Headliner Re-attachment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byekurman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seawood
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
There are sections of headliner that have come unglued and are sagging a bit. The material is in great shape and all I need to do is reatttach it without damaging it. I thought I had seen a post where someone had a fix for this but I've searched and can't find it. Your ideas would be appreciated.

I have reglued headliner by taking a syringe filled with contact cement. Insert the syringe needle thru the sagging headliner and squirting the contact cement around. After you get enough cement then push the headliner up against the fiberglass to get some on both the headliner and the fiberglass. Then let the headliner sag back away from the fiberglass. Let the cement tack up then push the headliner back and work it tight to the glass.

Thanks Dave for your suggestion. It's kind of what I was thinking of doing. It would be great if I could find a pressurized adhesive that was fitted with a needle to pierce the hanging fabric allowing the mist to adhere to inner fabric and glass wall. Then just carefully press fabric back against the glass. I think I'm asking for too much!

Rubber cement can be bought in spray cans , simply get a tube from a can of spray oil , the slightly larger puncture for the tube will seal up in the process.

We had the same problem on our 390 Mainship. Auto parts stores sell headliner glue in spray cans. I first put old sheets down to protect all surfaces. I then pulled down the lose portion of the headliner and sprayed both the headliner and the overhead. I have a squeegee I use in the shower so I put the headliner back up starting from the inside and used the squeegee to push towards the outside. It worked perfectly. It got a little tricky around light fixtures.

Automotive headliner attachment glue works fine for this problem. Use a tube from WD40 can - cut the end with wire cutters to 60 degrees to help penetrate without tearing. Spray the contact cement on both sides and let it dry. Then only after it has dried, press the two parts together and smooth with plastic spreader. If you don't let it dry it will not stick.

We had the same problem on our 390 Mainship. Auto parts stores sell headliner glue in spray cans. I first put old sheets down to protect all surfaces. I then pulled down the lose portion of the headliner and sprayed both the headliner and the overhead. I have a squeegee I use in the shower so I put the headliner back up starting from the inside and used the squeegee to push towards the outside. It worked perfectly. It got a little tricky around light fixtures.

:thumb::thumb:
Worked perfectly on a car headliner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom