Good Marine VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that one is the classic civilian distress freq for aviation. Trouble is, exceedingly few non-airline planes are monitoring that freq. And, I'm not even sure airlines do great job monitoring that. I never did on all my overwater flights. Far more used are the FSS freqs and the unicom freqs for uncontrolled airports such as 122.7 and .8. In "busy" island space, you are on some approach freq; in the middle of nowhere in uncontrolled space, you are busy listening to lots of planes for a dozen miles around at multiple airports. Best to have a green book with the listings of the freqs being possibly used along with that airband radio.
I have an Icom A110 that I have considered putting in my next boat. But not really for emergencies.

We always monitor 121.5 and 123.45 over the ocean. It's come in handy several times, and it's no big deal when there isn't any VHF to monitor and almost no radio traffic anyway.
Just last Atlantic crossing we were able to reach a small jet who ATC has lost contact with, who was at about our position but 4k ft higher on 121.5 and relay position reports, ect to gander on the HF for him.

In a previous life in law enforcement, we relied on Motorola and Uniden. I ran the devil out of an 18' I/O for 20+ years with a Uniden VHF - very rough outdoor exposed conditions. Current boat had two Icoms, both had issues with deteriorated mics and cords. Replaced with a pair of Uniden UM415's. Very happy. Having both a triple scan and selective scan we can enter a LOT of channels to scan which has been a huge benefit in busy seaways.

Ok here is a spot for my VHF story. In 2007 I bought a 1989 Lien Hwa 47. Loved the boat. I took it down from San Diego to Ensenada MX to have some work done at a reduced labor cost. Baja Naval there tunes in to channel 77. As I came in I was radioing them with out any response. As I pulled into an unknown slip I went below and tried my iCom on the lower helm. They responded.

When I returned to San Diego, I put up a new antenna and wiring. No good. So then I asked my neighbor what radio he had and he indicated he loved his Uniden that also had the remote you could walk around with. So I bought one. After installing it, I was on the bay and noticed a friends boat in front of me. I tried hailing and after some time he answered but said I was not coming across clearly. When I returned to the dock I called my marina manager on the VHF and she could hear me 100 yards away. Then I called her on my old 1980's vintage SH hand held and she said, Oh that's better. I had an electrician come out to check my installation and he said the Uniden must be bad, so I took it back to West Marine and they gave me a new one. Same problem. I could barely get reception just a couple miles away in Mission Bay. Then I tried my really old iCom and I got good reception. So I took the Unicom back and bought an iCom. Then I was getting reception sometimes all the way from Los Angeles. No more Uniden for me. Icom or SH. My new "to me" boat has Icom's so I'm good to go.

We always monitor 121.5 and 123.45 over the ocean. It's come in handy several times, and it's no big deal when there isn't any VHF to monitor and almost no radio traffic anyway.
Just last Atlantic crossing we were able to reach a small jet who ATC has lost contact with, who was at about our position but 4k ft higher on 121.5 and relay position reports, ect to gander on the HF for him.

That is very good to know. It does seem worthwhile to have some vessel 121.5 Tx capability when going trans ocean; especially if no HF or sat com on board.
The context of my discussion was island to island flying, at 3k and below. There is almost constant unicom traffic.

What do you guys think of the vhf radios that have AIS included?? ok, or better to have stand alone AIS? Thanks

My cheap little GME radio only transmits AIS which I feel is a handy option.

It also has a distress button which allows an untrained (possibly panic stricken) person to do single button emergency call that will broadcast the boat position. The button has a cover to avoid accidental calls. My wife likes that option.

What do you guys think of the vhf radios that have AIS included?? ok, or better to have stand alone AIS? Thanks

I have a Standard Horizon GX2200 with AIS that dose a nice job of putting the ais targets on the screen of the radio and also my Garmin / radar. Lots of bells and whistles. However I think it is just as (maybe more)important to transmit so will still add a transceiver. So a little duplication.

Sailor is by far the best and by far the most expensive, I have one that's thirty five years old and works perfect, has a handset instead of a mic which I really like plus they offer playback for the last few minutes of reception. I believe new ones are over a grand now though.

Agree wholeheartedly!

Standard Horizon = Yaesu which is also a most excellent brand.

ICOM, no slouch.

Sailor still beats 'em all. IMHO :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom