Have boat manufacturers gone NUTS ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs multiple "small engines" when you can have two 627 HP 376 cu in Cadillac V-8 powerd outboards. 1094 pounds each!

Only $90,000 each

boatingmag.com/building-seven-marine-outboard

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 6225GEPTLYSNO74A32MHCFYOXU.jpg
    6225GEPTLYSNO74A32MHCFYOXU.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I have no idea what your all talking about...

Attachments

• Misty3.jpg
    Misty3.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 43
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 38
Land Yacht!

Much Fun!!

PS: I found that if I punch up to enlarge photo... and then double click on that photo image... the photo enlarges and gets correctly upright.

Attachments

• 1967 Wildcat - 9-30-2019.jpg
    1967 Wildcat - 9-30-2019.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Wildcat - New Paint.jpg
    Wildcat - New Paint.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Cat  Engine etc..jpg
    Cat Engine etc..jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have a problem with the people with their fuel guzzling boats. With all we know about what burning fuel does to the environment, it’s everyone’s responsibility to do what they can to stop that. I, as well as all of you, are part if the problem, but I do what I can to limit my emissions and fuel use. Part of the reason I bought a boat that goes slow is to do just that. To own one of those boat makes you, in my opinion, a careless and selfish jerk who shoots yourself in the foot for the sake of attracting women or for a thrill. The next generations will pay for your short sighted selfishness.

We loved the RIBS/tenders that allowed us some real speed and the ability to take everyone skiing so often.
That combined with the jet skis contributed to the trips and weekends varied and great memories.

I have a problem with the people with their fuel guzzling boats. With all we know about what burning fuel does to the environment, it’s everyone’s responsibility to do what they can to stop that. I, as well as all of you, are part if the problem, but I do what I can to limit my emissions and fuel use. Part of the reason I bought a boat that goes slow is to do just that. To own one of those boat makes you, in my opinion, a careless and selfish jerk who shoots yourself in the foot for the sake of attracting women or for a thrill. The next generations will pay for your short sighted selfishness.

Careful with that kind of talk. As an avid sailor who just recently went to the dark side, I can tell you there are many sailors who would say the same thing about you and your trawler.

I'm still stuck in the past with the standard looking type vessels. The boats with multiple, high hp OBs I see in my harbour are no less attractive than the new style cruisers. They are both ugly to me.

But then, I am not in the market for a brand new vessel! That says it all I think?

They all have engines too. My C&C 38 has a 30hp Yanmar which gets used close to half of the time for lack of wind. I’m also a liveaboard so the increased space of my full displacement trawler was the goal. I get your point though. That’s why I mentioned that, though I’m part of the problem, I do what I can.

I have those thoughts about my own boat sometimes. But I also don't spend as much time traveling on the boat as many others, so even though I burn through fuel quickly, I don't necessarily burn all that much more in total. And realistically, in an average year, we put as much or more fuel through the cars than the boat. So while it's definitely an issue, it's far from the biggest improvement that can be made in the world.

What if your slow old diesel pollutes more than fast new outboards burning unleaded gasoline? Not saying it does, but it might........

Do people really need 50’ yachts with every comfort? Always amuses me when people who live in glass houses throw stones...

My 40’ yacht is also my home, so I don’t heat or air condition a house. I also don’t air condition the boat. I also don’t drive everywhere. I also live near the place I work. I also don’t eat meat, mostly for environmental reasons. There are many other things I do to “do what I can”. So... of which glass house do you speak?

I recall my first outboard cabin cruiser. You needed a full quart of oil in a 6 gallon tank of gas. SAE30 non-detergent motor oil. Don't overfill the tank or the oil won't fit. The oil came in round metal quart cans and you needed 1/2 case aboard if on a trip
I later bought a Homelite 55 outboard for that boat. It was great not to have to deal with oil and smoke.

My 40’ yacht is also my home, so I don’t heat or air condition a house. I also don’t air condition the boat. I also don’t drive everywhere. I also live near the place I work. I also don’t eat meat, mostly for environmental reasons. There are many other things I do to “do what I can”. So... of which glass house do you speak?

"My 40’ yacht is also my home, so I don’t heat or air condition a house. I also don’t air condition the boat. I also don’t drive everywhere. I also live near the place I work. I also don’t eat meat, mostly for environmental reasons. There are many other things I do to “do what I can”. So... of which glass house do you speak?"

Congratulations - the list of what you "do not do" is quite extensive and impressive.

I presume that’s sarcasm. That’s ok, my conscience is relatively clear because of those things. I just don’t like wasteful people. I think they’re trash.

I presume that’s sarcasm. That’s ok, my conscience is relatively clear because of those things. I just don’t like wasteful people. I think they’re trash.

"I just don’t like wasteful people. I think they’re trash."
I have a family, have flown for work, owned homes, boats , cars, trucks, coached, traveled , enjoyed many experiences,, developed large scale machinery, worked in factories , etc - perhaps I am one of the trashiest you know.
Absolutely no problem with my conscience either.

Proud to be wasteful. They should put that on your gilded tombstone so your grandkids will have no question about who to blame, but I digress.

Last edited:
Proud to be wasteful. They should put that on your gilded tombstone so your grandkids will have no question about who to blame.

Yes - exactly , there will be a very long list of what I have done involving many folks.

And yours will be a long list of what you "did not do".
Its especially perfect that everyone can choose what they want and ultimately get what they want.

From my very humble beginnings I have achieved much, but those things aren’t a part of my point. The things that I do are inherent in the things that I mentioned that I don’t do. It sounds though, by the way you presented yourself, that you’re in it for yourself, while I consider everyone else in my decisions. Therein lies the difference.

Well, as long as your not judgmental about your virtue signaling......

Great and fun comments on this topic! But, seriously, we’re looking at a wasteful generation of carbon and other pollutants into our atmosphere from excessive recreational vessel power, mega-yachts, etc). It is sad that our Federal and State regulators such as the EPA and state equivalents don’t address marine carbon footprints, as well as many do with overboard discharges. Power to weight limitations, additional fuel taxes (say $.25/gal to go toward carbon remediation, etc.) on recreational vessels with engines in excess of 300 h.p., speed limits in more waters (especially where marine mammals live and wakes erode shorelines), and other restrictions would be steps toward better environmental stewardship.

While COV-19 is an immediate threat to millions of people, so is global warming, although at a slower visible pace. Let’s be wise on both counts! Support good environmental stewardship!
(I can hear the reaction this will receive already! Ouch!)

So, are you a sailor with electric propulsion? Or what fuels you. Surely not diesel.

Bla Bla Bla,
Since we all can have an opinion you now have mine.

What I get tired of is people that think everybody else should live by THEIR standards, I have thoughts on the way I should live and I dont get "holy er than thou" with others that don't agree.

This is a POWER boat site, if you don't like powerboats go somewhere else.
HOLLYWOOD

Why do people rag on power-boaters? Realistically, I wouldn’t be surprised if one oil fired power plant puts out the same amount of pollution as the entire earth’s recreational boats.

Perhaps someone here has hard statistics to show the impact that boats have on the environment.

I saw one two months ago at a gas station in Naples, Florida, it had manufacturers plates on it. Blue and black and all gorgeous!

Different strokes for different folks. Never had a Corvette, would consider a 50s, through about 71 or this new one. Yeah..there is an F40 in there. These are cheap when you start taking about Airplanes and boats.

Attachments

• 20190929_184208.jpg
    20190929_184208.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 32
Great and fun comments on this topic! But, seriously, we’re looking at a wasteful generation of carbon and other pollutants into our atmosphere from excessive recreational vessel power, mega-yachts, etc). It is sad that our Federal and State regulators such as the EPA and state equivalents don’t address marine carbon footprints, as well as many do with overboard discharges. Power to weight limitations, additional fuel taxes (say $.25/gal to go toward carbon remediation, etc.) on recreational vessels with engines in excess of 300 h.p., speed limits in more waters (especially where marine mammals live and wakes erode shorelines), and other restrictions would be steps toward better environmental stewardship.

While COV-19 is an immediate threat to millions of people, so is global warming, although at a slower visible pace. Let’s be wise on both counts! Support good environmental stewardship!
(I can hear the reaction this will receive already! Ouch!)

Bullshite, utter bullshite. Nothing warms my soul more that thick black diesel smoke from an old school motor.

Please don’t feed the

Attachments

• D0D71257-101D-4330-B660-B560FD1C1358.jpeg
    D0D71257-101D-4330-B660-B560FD1C1358.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom