://m.banggood.com/1000m-Motorcy...saAtVhEALw_wcB
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #27

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Cara Mia
Vessel Model: DeFever Raised Pilothouse 60
Eartech works!

We lived aboard for 6 years here in Seattle on 60' DeFever, and tried cheap walkie talkies that were ok on ski slopes, but worthless on a boat, expensive Motorola VOX walkie talkies that barely functioned with big Detroit diesel noise aft, then last Spring finally ponied up for Eartech Ultralights from Amazon. These arrived quickly, work perfectly, filter out engine noise, no problem with my hearing aids, and easily mute by flipping up the mike boom whenever one of us wanted to talk to a guest or dockhand. Must make sure to turn off between docking events (easiest to simply take out batteries to be sure) or dead headset battery after anchoring overnight in Andrews Bay.

Sadly, my wife of 38 years was killed in August by a drunk driver as she walked our two small dogs near our marina. A dock neighbor recently used the Eartech while helping me go get my fuel tanks filled for winter heating, and the crystal clear communication made each docking really easy and impressed him too.
gmasciana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #28
Guru

Simi, Uniden`s UH507SX-2NB radios come in a pair with Vox headsets for around $100, but the headsets are crap,as was Uniden support when I sought replacements. I found aftermarket replacement headsets for under $30 delivered (yes, Ebay). The actual radios are excellent, incl. the battery performance
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasciana View Post
We lived aboard for 6 years here in Seattle on 60' DeFever, and tried cheap walkie talkies that were ok on ski slopes, but worthless on a boat, expensive Motorola VOX walkie talkies that barely functioned with big Detroit diesel noise aft, then last Spring finally ponied up for Eartech Ultralights from Amazon. These arrived quickly, work perfectly, filter out engine noise, no problem with my hearing aids, and easily mute by flipping up the mike boom whenever one of us wanted to talk to a guest or dockhand. Must make sure to turn off between docking events (easiest to simply take out batteries to be sure) or dead headset battery after anchoring overnight in Andrews Bay.

Sadly, my wife of 38 years was killed in August by a drunk driver as she walked our two small dogs near our marina. A dock neighbor recently used the Eartech while helping me go get my fuel tanks filled for winter heating, and the crystal clear communication made each docking really easy and impressed him too.
Very sorry for your loss.

Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote