Engine and transmission value?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Our boat is somewhat being parted out. We sold the boat. The hull and house are going to be used as small cottage on a bank overlooking pond.
The skeg, rudder, rudder shaft, prop and prop shaft have been removed. My question is does the Ford Lehman 120 with borg and Warner velvet drive have any value? The engine and transmission have approximate 5000 hrs on them.

Sad to have to say this but the value is marginal. 5,000 hours is not an awfully lot but to go through the trouble of swapping out an engine most people would prefer a total rebuild or low hours.

The individual components are VERY costly to replace (injector pump, manifolds, etc), Unfortunately they do not bring a high "used" price. I suppose the high shipping costs are a factor.

pete

There is someone on this forum looking for a running Lehman. Look for the thread from the past week or so.

There is someone on this forum looking for a running Lehman. Look for the thread from the past week or so.

Jay, you beat me to it. I believe it was for a Grand Banks 42.

Yes, there is value in it, someone will want it. It would be helpful if you had video of it running at temp. but I'm assuming you're not putting back in the water? Or are you going to motor over to said riverbank?

There is value in the engine as is or parted out, but I'm not sure I would expend the labor to make $1000. Once rebuilt the engine is probably worth north of $10,000. The transmission is a similar proposition. Worth $100 as is, $700 rebuilt. Not worth the labor to remove it.

Bomarc buys used engines as previously mentioned but you have to remove it and ship it. Not a trivial task

Interested in your engine. I have a project GB 42 and one of my 2715E 120 hp Lehmans is smoking and knocking.

It's probably worth in the neighborhood of $1,500 to 2,000 if it's rebuildable. Best bet is Grupet purchasing and putting it in his boat! Best of luck to both of you!

in 2000 I bought a running pair of 1990 Volvo TAMD41s to swap for my running pair of1980 TMD40s, at 4500hrs. I advertised in fishing trade magazines, listing my old engines for $5000 each or the pair for $7500. After running the ad for only a couple of months they sold, the first for $5000, then that buyer came back for the second. I only asked him for the balance of the $7500.
Canadian $.

I would expect your 5000 hr Lehman to be in that ballpark.

5,000 hours on a Lehman is just broken in well. They should have some value. Not sure how much but I would try for at least $4K.

in 2000 I bought a running pair of 1990 Volvo TAMD41s to swap for my running pair of1980 TMD40s, at 4500hrs. I advertised in fishing trade magazines, listing my old engines for $5000 each or the pair for $7500. After running the ad for only a couple of months they sold, the first for $5000, then that buyer came back for the second. I only asked him for the balance of the $7500.
Canadian $.

I would expect your 5000 hr Lehman to be in that ballpark.
I would think a Volvo would be worth parting out. Recently saw a thread on CruisersForum where the owner of a smaller engine needed a new fresh water circulation pump. Replacement was $2000. A few years ago I bought one for my Perkins 4.236 75hp and it seemed expensive at around $350.

Challenge with selling an engine by parts or whole is storage. No idea how long it will take to find the right buyer in the right location. If by parts, I'd get tired of crating stuff and shipping. Hassle of you're not dedicated to that type of work. Reminds me of the old stories about WW2 quartermaster shipping a Jeep home in parts to be reassembled after the war.....

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom