Getting Started and Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin Man

Veteran Member
Recent threads have suggested that insurance is a problem, cost-wise and maybe otherwise, for people just getting started in boat ownership. I have plenty of experience on my Dad's boats (31 and 43 feet) and I have bare-boat charted as well. However, the last time I piloted a boat is 15+ years ago. And I have never owned a boat myself.

One plan is to sell my business in the next year or two and move onto a 37 to 45-foot trawler for cruising the east coast and Bahamas with the seasons. Another option I am considering, experience-wise and cost-wise, would be a slightly smaller trawler (32-37 foot) for weekend and vacation cruising in New England, then upgrading when I am ready to retire full-time to live aboard a larger trawler.

Thoughts?

You might call a couple of insurance companies and see what they require to get insurance. There are brokers out there that may be able to help you. They may require that you get a captain to do some hands on training. Good luck.

Comodave had a good idea to use an insurance broker. They work with many companies and would know which company would work best for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom