Old 02-26-2022, 12:37 PM   #161
Guru

War and Boating

Strange that we find ourselves watching yet another military conflict on TV with all its death and destruction. I don't want to start talking about political views on this great forum despite my personal anger towards the aggressor and will only say my prays are with those suffering.

What's this got to with boating? Well over the years when we have gone through difficult times, we have been fortunate to own a boat allowing us time on the water to escape (if only for a few hours) real-word problems. You just turn off the satellite TV and enjoy nature as you cruise ever so slowly feeling the motion of the boat in the gentle swells (on a nice day).

Today we find ourselves without trawler to escape all the reality of what's going on around the world and at home but at least we have the little Sandpiper sitting the garage ready to go. The weather forecast is looking good early next week and we both agreed a couple hours cruise inside the harbor will do us both good. Still need to get those sails installed but we have the whole spring and summer to figure all that out.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:24 AM   #162

City: North Coast BC
John, I have totally enjoyed following your journey's to the point that I finally joined this forum. Mainly because I have never read a string that could go 50 plus pages and everyone remained civil and respectful. I have a question though. You stated that your original 38E plan was to truck it to the East coast. Is that really doable for 14 foot wide boat and if so did you ever get a cost estimate. If that makes sense then I can start including some eastern vessels in my search to truck to the west coast.
Kiltuish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:03 AM   #163

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: SCHIEDAM
Vessel Model: PELIN EMPRESS
Very nicely written indeed, Julie and myself agree, do it now whilst you can. We brought our first Launch last year, she is old school, loved it the minute we saw it.
Never want to leave everytime we go to her on the berth or to sea on an adventure, it is just so wonderful for the soul.
Warmest regards to all from sunny New Zealand and our magnificent Hauraki Gulf here in Auckland.
anchorkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #164
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltuish View Post
John, I have totally enjoyed following your journey's to the point that I finally joined this forum. Mainly because I have never read a string that could go 50 plus pages and everyone remained civil and respectful. I have a question though. You stated that your original 38E plan was to truck it to the East coast. Is that really doable for 14 foot wide boat and if so did you ever get a cost estimate. If that makes sense then I can start including some eastern vessels in my search to truck to the west coast.
You will need to talk with a boat transport trucker to see what their capabilities are.
~30 yrs ago I had a ride on a 55 SeaRay Sedan Bridge, 16.5 ft wide, with its owner and the owner of a 72 Hat SF, over 18'. Both had been trucked long distance, one from Lake Superior, the other from Texas, to near Vancouver. The Hat owner had better stories, but both were entertaining me with their tales of trucking their boats.....Not saying it is easy, but they did it.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:14 PM   #165
Guru

Overland Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltuish View Post
No problem shipping the boat overland (done all the time). Ballpark cost a few years ago was $15K. I'm sure it's more today. Good thing its only money and you can't take it with you.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #166
Guru

Down Sizing

Its hard to believe its been close to one year since we took delivery of the Sandpiper (Marshall Marine 15'6" Catboat) and while I still have a lot to learn about sailing its been another interesting journey. From buying a new build (unseen), incurring some damage during shipping across country, dealing with insurance companies for the repairs and finally having the sail rigged, lets say the first six months have been interesting. After one lesson I have been out four times solo, each time a new learning experience. I'm slowly building confidence within myself and the boat. I'm fortunate to have done my home work and found the best designed boat for my latest mission which includes a very stable, wide beam boat. She is also very forgiving which helps with my learning curve and safety.

While I'm not sure what the future holds for me and sailing I am realizing a few positives with this decision which I'll share in case anyone else decides to go against the norm or current and switch from power to sail or just downsize.

1. Smaller investment - Despite buying a high quality, well built boat with great classic looks (people stop us every time we go out asking about the boat) it was not that expensive allowing me to pay cash. No loans is great.
2. Trailering the boat is not new to me but it has been 20 years so I had to get use to it again. No big deal and being able to store the boat in the garage is dream. No dock fees and being to work on the boat anytime I want.
3. Electric engine with custom installation has worked out great so no diesel or gas to mess with.
4. I don't feel like I need to take the boat out to justify owning one. I go when I feel like it.
5. Day boating is much less stress than the larger trawler and longer trips.
6. I don't worry about weather, if its windy of chilly I stay home.
7. Adding to the boat is minimum but what I do add is not expensive.
8. The adventure of learning something new is priceless and what makes boating fun. Each time out I challenge myself a little more.

Just thought I would share these observations in case anyone was thinking about downsizing.

John
Old 09-17-2022, 02:33 PM   #167
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
This one?

https://www.marshallcat.com/sandpiper

Great looking little boat. Thanks for the update.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #168
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
No problem shipping the boat overland (done all the time). Ballpark cost a few years ago was $15K. I'm sure it's more today. Good thing its only money and you can't take it with you.
Sell stock, you pay a healthy tax on the capital gains.
If I recall, upon you death, tax free on $500,000 and a very healthy tax on the capital gains to Feds and state.

Aint life grand?
Old 09-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #169
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Sell stock, you pay a healthy tax on the capital gains.

If I recall, upon you death, tax free on $500,000 and a very healthy tax on the capital gains to Feds and state.

Aint life grand?
And you would be wrong. At death, all assets go into the estate at the value at date of death or six months earlier. The stock gets a stepped-up value such that, if it were sold at the same valuation there would be no taxable gain or loss. If the total value of all estate assets does not exceed $12 million dollars ($24 million for a married couple), there is also no estate tax.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:11 PM   #170
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
....While I'm not sure what the future holds for me and sailing I am realizing a few positives with this decision which I'll share in case anyone else decides to go against the norm or current and switch from power to sail or just downsize.

1. Smaller investment - Despite buying a high quality, well built boat with great classic looks (people stop us every time we go out asking about the boat) it was not that expensive allowing me to pay cash. No loans is great.
2. Trailering the boat is not new to me but it has been 20 years so I had to get use to it again. No big deal and being able to store the boat in the garage is dream. No dock fees and being to work on the boat anytime I want.
3. Electric engine with custom installation has worked out great so no diesel or gas to mess with.
4. I don't feel like I need to take the boat out to justify owning one. I go when I feel like it.
5. Day boating is much less stress than the larger trawler and longer trips.
6. I don't worry about weather, if its windy of chilly I stay home.
7. Adding to the boat is minimum but what I do add is not expensive.
8. The adventure of learning something new is priceless and what makes boating fun. Each time out I challenge myself a little more.

Just thought I would share these observations in case anyone was thinking about downsizing.

John
John, you post gives meaning to those immortal words spoken by Ratty in 'Wind in the Willows'. Y'all know how that goes. My Lotus had it on a small plaque right behind the main helm...
Attached Thumbnails
7EBBDEB6-CD35-4A11-A537-0768FE3105AD.jpeg  
Old 09-17-2022, 07:29 PM   #171
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
And you would be wrong. At death, all assets go into the estate at the value at date of death or six months earlier. The stock gets a stepped-up value such that, if it were sold at the same valuation there would be no taxable gain or loss. If the total value of all estate assets does not exceed $12 million dollars ($24 million for a married couple), there is also no estate tax.
State estate taxes vary by state.
They must have changed the Fed law when I wasn't looking. Back about 1997, the Feds just peeled off the top 50%. Stocks were valued at the date of death.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #172
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
N4061, might learning to sail the Catboat be preparatory to acquiring a cruising sailboat?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #173
Guru

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
Got the support glued in for the new fly deck fridge and got the back wood measured for the the rear support. Gonna cut the board at home tomorrow and get it screwed in and the fridge mounted tomorrow.

That will be the beginning of the flybridge clean up. A real spider's web in there. Needs a lot of re-wiring, The hook up of the stereo and amps and speaks, the chart plotter and the VHF replacement which will not go as planned as the steering cables interfere with it by evidence of broken off heat sink fins.

Steering is A#1. Have to adjust the previous plan of mounting radio, glove box and VHF. Previous owner added a pully to tension the steering cable away from the radio with some micky-mouse cable attached to an eye bolt. Removed that stuff.

Yeah, you got to get under the cover to see the evil below -
Delta Riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:16 PM   #174
Guru

The new fridge is in place although still not secured and needing the above panel that I'm working now which will mount glove box, stereo and VHF.

You can see the steering cable though the top holes and it's slack now as I removed the goofy pulley the PO installed to keep the cable from breaking the radio. The round hole is where I was going to install the new "gauge size" radio but that's not going to happen either. All going into the new above fridge panel -
Old 04-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #175
Guru

Another Journey

I'm somewhat surprised this thread remains open and members occasionally read it and add new topics. In case anyone is interested our new thread under electric boats has now started and focused on another new build. While not a trawler we are using this boat to further explore the possibilities of electrical power for another trawler after retirement. A few years ago I reported we were done with trawlers but my wife recently started the conversation about one more.

My posts on the new electric boat will include the decision-making process including the 90% rule, contracting with an overseas builder (no middleman) and importing the boat myself. A learning adventure to say the least but looking forward to the challenge and something new. Hopefully anyone reading it will pick up a point or two applicable to their boating adventures.

John T
Old 04-15-2023, 05:40 PM   #176

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Suu Kyi
Vessel Model: Custom 40' catamaran
Can you link to this thread, please, John. I am definitely interested.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #177
Guru

Link to Electric Boat New Build

Let's see if this link works

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...-new-post.html
Old 04-16-2023, 03:51 PM   #178

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Suu Kyi
Vessel Model: Custom 40' catamaran
Perfect. Thanks.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #179
Guru

Finished up my fridge replacement / glove box addition / new VHF radio / gauge size stereo project. Just need to add the 2 white fill pieces that are still drying on both side of the fridge.

Next I'll tension up the steering cables, rewire the whole thing with 2 DC circuits instead of "mystery" DC circuits, terminal blocks for both and the new set of blocks will go on the flip side of the new panel on the inside. The PO used some barrier strips with bare copper serpentined for a buss bar.

Amazing.

But the steering comes first because the weather is nice, the river is lower and it's time for our weekly boat rides!

And I can doo all these "filler projects" between the rides -
Old 05-24-2023, 09:09 PM   #180
Guru

Out for the first run of the year, fuel run. About an hour to the closest dock with diesel and pumped in 370 gallons. Took a while, their pumps are not fast. Paid the bill and back home we went. Got there about half past noon and returned 5:30.

Engines started right up after 6 months of sitting and ran strong and smooth as usual. Good half day on the river -